Cleaning valve body

Old February 10th 05, 03:23 PM
Mauricio Tavares

Default Cleaning valve body

My 84 Scirocco currently have a AT. While I wait until I am
ready to do the swap to MT, I decided to go play a bit with the tranny.
So, its problem is that it only upshifts if you back off the gas pedal
almost to the point you are not touching it. Downshifting is not an
issue. Reading through the shop manual, they suggested to take the
tranny valve body out and soak it in some cleaner/solvent thingie. Now,
what should I use to do the deed?

--
Mauricio raub-kudria-com
(if you need to email me, use this address =)

Old February 12th 05, 02:08 AM
Woodchuck

Try cleaning yjr govenor first.

Old February 12th 05, 02:43 AM
dave AKA vwdoc1

Are the Accelerator cables and levers working freely at the transmission?
I am thinking that one of them is sticking in the 'downshift' position, if
that is possible.

Old February 15th 05, 04:28 PM
Mauricio Tavares

Woodchuck wrote:
> Try cleaning yjr govenor first.

I believe I tried that, but I am willing to try it again. =)

Old February 16th 05, 10:10 AM
ronh

My 92 Passat had a similar problem.
I replaced the filter and the upshifting improved considerably

As to the valve body, I took mine out and found it to be clean.

Old February 23rd 05, 02:35 PM
Mauricio Tavares

ronh wrote:
> My 92 Passat had a similar problem.
> I replaced the filter and the upshifting improved considerably

I have a new filter, so that is a given. I did not like finding some
very fine metal powder in the filter.

Also, I noticed the paint inside the transmission pan had cracked at a
few points where it was dinged. I wonder if some of that has gone
somewhere it should not. I also am thinking on taking the pan and have
it hot tanked to remove the paint but do not paint the inside anymore. I
do not even know why it was painted inside in the first place. :P

> As to the valve body, I took mine out and found it to be clean.

Mine is covered at a few points with a fine metal powder, the kind that
looks gray and you only know it is powder when you run your finger
through it. So I took the valve body completely apart (unfortunately, I
made a point to keep the different valves in separate and labelled
(based on the exploded view in the Bentley) ziplock bags. and now
want to find the best way to clean the empty valve body itself.

Old February 24th 05, 04:59 PM
Eduardo K.

In article >, Mauricio Tavares > wrote:
>ronh wrote:
>>

> Mine is covered at a few points with a fine metal powder, the kind that
>looks gray and you only know it is powder when you run your finger
>through it. So I took the valve body completely apart (unfortunately, I
>made a point to keep the different valves in separate and labelled
>(based on the exploded view in the Bentley) ziplock bags. and now
>want to find the best way to clean the empty valve body itself.

I clean mine with white gas.

--
Eduardo K. | Darwin pone las reglas.
http://e.nn.cl |