Pertronix coil

Old December 26th 04, 06:45 PM
Mike Anthony

Default Pertronix coil

Hello

First of all Merry Christmas / Nadolig Llawen to all.

Now, down to business. Has anyone any experience of using the Pertonix
Flame Thrower coil? I'm using my Alfetta GTV as my daily driver and I
understand that the Pertronix coil gives a bigger spark and, therefore,
makes starting easier. With the current cold, damp weather this has obvious
attractions for me but I'm always sceptical about these things until I get
some decent feedback.

Grateful for any advice

Mike
1982 Alfetta GTV

Old December 27th 04, 10:50 AM
Catman

Mike Anthony wrote:

> Hello
>
> First of all Merry Christmas / Nadolig Llawen to all.
>
> Now, down to business. Has anyone any experience of using the Pertonix
> Flame Thrower coil? I'm using my Alfetta GTV as my daily driver and I
> understand that the Pertronix coil gives a bigger spark and, therefore,
> makes starting easier. With the current cold, damp weather this has
> obvious attractions for me but I'm always sceptical about these things
> until I get some decent feedback.

I suspect you'd be better spending your money on leads / plugs. I know my
V6 can be somewhat sluggish in the damp, but we have a fueling issue as
well.
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old December 27th 04, 12:11 PM
Mike Anthony

"Catman" > wrote in message

> I suspect you'd be better spending your money on leads / plugs. I know my
> V6 can be somewhat sluggish in the damp, but we have a fueling issue as
> well.

I'm sure that's absolutely right. Plugs and leads are changed regularly.
Don't get me wrong, it's never actually failed to start (touch wood) - so I
don't have a problem I need to solve. It's just that I'm a great believer
in giving myself every advantage possible and if I can fit something that
might conceivably help ... (belt and braces and all that)

Good luck with the fuel issue on the Giulietta (I'd like to see that beast
one day - I followed your build stories with great interest)

Cheers

Mike

Old December 27th 04, 12:33 PM
Catman

Mike Anthony wrote:

> "Catman" > wrote in message
>
>> I suspect you'd be better spending your money on leads / plugs. I know
>> my V6 can be somewhat sluggish in the damp, but we have a fueling issue
>> as well.

> I'm sure that's absolutely right. Plugs and leads are changed regularly.
> Don't get me wrong, it's never actually failed to start (touch wood) - so
> don't have a problem I need to solve. It's just that I'm a great believer
> in giving myself every advantage possible and if I can fit something that
> might conceivably help ... (belt and braces and all that)

Aye. I know what you mean. Thing is the V6 AFAIK never really had any
starting issues [1] and unless you are beginning to suffer from compresion
loss, or maybe wear in the air sensor, I can't see why it would now. [2]

> Good luck with the fuel issue on the Giulietta (I'd like to see that beast
> one day - I followed your build stories with great interest)

It needs a custom FI system. It's our own fault for slamming in cams from
an SZ, really. Currently it does 2/3 of sod all under about 3.5-4k and
then explodes like a banshee that's having a *really* wild night. Not
terribly driveable. Oh, and it gets about 140 miles from a tank........

Cash permitting, it will be fitted next year and I will make an effort to
get it to Alfa Day anyway. There were so few Giuliettas there, it made me
very sad. Then we just need to find a carpet, new seats and finish the
dash..

[1] Apart from the primtive cold start system that meant you could blow the
bonnet off if you tried
[2] Sudden thought, the GTV probably has carbs? or is it FI?

Old December 29th 04, 12:17 PM
Dr Entropy

Catman wrote:

> Mike Anthony wrote:
>

>>"Catman" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>I suspect you'd be better spending your money on leads / plugs. I know
>>>my V6 can be somewhat sluggish in the damp, but we have a fueling issue
>>>as well.

>>I'm sure that's absolutely right. Plugs and leads are changed regularly.
>>Don't get me wrong, it's never actually failed to start (touch wood) - so
>>don't have a problem I need to solve. It's just that I'm a great believer
>>in giving myself every advantage possible and if I can fit something that
>>might conceivably help ... (belt and braces and all that)

If yer HT system is in good nick a "hotter" coil should be fine... but
stash the "old" one inna boot as an onboard spare anyhoo ;-}

> Aye. I know what you mean. Thing is the V6 AFAIK never really had any
> starting issues [1] and unless you are beginning to suffer from compresion
> loss, or maybe wear in the air sensor, I can't see why it would now. [2]
>

>>Good luck with the fuel issue on the Giulietta (I'd like to see that beast
>>one day - I followed your build stories with great interest)

> It needs a custom FI system. It's our own fault for slamming in cams from
> an SZ, really. Currently it does 2/3 of sod all under about 3.5-4k and
> then explodes like a banshee that's having a *really* wild night. Not
> terribly driveable. Oh, and it gets about 140 miles from a tank........

