78 VW Rabbit Diesel 1.5 Fuel Injector Timing Question

Old August 4th 06, 05:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JH

Default 78 VW Rabbit Diesel 1.5 Fuel Injector Timing Question

I recently replaced the cylinder head, head gasket, timing belt,
injector heat shields, timing belt, and tensioner on my 78 VW Rabbit
Diesel. The car will start and idle, but has no torque, and lots of
blue smoke, and dies when I pull the injector advance knob. I
concluded that now that a new timing belt and tensioner has been
installed, the injector timing is off.

I followed the steps in the Bentley manual to measure the injector
timing. Using the dial, I have found that the injection timing is set
to 1.32mm (Spec is .83mm).

I can't figure out how to adjust the injector timing....I have loosened
the three allen head bolts on the injector pump plate per the manual.
I can not remove the bolt w/ the yellow paint w/ the standard type
screw head, it's stuck. I don't know how to "turn the pump". The
instructions are vague in both the Bentley and Haynes manuals.

Do I need to loosen the screw with the yellow paint in addition to the
three allen head bolts? Have I loosened the correct screws? Now, how
do I adjust the pump down to .83mm?

Thank you!

Jeff

Old August 4th 06, 07:10 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I don't know what bolts you removed . You loosen the mounting bolts that
hold the whole pump to the engine bracket. I think two are accessed from
the engine side, the other is from the belt side. You rotate the whole pump
side to side. loosen the fuel lines when you turn the pump and retighten
them when your done. or the lines will crack from stress. One way advances
,The other retards. Don't turn the bolt with the paint on it. Its set with
the pump on a test stand.
ups.com...

Old August 4th 06, 07:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I want to be clear. The bolts you loosen, are the ones you would remove if
you wished to remove the pump from the engine. Mounting bolts. Just loosen
them enough to rotate the pump. .132 is so far out it isn't funny. you're
lucky it started.
et...

Old August 7th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
JH

Thank you to all who responded. My 78 Rabbit Diesel now runs after
replacing the cylinder head, head gasket, timing belt, tensioner, and
injector heat shields. I adjusted the injector timing to .83mm
(Bentley manual spec). The car runs, but it doesn't have as much power
as it did prior to the rebuild.

Is .83mm the proper spec (in your experience) for the injector pump
timing? I have seen other posts where they suggest 1.05mm for the same
car???

If this isn't the problem, I'm thinking the injectors maybe dirty. Do
you recommend replacing the injectors w/ rebuilt injectors, cleaning,
or just replace the nozzle? I have seen nozzles advertised that have a
larger diameter. What is recommended?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

Old August 7th 06, 05:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

See if the timing number is on the under hood sticker , it will have a
optimal and a range. I will find my rabbit manual tomorrow.
oups.com...

Old August 8th 06, 11:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Mike L

Hello Jeff,

IIRC there is a standard spec from .75 to .90 and an advanced spec of
..90 to 1.05
if you need more power (and smoke & less fuel milage). The advanced
spec is
for "worn" engines that have lost power over the years.

My best compromise has been .90 on my '81 Rabbit. (The in between
setting)

Mike L

Old August 10th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Paul Stevens

JH wrote:

> If this isn't the problem, I'm thinking the injectors maybe dirty. Do
> you recommend replacing the injectors w/ rebuilt injectors, cleaning,
> or just replace the nozzle? I have seen nozzles advertised that have a
> larger diameter. What is recommended?

As I recall, the manual recommends replacing the injectors
every 50,000 miles.

I think I put 80,000 miles on my injectors (don't have a clue
how many miles they already had on them), before I replaced
them. The new injectors definitely made a difference.

--
Paul Stevens

Old August 10th 06, 02:39 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Paul Stevens

JH wrote:
> Thank you to all who responded. My 78 Rabbit Diesel now runs after
> replacing the cylinder head, head gasket, timing belt, tensioner, and
> injector heat shields. I adjusted the injector timing to .83mm
> (Bentley manual spec). The car runs, but it doesn't have as much power
> as it did prior to the rebuild.
>
> Is .83mm the proper spec (in your experience) for the injector pump
> timing? I have seen other posts where they suggest 1.05mm for the same
> car???
>
> If this isn't the problem, I'm thinking the injectors maybe dirty. Do
> you recommend replacing the injectors w/ rebuilt injectors, cleaning,
> or just replace the nozzle? I have seen nozzles advertised that have a
> larger diameter. What is recommended?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Did you check the valve clearance, after the head was
reinstalled?

--
Paul Stevens

Old August 16th 06, 06:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
none2u

I had mine on .90mm too. i tried the worn specs once and it wouldnt start in
winter. .83mm wouldnt cut it in my book.
"Paul Stevens" > wrote in message
> JH wrote:
>> Thank you to all who responded. My 78 Rabbit Diesel now runs after
>> replacing the cylinder head, head gasket, timing belt, tensioner, and
>> injector heat shields. I adjusted the injector timing to .83mm
>> (Bentley manual spec). The car runs, but it doesn't have as much power
>> as it did prior to the rebuild.
>>
>> Is .83mm the proper spec (in your experience) for the injector pump
>> timing? I have seen other posts where they suggest 1.05mm for the same
>> car???
>>
>> If this isn't the problem, I'm thinking the injectors maybe dirty. Do
>> you recommend replacing the injectors w/ rebuilt injectors, cleaning,
>> or just replace the nozzle? I have seen nozzles advertised that have a
>> larger diameter. What is recommended?
>>
>> Thanks in advance!
>>

> Did you check the valve clearance, after the head was
> reinstalled?
>

> --
> Paul Stevens

Fuel injector expected lifespan? TeGGeR® Technology 65 August 1st 07 03:50 PM
1993 Saturn Fuel Filter Question OHC (SOHC)? [email protected] Saturn 7 May 21st 06 08:39 PM
Accord Diesel zonie Honda 23 September 8th 05 06:40 AM
Jeep CRD in Massachusetts googleposter Jeep 20 September 7th 05 04:25 PM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM