Collision damage to aluminum hood + headlight assembly shattered

Old December 13th 04, 04:34 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sun, 12 Dec 2004, s wrote:

> Not necessarily in all instances.

True.

> But the bugeye Morette projectors are
> pretty good

True.

> and were a significant upgrade from the factory reflector lights.

The Valeo optics in the '04+ Morettes are a significant upgrade from the
factory optics -- even though both are the reflector type.
Old December 13th 04, 01:30 PM

Are they E-code pattern lights like the projectors were? That would make
for some improvement over the factory patttern.
The factory bugeye lights were single-lamp reflectors with 9007s, so
upgrading to Morettes was a significant improvement since they are
dual-lamp units with E-code H7 projectors and H1 high beams. The 04 is
already dual-lamp (H1/9005) from the factory so it's better to begin
with. I haven't actualy seen the comparison for myself but I'm thinking
the improvement from installing Morettes in an 04 isn't as dramatic as
with an 02-03? They're also equally expensive as the old projector ones
(actually more from what I've seen at $600+), and I've also seen reports
of quality issues regarding the lamp units not being secured properly
although I have no confirmation of that.

Old December 13th 04, 05:04 PM

"My right headlight assembly was shattered, and the bulb's (H1)
filiment broke off. The front reflector was reaaranged, and
I tried to bend it back"

Pics?

Old December 13th 04, 06:20 PM

FYI the HIDs aren't an option. They are standard on the US model STi and
not offered on any other Impreza. However it is possible to purchase
them separately and do a DIY swap with the OEM halogens. Direct
mechanical installation and a bit of wiring.
In Canada the STi comes with the same halogen lights as the other
Imprezas due to the legal requirement for DRLs.

Old December 13th 04, 09:42 PM
y_p_w

Steve wrote:
> y_p_w wrote:
>

> > wrote:
> >
> >> Who cares about the headlight? If its cracked the whole assembly

will
> >> be replaced c/o your insurance. Your best bet is to go to the

body
> >> shop and get an estimate. They;ll tell you what you need.

> > I know that. I'm getting the estimate tommorrow. I was actually
> > hoping that I could fix the part just to be able to drive it, but
> > it's a special order part. However - I still need a car to drive
> > in the meanwhile, and I'm wondering if it's going to explode if
> > it rains.
> >

> COld water hitting a hot halogen capsule can cause the capsule to

burst.
> "Explode" is a strong word, but I wouldn't want to be standing next

> one when it goes "pop." Hot glass shards hurt.

Sure. One of the things about the setup is that there are two
reflectors. The first is metal and protrudes in front of the
bulb. It practically covers the bulb. The light from this
reflector is bounced back to the plastic reflector and projected
forward.

> And stop driving with the d*** foglights on, too. All you're doing is

> blinding oncoming traffic. Get a new headlamp and fix it right.

I wouldn't normally drive with my fogs on, unless there's thick
fog. I've found that fog lamps are practically useless except
for driving under 20 MPH in a fog bank. They certainly give the
impression that one can see better, which is why so many clueless
drivers leave them on intentionally. I live in the SF Bay Area,
and fog is "not uncommon". However - the factory fogs don't
project too far, and are nowhere near as blinding as some of the
badly aimed aftermarket fog lamps I've run across. I could
actually see pretty well with one headlight, but I was worried
that if the right (badly aimed) one went out, I might want the
fogs on for added visibility, and maybe avoid a ticket.