Looking for a part - 92 Cabriolet engine cooling

Old September 7th 08, 02:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Paul Stevens

Default Looking for a part - 92 Cabriolet engine cooling

On the 1992 Cabriolet, the housing on the cylinder head for connecting the
radiator hose is made of plastic. I discovered this when the housing split
into
three pieces while I was stopped and idling. I still had an old engine (or
most
of it) from my 1982 sitting in the garage, and it's housing was aluminum.
The
'82 part was heavily corroded and the temp probes are completely different,
but it was enough to get the car home without resorting to a tow.

I really don't like the idea of using plastic parts in the cooling system,
and I'd
rather replace the housing with an aluminum one. Does anybody know of a
source for an aluminum housing that will use the temp probes from the 1992
Cabriolet? If not, is there an online dealer that would stock the plastic
part
(getting parts from the local VW dealer has been a hassle in the past)?

Old September 7th 08, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1[_2_]

Check out www.rockauto.com in the cooling system and it might be called
'Flange Kit' under $8.
Usually there are 5% coupons out there but you would only save how much?
;-)
See it that is the correct one that you need.
--
later,
(One out of many daves)

> On the 1992 Cabriolet, the housing on the cylinder head for connecting the
> radiator hose is made of plastic. I discovered this when the housing
> split into
> three pieces while I was stopped and idling. I still had an old engine
> (or most
> of it) from my 1982 sitting in the garage, and it's housing was aluminum.
> The
> '82 part was heavily corroded and the temp probes are completely
> different,
> but it was enough to get the car home without resorting to a tow.
>
> I really don't like the idea of using plastic parts in the cooling system,
> and I'd
> rather replace the housing with an aluminum one. Does anybody know of a
> source for an aluminum housing that will use the temp probes from the 1992
> Cabriolet? If not, is there an online dealer that would stock the plastic
> part
> (getting parts from the local VW dealer has been a hassle in the past)?

cooling system part name? RickinSLC Ford Explorer 1 June 20th 08 06:41 AM
92 SL2 engine cooling fan Andrew Stone via CarKB.com Saturn 6 April 27th 05 06:22 AM
Engine Cooling Flaps Randall Brink VW air cooled 12 February 10th 05 12:31 AM
95 engine cooling fan dk Saturn 5 July 22nd 04 12:53 PM
92 Saturn Engine Cooling Fan the_brewmaster Saturn 5 July 9th 04 11:43 PM