Recommendation on place to change timing belt?

Old October 21st 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

Default Recommendation on place to change timing belt?

Hi,

I have a 2003 Honda Accord EXV6. Does anyone have any recommendations
on a place to take it for the timing belt/water pump change in
Chicagoland area. I called Schaumburg Honda and they quoted $1075!
Seems steep, but maybe that's how much this stuff goes for nowadays.
I prefer Dealer, but would consider an independant if I see a lot of
folks recommending one.

Thanks,
Shaj
Old October 22nd 08, 02:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MLD

> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have a 2003 Honda Accord EXV6. Does anyone have any recommendations
> on a place to take it for the timing belt/water pump change in
> Chicagoland area. I called Schaumburg Honda and they quoted $1075!
> Seems steep, but maybe that's how much this stuff goes for nowadays.
> I prefer Dealer, but would consider an independant if I see a lot of
> folks recommending one.
>
> Thanks,
> Shaj

Highway robbery!! timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant etc should
be in the range of $600 to $800 depending on where it's done--and that
includes dealers. Get on the phone and call several dealers, you'll be
surprised at the variance in prices.
MLD

Old October 22nd 08, 04:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:11:41 -0400, MLD > wrote:

> wrote in message
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a 2003 Honda Accord EXV6. Does anyone have any recommendations
>> on a place to take it for the timing belt/water pump change in
>> Chicagoland area. I called Schaumburg Honda and they quoted $1075!
>> Seems steep, but maybe that's how much this stuff goes for nowadays.
>> I prefer Dealer, but would consider an independant if I see a lot of
>> folks recommending one.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Shaj

>Highway robbery!! timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant etc should
>be in the range of $600 to $800 depending on where it's done--and that
>includes dealers. Get on the phone and call several dealers, you'll be
>surprised at the variance in prices.
>MLD

I bet that $1075 includes a pile of other work outside the timing belt and
water pump.
Old October 22nd 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 09:11:41 -0400, MLD > wrote:
>
> wrote in message
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I have a 2003 Honda Accord EXV6. Does anyone have any recommendations
>>> on a place to take it for the timing belt/water pump change in
>>> Chicagoland area. I called Schaumburg Honda and they quoted $1075!
>>> Seems steep, but maybe that's how much this stuff goes for nowadays.
>>> I prefer Dealer, but would consider an independant if I see a lot of
>>> folks recommending one.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Shaj

>>Highway robbery!! timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant etc
>>should
>>be in the range of $600 to $800 depending on where it's done--and that
>>includes dealers. Get on the phone and call several dealers, you'll be
>>surprised at the variance in prices.
>>MLD

> I bet that $1075 includes a pile of other work outside the timing belt and
> water pump.

And there is a big chanse that a dealer quoting $800 over the phone
will find a way to convince you of doing something else and totaling >$1000.

I am so glad my 2004 4-cyl does not have a timing belt... :-)

Old October 22nd 08, 10:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Wed, 22 Oct 2008 15:09:10 -0500, Pszemol > wrote:
>"AZ Nomad" > wrote in message

>>>Highway robbery!! timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant etc
>>>should
>>>be in the range of $600 to $800 depending on where it's done--and that
>>>includes dealers. Get on the phone and call several dealers, you'll be
>>>surprised at the variance in prices.
>>>MLD

>> I bet that $1075 includes a pile of other work outside the timing belt and
>> water pump.

>And there is a big chanse that a dealer quoting $800 over the phone
>will find a way to convince you of doing something else and totaling >$1000.

>I am so glad my 2004 4-cyl does not have a timing belt... :-)

pushrods? I've also heard of timing chains breaking at < 120K miles.
It would be nice if the engines didn't self destruct after a belt/chain
failure.

I once had a pontiac lemans (korean version) that broke a belt and
survived without any valve damage.
Old October 22nd 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Eternal Searcher

AZ Nomad wrote:

> pushrods? I've also heard of timing chains breaking at < 120K miles.
> It would be nice if the engines didn't self destruct after a belt/chain
> failure.

Toyota has been using timing chains on their 4-cylinder engines for about 10
years now. I haven't heard about any widespread chain failures in those.

> I once had a pontiac lemans (korean version) that broke a belt and
> survived without any valve damage.

Was this an interference engine, or non-interference? Non-interference
engines don't experience valve damage if a timing belt (or chain) breaks.
Old October 22nd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
MLD

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> "AZ Nomad" > wrote in message

>>>Highway robbery!! timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant etc
>>>should
>>>be in the range of $600 to $800 depending on where it's done--and that
>>>includes dealers. Get on the phone and call several dealers, you'll be
>>>surprised at the variance in prices.
>>>MLD

>> I bet that $1075 includes a pile of other work outside the timing belt
>> and
>> water pump.

> And there is a big chanse that a dealer quoting $800 over the phone
> will find a way to convince you of doing something else and totaling
> >$1000.

> I am so glad my 2004 4-cyl does not have a timing belt... :-)

Same applies if you went in just to have something done like rotating tires.
So what's that got to do with the price of a timing belt replacement? Your
comment adds a big nothing to the discussion.
MLD

Old October 23rd 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Eternal Searcher wrote:
> AZ Nomad wrote:
>
>> pushrods? I've also heard of timing chains breaking at < 120K miles.
>> It would be nice if the engines didn't self destruct after a belt/chain
>> failure.
>>

> Toyota has been using timing chains on their 4-cylinder engines for about 10
> years now. I haven't heard about any widespread chain failures in those.
>

>> I once had a pontiac lemans (korean version) that broke a belt and
>> survived without any valve damage.

> Was this an interference engine, or non-interference? Non-interference
> engines don't experience valve damage if a timing belt (or chain) breaks.

but they don't develop high power outputs either. if you have a high
performance, high compression engine with valve timing that allows you
to red line at 7krpm or more, you're going to have an interference
engine - it's the price you pay.

properly maintained belts don't break, and they don't stretch either.
technically, they're a much superior solution. chains are only good for
whiners that don't understand, and are happy having their engines'
performance degrade faster.
Old October 23rd 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Pszemol wrote:

>>> Highway robbery!! timing belt, water pump, drive belts, coolant etc
>>> should
>>> be in the range of $600 to $800 depending on where it's done--and that
>>> includes dealers. Get on the phone and call several dealers, you'll be
>>> surprised at the variance in prices.
>>> MLD

>> I bet that $1075 includes a pile of other work outside the timing belt
>> and
>> water pump.

> And there is a big chanse that a dealer quoting $800 over the phone
> will find a way to convince you of doing something else and totaling
> >$1000.

won't succeed unless you let them.

> I am so glad my 2004 4-cyl does not have a timing belt... :-)

no you're not. chains stretch, and when that happens, the cam timing
drifts. that in turn leads to lower power, poorer emissions, etc.

belts are much superior in that respect because they do not stretch.
and properly maintained, they never break either.

2.4L timing belt change Doug Chrysler 2 July 19th 07 03:02 AM
timing belt change newman Honda 11 June 2nd 07 07:40 AM
always change your timing belt before this happens rob Auto Photos 264 April 18th 07 02:25 PM
Timing belt - change or not Martik Technology 11 August 31st 05 12:28 AM
Timing Belt Change Simon Audi 10 August 26th 04 04:52 AM