Vue 2004, V4 5-speed Manual---Opinions?

Old June 13th 04, 12:14 AM
MSEagan

Default Vue 2004, V4 5-speed Manual---Opinions?

My husband and I test drove a Vue today. We took it on the highway and it
seemed to have good power even though it was only a V4, 5-speed. So, I am
wondering if there are any red flags with this car that any of you know of?
We could go to the V6 FWD automatic, but we may want to buy another car
(possibly an Ion 2, 2004), and the V4 manual makes this option much more
affordable. We also like the better fuel economy. Thanks for any help.

Old June 13th 04, 03:16 PM
Glomis

Blah blah wrote:
> The weirdest engine i've seen was a V5. I think audi makes that.

How do you 'V' a five banger? I know there are straight 5's but I'm
interested in how a V5 is put together.

Cheers!

Glomis

Old June 13th 04, 05:16 PM
Blah blah

In article >,
says...
> Blah blah wrote:
> > The weirdest engine i've seen was a V5. I think audi makes that.

> How do you 'V' a five banger? I know there are straight 5's but I'm
> interested in how a V5 is put together.
>
> Cheers!
>
> Glomis

Very very carefully

Honda
http://www.bikernet.co.za/library/mo...es/honda-2.jpg

VW
http://www.semler.dk/press/pressimag...6534_small.jpg

You just have to change the seperation in the crank journals and the
crank weights. The pistons no doubt dont share any crank journals so
they can be spaced out in what ever maner to make them the engine
smooth. Border line silly mostly.

Old June 13th 04, 05:54 PM
J Haggerty

I can't speak for the Saturn, but I have a Ford Escape with a 2.0 litre
4 with 5 speed trans, and it has plenty of power for moving the vehicle.
I also just returned from a 4500 mile vacation circuit and got 27.8 MPG
average over the distance. It has over 75,000 miles so far.
So, unless you're into heavy duty towing or need extra power to get to
the gas stations quicker (and more often), I wouldn't worry about a 4
cyl/5 speed combo on a vehicle like the Vue.
I've also read that the automatic CVT option on the Saturn is pretty
efficient compared to a normal automatic. I'm waiting for a few more
years to see how they hold up before getting one, though.

JPH

Old June 13th 04, 07:16 PM
Glomis

That Honda pic is interesting. I just assumed that having three pistons on
one side and two on the other would unbalance the engine. I guess there
must be some correction somewhere. How does the engine compensate - I'm
guessing the firing order? And if that is so, then wouldn't the pistons on
the '2' side get more strokes than those on the '3' side?

And thanks again for those pics!

Cheers!

Glomis

Old June 13th 04, 10:59 PM
Kirk Kohnen

Dork!

2 1/2 cylinders on each side.

Jeesh!

;-)

Old June 13th 04, 11:14 PM
Glomis

Ok...I think I've got it now. Seems like an awfully complicated design
process though!

Blah blah

Old June 13th 04, 11:16 PM
Glomis

Hmmm...never thought of that! I'll try to put a little more thought into my
comments, lest I make a silly one again! :-)

Cheers!