R12 Topping Off

Old June 2nd 04, 02:54 PM
do_not_spam_me

"Spiderman" > wrote in message >...

> I have a 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer that blows out warm A/C. It's
> low on R12 so the compressor just cycles on/off. I'm gonna top
> it off with R12. Is a gauge necessary or can I just play it
> "by air".

Try the forums at www.aircondition.com, a place dedicated to car A/C.

People who know better than me are going to hate what I'm about to
say, but if nothing else is wrong with the A/C you can get the R-12
charge about right if you monitor the inlet and outlet pipe
temperatures of the evaporator while the engine runs at fast idle
(must be fast, and run the engine at least 10 minutes before charging)
and you slowly (emphasis on "slowly") put in R-12 until the outlet is
almost as cold as the inlet. Ideally they should be equal, but it's
safer to undercharge than overcharge.

> Where can I find the normal low-side, high-side pressure ranges?

Any car repair manual that covers GM vehicles since they went to
orfice tubes?
Old June 2nd 04, 04:53 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Spiderman wrote:

> I have a 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer that blows out warm A/C. It's low on R12

....because it's got the GM R4 compressor that loses shaft seals on a
regular basis.

R12 is available, but expensive, and top-up charges will not last. You
will very quickly spend a lot more in R12 (to say nothing of tools and
manuals to put it in properly) than to fix the problem correctly.

-Stern
Old June 2nd 04, 04:53 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Old June 2nd 04, 04:58 PM
Rex B

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 01:21:18 -0400, "Refinish King"
> wrote:

||Get caught by a local EPA agent:

It would be a lot harder to find an EPA field enforcement agent, much less one
that is interested in a DIY guy buying 3 cans of "contraband" from an
individual. It's not even on their radar screen. I have never heard of any
prosecution from this law, ever.
Texas Parts Guy
Old June 2nd 04, 04:58 PM
Rex B

Old June 2nd 04, 06:47 PM
Mike Walsh

Back when 12 or 14 ounce cans of R12 were less than $2 each and nobody worried about the ozone layer I would add refrigerant until it started blowing cool air and then add one more can.

--

When replying by Email include NewSGrouP (case sensitive) in Subject

Mike Walsh
West Palm Beach, Florida, U.S.A.
Old June 2nd 04, 06:47 PM
Mike Walsh

Old June 3rd 04, 03:08 AM
Refinish King

Come to the Island:

Northumberland County Pennsylvania. Where they will prosecute you for
wearing pants "Gangsta" style. (Not that I think that's a bad reason to
prosecute for!)

But out here, They'll prosecute you for farting! Air pollution! Unless
you're on the correct political parties registration list!

Refinish King

Old June 3rd 04, 03:08 AM
Refinish King

Old June 3rd 04, 03:13 AM
newsgroup

I thought I have heard recently that you can buy R12 almost anywhere is US?

"Spiderman" > wrote in message
> R-12 is easy to get.
>

> "Robert Hancock" > wrote in message
> > Yes, you're going to need gauges to do it properly. And unless you're a
> > certified A/C tech, most likely you're not going to be able to get hold

of

http://www.roberthancock.com/