Drivetrain layouts?

Old March 25th 07, 02:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Paul Stevens

Default Drivetrain layouts?

Having owned two Rabbits and an 85 Jetta, I'm familiar with
VW's transverse engine, front wheel drive layout.

What other drivetrain layouts did VW use in models sold in
the US during the 1980's?

--
Paul Stevens

Old March 25th 07, 01:42 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

On Mar 24, 8:33 pm, Paul Stevens > wrote:
> Having owned two Rabbits and an 85 Jetta, I'm familiar with
> VW's transverse engine, front wheel drive layout.
>
> What other drivetrain layouts did VW use in models sold in
> the US during the 1980's?
>
> --
> Paul Stevens

They had an AWD (Synchro) system that went on some Vanagons, and I
believe the Passat?

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old March 25th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

So transverse and inline were mentioned for front wheel drive along with 4
wheel drive in the Quantums (Passat line).
What did the VW vans use? Rear engine and rear wheel drive with a
transaxle?

IIRC Chicago had a fleet of MANN (made by Volkswagen) reticulating buses at
one time used for public transportation. They were phased out probably due
to a lack of good regular maintenance. lol
Would they be considered mid-engine or drive wheels in the middle? <g>
Can't find any articles to back me up..............yet. ;-)
--
later,
dave

Old March 25th 07, 07:50 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
[email protected]

On Mar 25, 10:03 am, "dave AKA vwdoc1" > wrote:
> So transverse and inline were mentioned for front wheel drive along with 4
> wheel drive in the Quantums (Passat line).
> What did the VW vans use? Rear engine and rear wheel drive with a
> transaxle?
>
> IIRC Chicago had a fleet of MANN (made by Volkswagen) reticulating buses at
> one time used for public transportation. They were phased out probably due
> to a lack of good regular maintenance. lol
> Would they be considered mid-engine or drive wheels in the middle? <g>
> Can't find any articles to back me up..............yet. ;-)
> --
> later,
> dave
> (One out of many daves)

The RWD VW bus/camper used a flat-four w/a longitudinal engine and a
standard transaxle. The synchro-version used a transfer case off the
main drive to drive a center coupling and the front axle differential.
I am not sure wether the center coupling was a differential in its own
right or just a viscous coupling, but as it ws FT/AWD, there had to be
some allowance for slip between the front and read axles.

The VW Dasher used a longitudinal engine, by the way, w/FWD. When the
Quantum came along, the same system allowed the installation of a AWD
system without having to go to the difficult geometry of a transverse/
AWD system. Subaru uses a flat-four engine longitudinally mounted to a
viscous coupling and a differential at each axle. Volvo purchased that
system under license, but use a transverse engine.

Quick question: What is a "reticulating" bus? That would be a bus that
displays a regular repeating pattern of colors.... Oh, right,
Articulating...

Sorry, but the image just popped into my mind from a reticulated
python mixed with the image of an articulating bus weaving its way
through the streets of Chicago.

Peter Wieck
Wyncote, PA

Old March 25th 07, 08:14 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Paul Stevens wrote:
> Nate Nagel wrote:
>
>> wrote:

>>> They had an AWD (Synchro) system that went on some Vanagons, and I
>>> believe the Passat?
>>>
>>> Peter Wieck
>>> Wyncote, PA
>>>

>> Also the Fox used a very Audi-like longitudinal engine in front of the
>> front wheels, with a longitudinal transaxle behind it with the CV
>> flanges on the sides of the transaxle. Not sure why this was done on
>> the Fox, but on Audis it made AWD versions easy to accomplish.
>>
>> nate
>>

> -transverse engine, front wheel drive
> -(longitudinal engine?), all wheel drive
> -longitudinal engine, front wheel drive
>
> Did any models (or other manufacturers that used the same
> engines?) use front engine, rear wheel drive?

Porsche, in the 924 - but it still had a transaxle (in the rear of the
car.) Clutch and flywheel were on the engine, torque tube ran the
length of the car, transaxle under trunk floor.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old March 25th 07, 08:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
dave AKA vwdoc1

oops thanks for the correction.....articulating bus it is! <g>
But if you are trying to pass one of these Chicago buses it seems like it
snakes down the street making it hard to pass them. lol

OK I give up what is a "read axle"? ;-)
One day I plan to purchase an Audi Quattro where all the wheels receive
power. I hear changing the clutch on these vehicles are labor intensive. I
priced a clutch job for an Audi 5000 or 100 Quattro and it was close to
$3000 from the dealer. OUCH!
Porsche 914s had a mid-engine with transaxle and rear wheel driven.
Fieros had a mid-engine but not sure if it was transverse or
inline/longitudinal.
--
later,
dave

oups.com...

Old March 26th 07, 12:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled
Nate Nagel[_2_]

dave AKA vwdoc1 wrote:
> oops thanks for the correction.....articulating bus it is! <g>
> But if you are trying to pass one of these Chicago buses it seems like it
> snakes down the street making it hard to pass them. lol
>
> OK I give up what is a "read axle"? ;-)
> One day I plan to purchase an Audi Quattro where all the wheels receive
> power. I hear changing the clutch on these vehicles are labor intensive. I
> priced a clutch job for an Audi 5000 or 100 Quattro and it was close to
> $3000 from the dealer. OUCH!
> Porsche 914s had a mid-engine with transaxle and rear wheel driven.
> Fieros had a mid-engine but not sure if it was transverse or
> inline/longitudinal.

I *THINK* the Fiero was transverse, but don't quote me on that.

nate