handbrake - 91 mazda protege

Old January 13th 05, 04:39 AM

Default handbrake - 91 mazda protege

My 91 mazda protege comes in a 4 disc brake variation. My mechanic
replaced the brakes about 6 months ago, and the handbrake stopped
working ever since. He told me that all I need to do is keep on
pulling on the handbrake up and down and eventually it will
self-adjust.

Looked on forums, talked to other mechanics, and each one told me the
same thing in different variations, such as go in reverse and keep
pulling on the handbrake, go forward pull on the handbrake a few
times, go reverse and pull on the handbrake and so forth. None of
these methods work.

When I get someone to pull on the handbrake, I can see looking at the
rear calipers that they're trying to squeeze the disc, but it's not
touching. I adjusted the handbrake cable, still doesn't work.

I went back to my mechanic and he replaced the rear calipers, which
didn't do anything, so he's putting my old ones back.

Any suggestions on why my handbrake is not working, keeping in mind
that it
worked perfectly fine before my mechanic replaced my breaks.

komiero *nospam* at hotmail dot com
Old January 13th 05, 04:50 AM
Lawrence Glickman

Old January 13th 05, 10:58 PM
lampsot

> >The "new" calipers are low-quality remans, I'll bet.

He said he paid $175 (CDN) each (350 for pair) and since my handbrake
was working 6 months ago before he fixed the break, he said he
installed them free of charge.

My dad's been going to him for the last 25 years, I don't think he was
trying to rip me off, but you never know.