OT - Memorial Day Thanks

Old May 30th 05, 10:49 AM
Ben

Default OT - Memorial Day Thanks

I just want to say thanks to all my great uncles, friends, my father in law,
and others for fighting in WWII..
I also want to say thanks to my father in law again and friends for fighting
in the Korean War...
I also want to say thanks to my father in law once again for fighting off
the Libyans in 1968 during a coup.. Yes.. On his head stone he is listed as
being a Vetern of 3 wars.. 30 years of military service.. Bronze Star with
honors, 3 purple hearts, and was a POW during WWII.. He fought from Africa
all the way to Berlin...
I want to thank my Uncles, friends, and others for fighting a war where
people at home had turned on them.. I have one uncle that served 2 years in
Vietnam and come home with 3 purple hearts and was spit on by left wing,
communist, hippie tree huggers... I have a friend that went over and came
back with 1 purple heart and nightmares.. Even to this day..
I want to thank my brother, friends and others that fought in Desert
Storm...
I want to thank my friends and others that are fighting right now.. Far from
home... In Afghanistan, Iraq and other places in the world... Thinking about
their loved ones.. sons, daughters, spouses...

But most of all... I want to thank the ones that never made it back... They
should never be forgotten... They died not in vain, but to perserve our way
of life, our freedom...

Again.. Thanks...

Ben
95 YJ 2.5L

Old May 30th 05, 01:28 PM
Stephen Cowell

"Ben" > wrote in message

> I have one uncle that served 2 years in
> Vietnam and come home with 3 purple hearts and was spit on by left wing,
> communist, hippie tree huggers...

You couldn't do it, could you? You couldn't let the opportunity
go by... well, *I'm* not taking your political bait. We'll talk about
this some other day... not today.

Today is not the day for talking about the purposes of war...
that would inevitably cloud the reflection and celebration
we're doing today.

Today is a day for remembering, and yes, celebrating, those
who served by giving their lives.

So have a good holiday... but, if you happen to notice around
3pm local time, pause and think of those that fell.
__
Steve
..

Old May 30th 05, 01:38 PM
Snow

Different Nation, but why not, They should be honoured and saluted everyday
for what they have done and still do.. Thanks to all the vets on both sides
of the border who have fought on foreign shores. Thanks to my 2 Grandpa's
who fought in Europe (one stationed 20 miles behind the lines in a support
role and the other as an aircraft armourer), to my great great uncle who
died Nov 8, just 3 days before the end of the war to end all wars. Thanks
to all those out there on active duty around the world and special thanks to
those who gave all so we could be here today.

"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward
glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.

Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have
always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with
your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane,
take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind."

Major Michael Davis O'Donnell
Dak To, Vietnam
Listed as KIA February 7, 1978

Snow...

Old May 30th 05, 07:29 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ditto, and I want to thank my Dad:
http://www.billhughes.com/grandpa.jpg Fanther-in-law:
http://www.billhughes.com/JohnConley/johnconley.pdf and best friend:
http://www.billhughes.com/mitchell.jpg too.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 30th 05, 10:10 PM
RJ

Stephen Cowell > wrote:

> *I'm* not taking your political bait. We'll talk about
> this some other day... not today.
>
> Today is not the day for talking about the purposes of war...
> that would inevitably cloud the reflection and celebration
> we're doing today.

In paragraph 2 you did just what you said you wouldn't do in paragraph
1.
Old May 30th 05, 11:22 PM
Stephen Cowell

"RJ" > wrote in message
m...
> Stephen Cowell > wrote:
>
> > *I'm* not taking your political bait. We'll talk about
> > this some other day... not today.
> >
> > Today is not the day for talking about the purposes of war...
> > that would inevitably cloud the reflection and celebration
> > we're doing today.

> In paragraph 2 you did just what you said you wouldn't do in paragraph
> 1.

You'll have to elaborate...
__
Steve
..

Old May 31st 05, 03:06 AM
Eric

And my Dad too. Served a full career in the Army, to include tours in
Vietnam. He worked so hard for months on end to be able to come to my
commissioning in uniform:

http://www.baileyscorner.com/images/DadMeFormal.jpg

Eric

Old May 31st 05, 03:16 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That is so... Cool!
A friend and his Son at his basic graduation:
http://www.billhughes.com/daveMikeGomez.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old May 31st 05, 05:55 AM
Will Honea

Bill, I was the first active duty NCO's kid to graduate from the Air
Force Academy. Dad showed up with more fruit salad than I had ever
seen to swear me in - and collect that buck for the first salute. I
got the privilege of returning the favor a couple of years later when
I showed up to present his Bronze Star with V Device.

On Tue, 31 May 2005 02:16:21 UTC L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

--
Will Honea
Old May 31st 05, 06:29 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Will,
Cool!
I actually know quite few families that been part of a change of
command.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/