99 Ford Taurus - Where is the VSS located?

Old May 30th 06, 05:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 99 Ford Taurus - Where is the VSS located?

Hello all,
The speedometer on my 99 Ford Taurus, which has a V6 3.0 L engine with an
AX4S transaxle and 130K miles on it, recently stop working. Engine scanning
gives an error code P500, which points to a malfunctioning vehicle speed
sensor... However, I have problem finding where the sensor is to replace it.
Hayes repair manual says it's on the transaxle housing and I've looked &
looked & looked... and still couldn't find it.
Can someone help me on this please?
Thank you so much for reading this.
VHD.

Old May 30th 06, 07:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

"Stanav" > wrote in message
> Hello all,
> The speedometer on my 99 Ford Taurus, which has a V6 3.0 L engine with an
> AX4S transaxle and 130K miles on it, recently stop working. Engine

scanning
> gives an error code P500, which points to a malfunctioning vehicle speed
> sensor... However, I have problem finding where the sensor is to replace

it.
> Hayes repair manual says it's on the transaxle housing and I've looked &
> looked & looked... and still couldn't find it.
> Can someone help me on this please?
> Thank you so much for reading this.
> VHD.

The VSS is located rear center of engine compartment on the trans axle.
To replace the VSS, raise the vehicle, remove the Y pipe, remove the VSS
heat shield, disconnect the VSS wiring harness, remove the VSS retaining
bolt and remove the VSS from the trans axle. You will know you have the
correct sensor by the color of the wires in the harness connector, they are
gry/blk and pnk/org.
--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old June 6th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

> The VSS is located rear center of engine compartment on the trans axle.
> To replace the VSS, raise the vehicle, remove the Y pipe, remove the VSS
> heat shield, disconnect the VSS wiring harness, remove the VSS retaining
> bolt and remove the VSS from the trans axle. You will know you have the
> correct sensor by the color of the wires in the harness connector, they are
> gry/blk and pnk/org.

Thanks Kevin,
But I used your instructions to find it, but accessing mine from the
top was possible.
leaning over the engine i removed the engine exhaust manifold heat
shield with three bolts. Then i found the sensor with the rectangular
tube heat shield around it. removed the cable and unbolted it using
the 10mm socket with wobble extension. Using the head mounted
flashlight was very hepful because it is hard to see. I didn''t need
to raise the car or disconnect the y pipe. Although you need to be
careful to not lean on the tube for the windshield washer squirters, i
broke mine accidentally. this may not be helpful to all because i have
a 1998 98 ford taurus 3.0 with the AX4N transmission. So the VSS
vehicle speed sensor may be different. But thanks kevin, i couldn't
have found mine without your discription. My symptoms were "service
engine soon" light and not shifing out of first gear when the engine
was warm ~ 30 miles of driving would heat it up.

Old June 6th 06, 12:11 AM posted to rec.autos.tech