fault codes

Old March 10th 06, 03:17 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default fault codes

adding to my earlier thread, I just hooked up one of those bavarian fault
code readers. for my check engine light, 3 faults came up. they a

-EVAP capillary leak (.5mm) detected
-misfire detected cyl #2
-misfire detected cyl #4

any tips on resolving these issues?

Old April 9th 08, 03:20 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
mark barron

wawa_bmw via CarKB.com wrote:
> adding to my earlier thread, I just hooked up one of those bavarian fault
> code readers. for my check engine light, 3 faults came up. they a
>
> -EVAP capillary leak (.5mm) detected
> -misfire detected cyl #2
> -misfire detected cyl #4
>
> any tips on resolving these issues?

I too have had several 'misfire detected cyl #2'. Please let me know
what you find out about this error. There is a Coil that sets directly over
each spark plugs in my e39 530i. The coil is connected to the plug.

with a rigid connector about 4 or 5 inches long.
Mark
Old April 9th 08, 06:52 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jeff Strickland

That misfire is the result of a failing coil or a damaged spark plug.

The coil has to be removed to get the plug out, so removal of the plug
should put your hands directly on the failed/failing part.

You can swap the coil to a different plug, and if the Code jumps to the new
location, then the coil is needing to be replaced.

"mark barron" > wrote in message
> wawa_bmw via CarKB.com wrote:
>> adding to my earlier thread, I just hooked up one of those bavarian fault
>> code readers. for my check engine light, 3 faults came up. they
>> a -EVAP capillary leak (.5mm) detected
>> -misfire detected cyl #2
>> -misfire detected cyl #4
>>
>> any tips on resolving these issues?
>>

> I too have had several 'misfire detected cyl #2'. Please let me know what
> you find out about this error. There is a Coil that sets directly over
> each spark plugs in my e39 530i. The coil is connected to the plug.
>
> with a rigid connector about 4 or 5 inches long.
> Mark

'94 Accord computer fault codes Ether Jones Honda 4 January 17th 06 07:00 PM
E36 Fault codes JohnP BMW 2 September 26th 05 09:53 PM
Can 02 Mustang show which cylinder misfires on scanner? John Shepardson Ford Mustang 3 August 29th 05 03:40 AM
Grand Cherokee fault codes Firebird Jeep 1 May 5th 05 01:52 AM
Fault Codes P1557 and P1136 Michael Malloy VW water cooled 2 September 27th 04 03:13 AM