Mercury outboard engine in a motorcycle ?

Old July 13th 06, 02:15 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
CHEF J

Default Mercury outboard engine in a motorcycle ?

I have a mercury 200hp outboard engine and im going to build a
motorcycle using it. What are going to be my major problems ?

Old July 13th 06, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Do you really expect answers on a complex custom installation such as you
propse in a casual forum like this, due respect here, but you need info from
a source that has tackled a job specifically like this.
ups.com...

Old July 13th 06, 05:47 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

CHEF J wrote:
> I have a mercury 200hp outboard engine and im going to build a
> motorcycle using it. What are going to be my major problems ?

I see maybe 3 biggies-

1) cooling. The engine is quite high output for the size, made possible
by the fact that in its native environment it has access to unlimited
quantities of cold cooling water.

2) The drive shaft speed may not 'match' to a reasonable transmission
without some pre-gearing. Most motorcycle engines have a hefty
reduction gear (tucked behind the clutch) before the power gets to the
transmission.

3) the engine is made to be operated with the driveshaft pointing down
(or down then back if you keep the whole shebang). Awkward to deal
with, perhaps.

My vote would be to do the project, but make it a rat bike. If you
don't know what that is, google "rat bike". I'm envisioning wooden
forks and a car radiator as I type...

Dave

Old July 13th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jeffcoslacker[_16_]

Wrote:
> CHEF J wrote:
> > I have a mercury 200hp outboard engine and im going to build a
> > motorcycle using it. What are going to be my major problems ?

> I see maybe 3 biggies-
>
> 1) cooling. The engine is quite high output for the size, made possible
> by the fact that in its native environment it has access to unlimited
> quantities of cold cooling water.
>
> 2) The drive shaft speed may not 'match' to a reasonable transmission
> without some pre-gearing. Most motorcycle engines have a hefty
> reduction gear (tucked behind the clutch) before the power gets to the
> transmission.
>
> 3) the engine is made to be operated with the driveshaft pointing down
> (or down then back if you keep the whole shebang). Awkward to deal
> with, perhaps.
>
> My vote would be to do the project, but make it a rat bike. If you
> don't know what that is, google "rat bike". I'm envisioning wooden
> forks and a car radiator as I type...
>
> Dave

It's funny that he posted this here...just last week a guy offered me a
75hp Evinrude...and I was looking at an XS650 frame in my shed, thinking
"Hmmmm...."

--
jeffcoslacker
jeffcoslacker's Profile:

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old July 13th 06, 11:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

Oh, sorry I didn't know you successfuly completed one of the projects and
can give the requested comprehensive advice/directions.
oups.com...

Old July 14th 06, 12:30 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Shep wrote:
> Oh, sorry I didn't know you successfuly completed one of the projects and
> can give the requested comprehensive advice/directions.

I didn't want to brag..

Jim

Old July 14th 06, 12:47 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

CHEF J wrote:
> I have a mercury 200hp outboard engine and im going to build a
> motorcycle using it. What are going to be my major problems ?

Before I go into that, I'd like to ask you what you expect this
project to end up looking like (with regards to things like sitting
position, engine placement), how much do you expect this to end up
costing, and how long do you think it's going to take.

Generally speaking, when people tell me how much/how long they think,
I advise them that it's usually 2x-3x as much, as long.

Your idea as to what it's going to look like will help drive the
planning process; will the motor be located in the typical motorcycle
location, what model, # of cylinders, FI or carb, 2 stroke or 4 stroke,
where you will sit, etc.

Have you considered a trike?.. Can you weld and fab your own parts?

Jim

Old July 14th 06, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"CHEF J" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> I have a mercury 200hp outboard engine and im going to build a
> motorcycle using it. What are going to be my major problems ?

A few years ago, a friend of mine took an outboard engine and installed
it in his Toyota pickup.

That particular engine turned out to be a Buick V6 that Evinrude or
somesuch had applied.

It fit a GM tranny perfectly.

He had no problems at all except for the normal complaints of fabricating
motor mounts, getting the exhaust rerouted, etc.

Maybe his was a special case, but it worked out fine.

Mercury engines may be a bit of a different kettle of fish, but if you
are determined to do it, I have no doubt that you can solve all the little
annoyances.

Old July 14th 06, 04:10 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Mark Olson" > wrote in message

> Are you SURE it was an *outboard* and not an "inboard-outboard"?
> Completely different kettle of fish. I'm quite sure there's no
> GM V6 used by Evinrude or any other manufacturer in an _outboard_.
> Love to be proven wrong, if I am.
>
> I can think of one particular Mercury Marine engine that would drop
> right into a Corvette... not used in an outboard, though.

Am quite sure it was an outboard.