'97 Intrepid, engine stops on highway

Old October 27th 04, 08:28 PM
George

Default '97 Intrepid, engine stops on highway

I have a '97 Intrepid with 70,000 miles. It ran really well until last week.
The temperature was 30F in the morning when I started the car. I drove for
about 45 minutes of highway and local driving and parked the car outside for
2 hours. It had warmed up to 50F. I started the car and drove about 1 mile
and the engine stopped when I stopped for a traffic signal. It immediately
started and ran well.

I drove it for about 30 more minutes and then parked it for a few hours. I
started it and drove for about 30 minutes with no sign of hesitation or
stalling and parked it for a few hours. I started it again and drove 2 miles
and got on the interstate. I was driving at highway speed for about 3 miles
and the engine stopped. There was 3/4 of a tank of gas at that time. I
coasted off to the shoulder and it cranked normally and would not start.
There was a lot of road noise so I couldn't hear if the fuel pump was
running when I turned the key on. I tried to start it about every 10 minutes
until the tow truck came (45 minutes). It only needed to be towed about 5
miles to a local garage and started immediately after the tow truck dropped
it off. They have checked that all readings are normal and there are no
engine codes. They have taken it for test rides and probed the wiring and
the car runs perfectly.

So now I have a car that is not dependable. Any suggestions?

Old October 27th 04, 08:33 PM
George

forgot to mention it is a 3.3l engine

Old October 27th 04, 08:33 PM
George

forgot to mention it is a 3.3l engine

Old October 28th 04, 11:59 PM
maxpower

George, if the fuel pump shuts off while you are driving you will slowly
lose power,and then cut off, not just shut off completly. I would think
that you have a faulty crank sensor, or something like that. That is where i
would start if you wanted to take a shot at fixing it
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
news

Old October 28th 04, 11:59 PM
maxpower

George, if the fuel pump shuts off while you are driving you will slowly
lose power,and then cut off, not just shut off completly. I would think
that you have a faulty crank sensor, or something like that. That is where i
would start if you wanted to take a shot at fixing it
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech
news

Old October 29th 04, 04:20 PM
Bill

I had what seems to be the same problem. It turned out to be the crank
and cam sensors. Two very cheap parts $35.00 each and a 1/2 labor to
install. It was around 80K when mine started. Everything is A OK now
at 150K.

Bill

Old October 29th 04, 04:20 PM
Bill

"George" > wrote in message >...
> I have a '97 Intrepid with 70,000 miles. It ran really well until last week.
> The temperature was 30F in the morning when I started the car. I drove for
> about 45 minutes of highway and local driving and parked the car outside for
> 2 hours. It had warmed up to 50F. I started the car and drove about 1 mile
> and the engine stopped when I stopped for a traffic signal. It immediately
> started and ran well.
>
> I drove it for about 30 more minutes and then parked it for a few hours. I
> started it and drove for about 30 minutes with no sign of hesitation or
> stalling and parked it for a few hours. I started it again and drove 2 miles
> and got on the interstate. I was driving at highway speed for about 3 miles
> and the engine stopped. There was 3/4 of a tank of gas at that time. I
> coasted off to the shoulder and it cranked normally and would not start.
> There was a lot of road noise so I couldn't hear if the fuel pump was
> running when I turned the key on. I tried to start it about every 10 minutes
> until the tow truck came (45 minutes). It only needed to be towed about 5
> miles to a local garage and started immediately after the tow truck dropped
> it off. They have checked that all readings are normal and there are no
> engine codes. They have taken it for test rides and probed the wiring and
> the car runs perfectly.
>
> So now I have a car that is not dependable. Any suggestions?

1991 750IL - Check Engine & Transmission Program megrp BMW 0 December 15th 04 04:33 AM
1990 520i engine probs Work Hard BMW 3 October 28th 04 05:01 PM
Intrepid engine noise... David Thuss Dodge 0 August 16th 04 09:02 PM