AAAAAllll this jibberish...

Old January 11th 05, 02:50 AM
Rick Colombo

Default AAAAAllll this jibberish...

What's with all these non-sensical subject lines and postings filled
with jibberish, what a waste of the Internet. Bye bye, -PapaRick

Old January 11th 05, 03:24 AM
Z.Z.

Rick Colombo wrote:

> What's with all these non-sensical subject lines and postings filled
> with jibberish, what a waste of the Internet. Bye bye, -PapaRick

Winter break s ending and the kiddies are coming back to school but classes
haven't started yet so they're bored.

I think this applies in this case...

"Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea; massive,
difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-
boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
-Eugene Spafford (quoted on Usenet) 96/01/05

Sadly, it's even more true today, nine years later...
Old January 11th 05, 03:52 AM
MudPuppy76

Z.Z. wrote:

> Rick Colombo wrote:
>

>>What's with all these non-sensical subject lines and postings filled
>>with jibberish, what a waste of the Internet. Bye bye, -PapaRick
>>

> Winter break s ending and the kiddies are coming back to school but classes
> haven't started yet so they're bored.
>
> I think this applies in this case...
>
> "Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea; massive,
> difficult to redirect, awe-inspiring, entertaining, and a source of mind-
> boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
> -Eugene Spafford (quoted on Usenet) 96/01/05
>
> Sadly, it's even more true today, nine years later...

"excuse me while i poke out my mind's eye"

--
Ben Jerew AKA PolarPuppy
ASE Certified Master Technician
Old January 12th 05, 06:48 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

Rick Colombo wrote:
> What's with all these non-sensical subject lines and postings filled
> with jibberish, what a waste of the Internet. Bye bye, -PapaRick

You should probably ask on one of the net.*.sysadmin.* groups for a
definitive answer, but this is something we see from time to time.

I gather that there's a certain person or perhaps a small clutch of
them (anything antisocial on the Internet is bound to attract
like-minded imitators and wannabees) who hold some obscure old grudge
that is manifested in this way: a script to spew word salad under
forged usernames. There's a particular name that's used for, or by, or
about him. It's on the tip of my tongue at the moment; I gather from
my elders and betters in the machine rooms of the world that the
phenomenon is well characterized and has been around a while.

Contemplating the headers of a few samples would doubtless reveal some
common demoninators if you wanted to direct a complaint properly,
though I'd imagine the perpetrator has already lost the (doubtless
sacrificial) ISP account he used this time or else the vulnerability he
hacked into has been closed.

There are all sorts of people on the Internet, including not only
askers and answers of questions and holders of reasonable dialogues,
but also ones who like to gather in little in-groups and hear each
other giggle, ones who scrawl grafitti, and ones who are just writing
down what the mother ship tells them to... Such times we live in.
--Joe