Older Mini-SUV owners opinions wanted

Old January 14th 04, 05:31 AM
Peter Crowl

Default Older Mini-SUV owners opinions wanted

Don't really know where else to post this...
I'm looking at getting either a RAV-4, Forester, CRV or Grand
Vitara...probably in the 98 to '02 year range. This will mainly be my
wife's car...not expecting much off-road use.

All the threads I've found are from people looking at new models in
their new model years. I'd like to hear from people who have owned
them for some time and have racked up some miles.
What kind of life can be expected from a well maintained example of
these vehicles? Does a vehicle with 80,000 miles on it have a
reasonable life left - say another 40 or 50K - or is it near the end?
How is the body integrity after 3 or 4 years? Interior wear?

I guess the question is.. do those in this class hold up?

Thanks for any input

Peter
Old January 14th 04, 06:50 AM
Peter

> Don't really know where else to post this...
> I'm looking at getting either a RAV-4, Forester, CRV or Grand
> Vitara...probably in the 98 to '02 year range. This will mainly be my
> wife's car...not expecting much off-road use.

I used to have 2.0L 98 Forester (European version), sold it at 130kkm. The
vehicle was holding up pretty well except for rear struts & springs - I had
to replace struts right after warranty expired, then springs sagged and I
had to replace all 4 with Scorpion lift kit ones. Other than that it was
really good car, can't say anything bad about it. When I sold it engine was
starting to consume oil just a little bit (0.5L every oil change or so), but
was still running strong.

Peter

Old January 14th 04, 06:50 AM
Peter

Old January 27th 04, 07:55 AM
Me

"Peter Crowl" > wrote in message
om...
> Don't really know where else to post this...
> I'm looking at getting either a RAV-4, Forester, CRV or Grand
> Vitara...probably in the 98 to '02 year range. This will mainly be my
> wife's car...not expecting much off-road use.
>
> All the threads I've found are from people looking at new models in
> their new model years. I'd like to hear from people who have owned
> them for some time and have racked up some miles.
> What kind of life can be expected from a well maintained example of
> these vehicles? Does a vehicle with 80,000 miles on it have a
> reasonable life left - say another 40 or 50K - or is it near the end?
> How is the body integrity after 3 or 4 years? Interior wear?
>
> I guess the question is.. do those in this class hold up?
>
> