2004 MSM

Old October 12th 09, 02:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Default HUGE TAK! (was: 2004 MSM)

Lanny Chambers wrote:
> In article >, pws >
> wrote:
>
>> Huge Inter cooler

> That's good. We wouldn't want our huge inter to get hot.
>
>> Wing (It help out with donw force around 160mph)

> Is Don W. one of John's relatives?
>
>> Runs like a camp

> Boot? Summer? Death?
>
>> includes wheels, paint & tires

> Pretty generous to let the paint go with the car.
>
>> Has all recipes

> This is how we justify the purchase to our wives.
>
>> HUGE TAK

> 'Nuff said.
>
>> car will go fast please NO low balls

> Not with a 10-foot pole would I touch that.

I have to give the seller some credit. This posting was well over a year
ago, maybe more than 2 years, and it is still good for a laugh or two.

What is kind of sad is that a lot of effort and some decent money went
into that Miata.
New wheels and removal of the wing, and it might have been a decent car.

One downside of the wing removal is that it would no longer have "donw"
force at that frequently-achieved speed of 160mph.

The engine compartment and the engine/turbo system was cleaner-looking
than mine has ever been while I have owned it. That Miata received a lot
of washing if nothing else.

Of course, the HUGE TAK! would have been left in place as the main
feature of the car.
Well, that, and the paint which he generously included rather than
sandblast the car..... ;-)

Pat
Old October 12th 09, 07:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Tom[_31_]

Default 2004 MSM

I bought my 2004 MSM new in Dec. 2004, so it is approaching 5 years
and about 75k miles. I have not had any problem with it other than
the wheels as was mentioned by someone else. I just had one of my
wheels straightened but next time I will just replace the set. I had
just bought tires this summer so I didn't want to have to start over.
I live near Mooresville NC so there are a lot of specialty shops
around here that work on cars. I did the complete exhaust system from
the header back and the complete intake system from FM and I love it!
Besides the much better sound, the performance is notably different.
I have not put it on a dyno but I am told it should be about 200
rwhp. The intake kit replaces that rubber elbow you mentioned, as
well as a much beefier blowoff valve. Mine vents to atmosphere so you
can definately hear it, some folks may not like that but FM has a
version that vents back to the intake. I still plan to replace the
intercooler with an FM version as the stock one is quite small, I've
been waiting for an excuse like a big rock in the fins or something...

The only issue I've had is to replace the shift boots but that is
normal for the age of the car. I like to drive the car on the
twisties and did an autocross once, but otherwise it is a daily driver
and I have not had any issues. I did try changing my transmission oil
to a Amsoil synthetic and had nothing but problems; notchy shifting,
etc. so I don't recommend using that brand. My previous Miata was a
'99 Sport which also had the limited slip differential but with a 5-
speed, and the shifting was much smoother than the 6-speed in the
MSM. The turbo does take a little getting used to, and the rpm/
redline you describe sounds normal to me. I was running up to the rev
limiter all the time when I first drove it, but you get used to it and
how to shift/accelerate quickly.

I think you will enjoy it once you get used to the difference. Some
people like the MSM, some do not. I'm sure you'll get other opinions
here, so take it all with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride!

Tom
'04 MSM

Old October 13th 09, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Pat wrote;
One downside of the wing removal is that it would no longer have "donw"
force at that frequently-achieved speed of 160mph.

I'd like to correct his pour gramer, Ime shure he ment something mour like
this;

One donwside of the wing removal ........... ok, I'll stop!

Chris
99BBB