transmission problem

Old October 14th 04, 02:40 AM
Ricky

Default transmission problem

I just bought a 1990 chrysler new yorker,fifth avenue. it will go into
the first gears but will not go into overdrive. was hooked into a
computor and drove down the road. all codes were screwed up and the
transmission place said it probaly had been worked on before. They said
their best guess was everything from a celinoid module on the
transmission or a transmission computor. or a cvi whatever that is. When
you put this car into reverse it takes a few seconds to go into
gear.this morning it went through all the gears but then it acted like
it was slipping into overdrive. has anyone ever experienced this. a new
transmission is 1300.00 !! more than i accually paid for the car. the
guy i bought it from said it was just a 30.00 peice that was bad.If you
could email me and and tell me your opinion i would appreciate it my
email is Thanks ricky

Old October 14th 04, 11:20 AM
Bill Putney

Ricky wrote:

> I just bought a 1990 chrysler new yorker,fifth avenue. it will go into
> the first gears but will not go into overdrive. was hooked into a
> computor and drove down the road. all codes were screwed up and the
> transmission place said it probaly had been worked on before. They said
> their best guess was everything from a celinoid module on the
> transmission or a transmission computor. or a cvi whatever that is. When
> you put this car into reverse it takes a few seconds to go into
> gear.this morning it went through all the gears but then it acted like
> it was slipping into overdrive. has anyone ever experienced this. a new
> transmission is 1300.00 !! more than i accually paid for the car. the
> guy i bought it from said it was just a 30.00 peice that was bad.If you
> could email me and and tell me your opinion i would appreciate it my
> email is Thanks ricky

FYI, CVI = cup volume index. It's a parameter in the TCM firmware that
quantifies how much fluid it takes to throw an actuator (solenoid) in
the transmssion for complete clutch engagement. In the calibration
routine, the computer measures that volume and stores that for use in
its algorithms so that it can properly control the actuation for smooth
shifting. The TCM can periodically be re-calibrated to correct for
changes (fluid properties, minor leakages, etc.).

(I've pieced together my understanding of the above from things I've
read, so if it's not completely accurate, someone feel free to chime in.)

Looks like what they're saying is that either the solenoid module is bad
or the CVI's do not accurately characterize its operation, so the clutch
lock is not occuring like it's supposed to.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')

Old October 14th 04, 11:20 AM
Bill Putney