Remote starter X5 3.0i ?

Old December 12th 04, 05:47 PM
RideRT

Default Remote starter X5 3.0i ?

Has anyone installed a Remote Starter gizmo ?

My wife's been nagging me for a while now and I am looking at having one
installed.

Is there a good aftermarket unit ?

My local BMW dealer will probably take me to the cleaners on this...

I am in Toronto, by the way.

Txs.

DS

---

Old December 12th 04, 10:17 PM
Frank Kemper

"RideRT" > haute in die Tasten:

> My wife's been nagging me for a while now and I am looking at having one
> installed.

Did your wife tell you any reason for wanting such a strange devivce in an
otherwise nice car?

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old December 12th 04, 11:07 PM
Dan Drake

On 12 Dec 2004 22:17:17 GMT, Frank Kemper >
wrote:

>"RideRT" > haute in die Tasten:
>
>> My wife's been nagging me for a while now and I am looking at having one
>> installed.

>Did your wife tell you any reason for wanting such a strange devivce in an
>otherwise nice car?

I don't know where *he* lives, but *you've* obviously never lived
anywhere really cold, like northern Scandinavia. Remote starters have
been around for 20 years or more, and before you s****** at anyone
wanting one, consider how - 20 years or so ago in central Europe - you
would have s******ed at anyone wanting air conditioning in their car.

I'm still blessedly grateful for power windows, self-canceling turn
signals, self-parking wipers, windscreen washers, heaters, etc.

Old fart signs off...
--
Dan Drake
Old December 12th 04, 11:23 PM
Frank Kemper

Dan Drake > haute in die Tasten:

> I don't know where *he* lives, but *you've* obviously never lived
> anywhere really cold, like northern Scandinavia.

What do you think about a remote controlled heater for that?

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old December 12th 04, 11:32 PM
Dan Drake

On 12 Dec 2004 23:23:00 GMT, Frank Kemper >
wrote:

>Dan Drake > haute in die Tasten:
>
>> I don't know where *he* lives, but *you've* obviously never lived
>> anywhere really cold, like northern Scandinavia.

>What do you think about a remote controlled heater for that?

I'm not sure what your point is. The point of a remote starter, as
far as my experience goes, *is* to function as a remote (pre) heater,
among other things. I guess you have to have lived somewhere really
cold in order to understand.
--
Dan Drake
Old December 13th 04, 12:22 AM
Frank Kemper

Dan Drake > haute in die Tasten:

> I'm not sure what your point is. The point of a remote starter, as
> far as my experience goes, *is* to function as a remote (pre) heater,
> among other things. I guess you have to have lived somewhere really
> cold in order to understand.

My understanding of a remote starter is this: A device which allows you to
remotely start the engine, so that the car stands there with an idling
engine. I live in germany and the only time I have heard about such devices
was a story about panicked US citizens who like to have the engine running
before they enter the car so that they can leave the scene as soon as
possible. I would not like the idea of an abandoned car standing around
with running engine, because something went wrong with the remote control.

Pre-heaters are quite common, even in Germany. Usually you can either start
them manually, by a clock, by a radio remote control or by a short message
command from your mobile phone. But that does not require to start the
engine. A good pre-heater will warm up the interior of the car, defrost all
windows and warm up the cooling water of the engine to avoid cold start
wear.

BTW: Many modern direct injection diesel engines are equipped with
additional heating systems to provide enough warm air for the passengers.
Usually it is qite affordable to upgrade them to an independent pre-heater.

Frank

Citroen - Made in Trance
Old December 13th 04, 12:43 AM
Dan Drake

On 13 Dec 2004 00:22:04 GMT, Frank Kemper >
wrote:

>Pre-heaters are quite common, even in Germany. Usually you can either start
>them manually, by a clock, by a radio remote control or by a short message
>command from your mobile phone. But that does not require to start the
>engine. A good pre-heater will warm up the interior of the car, defrost all
>windows and warm up the cooling water of the engine to avoid cold start
>wear.

So what does this pre-heater use for fuel, if it's not the car's
engine? It can't be much of a heater if it just uses the car's
battery, surely?

I remember, about 25 years ago, remote starters being quite common in
Sweden, where most people who lived in the cities, including those who
had covered parking for their cars, used them.

Perhaps smarter ancillary heaters have now replaced their function.
Back then, it was primarily a way to unfreeze the car and get it warm
before you stepped outside to drive away in it. And a pretty damned
good idea, too, considering the alternative.
--
Dan Drake
Old December 13th 04, 01:33 AM
Randolph

Dan Drake wrote:

> So what does this pre-heater use for fuel, if it's not the car's
> engine? It can't be much of a heater if it just uses the car's
> battery, surely?

There are several types, the most common being an electric block heater
and an electric space heater in the cabin, both running of household
current. Not so great if you park in a place with no A/C outlet.

Another type burns fuel (either gas / diesel fuel from the vehicle fuel
tank or kerosene from a separate tank). Thus type will use power from
the car battery to run a small fan etc.
Old December 13th 04, 02:00 AM
RideRT

I live in Canada and all of my wife's friends at work have one in their
cars.

As a matter of fact, it is very popular in this part of the world.

Essentially you start the car with a remote control, up to 250m, the car
stays locked and you let it run for 10-15 minutes - pretty nice to have when
it's -20C or colder. Most units will shut down in 30 minutes or less if you
forget.

I wondered if someone had one installed, and what model would you recommend
?

DS

"Frank Kemper" > wrote in message
> Did your wife tell you any reason for wanting such a strange devivce in an
> otherwise nice car?
>
> Frank

---

Old December 13th 04, 02:13 AM
Oldun

Dan,
Look at the following web site leisurelinksonline.com.
In their alarms section the LLE-052 seems to be what you are looking for.
The price is £99 whatever that is in your neck of the woods.

Remove OXO if replying to me.

Oldun

remote unlock engelbert Audi 6 January 17th 05 01:53 PM
x 5 3.0i Milwana BMW 0 November 10th 04 10:27 PM
156 V6 starter motor Ppelectron Alfa Romeo 2 October 29th 04 01:40 PM
156 - screeching starter motor? fmt Alfa Romeo 5 September 30th 04 11:06 PM
replacement remote for E34? reggie BMW 2 September 27th 04 07:50 PM