Help buying a winch

Old May 13th 05, 05:01 PM
Tom P

Default Help buying a winch

I have decided to get a winch for my wrangler. I am going to use it to pull
myself out of the mud and sand. I know squat about winches and would greatly
appreicate any advise you could offer in deciding on what to get. I would
rather rely on this group than a salesman.

Thanks in advance
Tom

Old May 13th 05, 06:04 PM
jbjeep

I prefer Warn.

The new T-maxx winches are supposed to be good. They are out of Aussie land. I do
not know anything about them tho.

Get one that is at least 1.5 times the weight of your rig. So if you rig weighs
approx 6000 lbs, get a 9000 or 12000 lb winch. If your rig weighs 3000 lbs then a
6000 or 8000 lb winch is sufficient.

Old May 13th 05, 06:28 PM
jbjeep

Oh yea, get or make up a winch kit with the neccisary tools in it (tree strap, chain,
gloves, etc), and get someone who knows what they are doing to take you out and go
thru the basic rules of winching and how to and not to do it so that you are doing it
in a saafe manner.

Depending on your location, you may want to look at winch rope instead of cable too.

Just a side note, you can buy a used winch (with caution) and it often is fine. I
picked my W9000i up at a swap meet and its been a great tool. All I did was e-mail
warn for the wiring specs and buy some cables and it was good to go.

Old May 13th 05, 07:30 PM
Greg

Although I don't know much about winches either, I go out with a bunch of
hard core 4 wheelers, they all say the best is the Warn 8274, I didn't know
why they liked that one till one outting about 6 vehicles had to be winched,
5 with the 8274 and the other with another model, but still a Warn, the
speed of the 8274 was probably 3 times the other one, not only on the
pulling speed but just getting the line out, I would say it was about the
same amount of time spent on the one jeep as it took the other 5 with their
8274. Also comes with a longer line then other models.

Old May 13th 05, 09:26 PM
Robert Bills

For a Wrangler, get a winch rated anywhere in the 8,000-10,000 range.
(Anything less won't give you enough pulling power when you need it
most, and isn't worth the price savings.) Brand is personal
preference. I like my Warn 8274, and have found Warn customer service
to be great. I do not like Ramsey. Milemarker hydraulic winches will
pull all day, but they are slow, require you to use your power steering
system to make them work, and won't work at all unless your engine is
running, therefore not the best choice for self-recovery.

As noted above, get the proper accessories such as shackles, chain,
tree strap, tow strap (loops at each end, no hooks), snatch block,
heavy leather gloves, etc. (Both Warn and Ramsey sell these in a kit.)
Be sure your jeep has adequate tow hooks and/or D-ring shackles at
both ends (all four corners is better), secured with the proper
hardware. Most important, learn how to use your winch safely and
practice using it before you need it.

You also want to give attention to your electrical system. A winch
draws a lot of current. Be sure your charging system is up to snuff,
all cables are fresh and connections clean and tight. You may want to
consider a dual battery set up with a battery isolator between the two.
That way your starting battery cannot be drawn down by your winch. (I
once watched a guy on the Rubicon Trail use his winch for less than a
minute when the engine was not running and drain his battery down so
far that he couldn't get the engine started again. By the time we
pulled a battery from another jeep to get close enough to use jumper
cables, he had backed up nearly 30 rigs and became the butt of some
very nasty comments on the CB.)

Oh, I almost forgot. Sometimes months can go by between winch uses.
After any trip where you use your winch, let the cable out and re-spool
it, making sure there are no kinks or signs of damage, and that the
cable is clean. Also, it's a good idea to make sure your winch is
working just before you hit the trail. I once found myself in a
"predicament" requiring quick work only to discover that the ground
connection for my winch, which hadn't been needed for 5 or 6 months,
had developed some hidden corrosion which prevented the winch motor
from operating. The problem could have been fixed in camp in less than
5 minutes had I bothered to check winch operation that morning.

Old May 13th 05, 11:58 PM
HomeBrewer

> speed of the 8274 was probably 3 times the other one, not only on the
> pulling speed but just getting the line out, I would say it was about the
> same amount of time spent on the one jeep as it took the other 5 with
> their 8274. Also comes with a longer line then other models.

The 8274 was the fastest, but now the Warn 9.5ti is right up there too. It
also has the thermometric indicator (TI). A light on the remote that tells
you if the winch is getting too hot. This thing is very nice for the
price...I've seen them for as low as $860 . I really like mine.
--
Rob
"When you decide something is impossible to do, try to stay out of the way

Old May 14th 05, 09:10 AM
Kevin C.

"Tom P" > wrote in message
>I have decided to get a winch for my wrangler. I am going to use it to pull
>myself out of the mud and sand. I know squat about winches and would
>greatly appreicate any advise you could offer in deciding on what to get. I
>would rather rely on this group than a salesman.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Tom

I don't work in the nicest area, so I want to be able to leave my winch at
home when I have no need for it. I'm saving up now for this:

http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/sr...ltimount.shtml

I've got the receiver on the front and back of my Wrangler already. All I
need now is the winch and wiring kit.

-Kevin C.

Old May 14th 05, 09:35 AM
Dave Milne

You could tack-weld the mounting bolts perhaps ?

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 14th 05, 02:44 PM
Jim Gemmill

Or, even better, tack-weld a piece of channel iron over one or more bolts
heads.
. uk...

Old May 14th 05, 03:20 PM
Greg

I just checked out a couple sites, but as for price, both sites showed it
being just over the price of the 8274, and 10 ft/per/minute less speed, 25
less cable, but one thing it does have going for it is 20 lbs less weight.

advice on car buying G Technology 9 April 14th 05 07:06 PM
Taking The Haggling Out Of Buying That New '05 Auto Azam Chrysler 0 January 15th 05 06:15 AM
Jeep TJ Rubicon Express Springs w/ winch? Derek Proctor Jeep 0 December 1st 04 11:48 PM
Winch??? Zenteren 4x4 4 March 24th 04 03:30 PM