Is the FI chip controlled on that beastie? I thought you'd be fittin' a
set of Dellortos! Not as dependable, but jetting/setting would seem to
be a bit easier.

> Cash permitting, it will be fitted next year and I will make an effort to
> get it to Alfa Day anyway. There were so few Giuliettas there, it made me
> very sad. Then we just need to find a carpet, new seats and finish the
> dash..

Damn geography... I wanna see it too!

Old December 29th 04, 01:34 PM
Catman

Dr Entropy wrote:
<snip>

> Is the FI chip controlled on that beastie? I thought you'd be fittin' a
> set of Dellortos! Not as dependable, but jetting/setting would seem to
> be a bit easier.

How do you mean controlled? It can't be re-programmed without some
expensive kit that none of my people own. The new system can be re-mapped
from a laptop as you drive.....

Dellortos were a possibility, but generally considered not worth it since
the engine came with FI. A decent set of carbs here would probably run to
similar amount as the new FI system.

>> Cash permitting, it will be fitted next year and I will make an effort to
>> get it to Alfa Day anyway. There were so few Giuliettas there, it made
>> me
>> very sad. Then we just need to find a carpet, new seats and finish the
>> dash..
>>

> Damn geography... I wanna see it too!

You know you're welcome to our l'il ole island

Old December 30th 04, 11:11 AM
Dr Entropy

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:34:31 +0000, Catman pee'd inna snow:

> Dr Entropy wrote:
> <snip>
>>>

>> Is the FI chip controlled on that beastie? I thought you'd be fittin' a
>> set of Dellortos! Not as dependable, but jetting/setting would seem to
>> be a bit easier.

> How do you mean controlled? It can't be re-programmed without some
> expensive kit that none of my people own. The new system can be re-mapped
> from a laptop as you drive.....

That's what I was wonderin': You have a FI wot is basically
"non-programmable" yes? And you are fitting the new one to be able to
"tune as you go"?

> Dellortos were a possibility, but generally considered not worth it
> since the engine came with FI. A decent set of carbs here would
> probably run to similar amount as the new FI system.

That 'splains it. I just had a mental image of a set of IDA downdraft
Webers bolted up, stacks stickin' thru cutouts inna bonnet... not a pretty
thought ;-}

>>> Cash permitting, it will be fitted next year and I will make an effort
>>> to get it to Alfa Day anyway. There were so few Giuliettas there, it
>>> made me
>>> very sad. Then we just need to find a carpet, new seats and finish
>>> the dash..
>>>

>> Damn geography... I wanna see it too!

> You know you're welcome to our l'il ole island

My list of "Things To Do" includes that trip. May be a while, tho.

--
Dr E--
mhm 17x1

Linux: Load it, Learn it, Love it.
Old December 30th 04, 01:26 PM
Catman

Dr Entropy wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:34:31 +0000, Catman pee'd inna snow:
>
>> Dr Entropy wrote:
>> <snip>
>>>>
>>> Is the FI chip controlled on that beastie? I thought you'd be fittin' a
>>> set of Dellortos! Not as dependable, but jetting/setting would seem to
>>> be a bit easier.

>> How do you mean controlled? It can't be re-programmed without some
>> expensive kit that none of my people own. The new system can be
>> re-mapped from a laptop as you drive.....

> That's what I was wonderin': You have a FI wot is basically
> "non-programmable" yes? And you are fitting the new one to be able to
> "tune as you go"?

Correct.

>> Dellortos were a possibility, but generally considered not worth it
>> since the engine came with FI. A decent set of carbs here would
>> probably run to similar amount as the new FI system.
>>

> That 'splains it. I just had a mental image of a set of IDA downdraft
> Webers bolted up, stacks stickin' thru cutouts inna bonnet... not a pretty
> thought ;-}

Oh I dunno. One could drag in small children and any small, yet valuable
itmes left by the road side

>>> Damn geography... I wanna see it too!

>> You know you're welcome to our l'il ole island

> My list of "Things To Do" includes that trip. May be a while, tho.

I know that feeling.