Opinions wanted Landcruiser vs. 4runner

Old June 13th 04, 03:42 AM
ben

I have to agree, if ya don't really need an SUV why buy one?

not because it hurts the environment (because there really is an
environmental cost that many people do not think about), but I say
don't but one because of a dollars and sense arguement (an SUV costs
more to operate, insure and buy).

what's the use of getting a big old vehicle if you are just using it
to go drive around town, ya can do the same thing in a regular car....

having said that, given the choice between a 4runner, a land cruiser
and a range rover of about 1990 or there abouts I'd eliminate the
range rover because they are more expensive to work on (at least where
I live and I guess that applies nation wide), the sheet metal on range
rovers is much thicker than the toyotas of the same era (which makes
it better if ya want to pound out dents), but from what I have seen
british cars have a few reliability issues as compaired to the jap
cars.

The only british car I'd consider is the defender, real basic and
tough, but ride is harsh (but it does come with a manual trans which I
like myself).

I have an 80 series land cruiser, isn't perfect but it has a very good
trans (even if it is auto), and it can haul lots of stuff which is why
I picked it over the 4 runner of the same year (and the other reason
is the land criuiser has a solid axle or did the new 100 series made
after 1997 is made for the rich soccer mom/dad demographic), and since
the land cruiser is actually used off road in other parts of the world
ya can get parts to make a really comfortable off road rig.... but it
take $$$$$

the pre 92 land cruisers were underpowered, had an inline 6 of 4
liters, in 1993 LC had a new 4.5 liter engine (which does make a
difference), the nice thing about the LC is ya can find clean ones on
the used market because when they were new they were bought by older
people with $$$$$ who typically don't drive off road or abuse their
vehicles.

the 4 runner at least the early model 1st generation was really nice
because it came with a stick shift, and had a removeable hard top
shell (kind of heavy - had a friend who had one), and it was one tough
son of a gun, but since they are older chances are ya won't find one
that has not been beaten into the ground, that is because they were
sold to younger people (most likely) who drove cars harder.....

Old June 15th 04, 01:06 PM
clintpatty

I'm with you on this. Buy a late 80s or early 90s Subaru wagon for ice
and light towing.

Old June 15th 04, 01:06 PM
clintpatty

Old June 17th 04, 03:08 AM
clangq

clintpatty > wrote in message >. ..
> I'm with you on this. Buy a late 80s or early 90s Subaru wagon for ice
> and light towing.

OK, let's follow the environmental argument. How much less does a
Subaru wagon affect the environment than a 4runner? Can't be much.
Besides, after 12 years of driving high-mpg cars on a long commute I
finally moved closer to work and I'd like to drive something that does
more than get from A to B. Not only that but if you compare Subaru vs
Toyota on reliability I think you go with the Toy.

Second, I really don't see myself pulling a trailer load of junk to
the dump behind a Subaru wagon.
Old June 17th 04, 03:08 AM
clangq

Old June 23rd 04, 04:40 PM
Steve Mestdagh

"Exit" > wrote in message >...
> "Steve Mestdagh" > wrote in message
> om...
> I drive my Focus for everything else. I wish they
> > offered the car selection in the US, that they do in Europe. Instead
> > of my Focus, I'd have a cool little hot rod, high torque diesel w/
> > GREAT gas mileage.
> > -s

> Or maybe you could even do that and keep a Focus!
>
> http://www.ford.co.uk/ie/focus/foc_e...isport/-/-/-/-

too bad it's not offered in the US.
-s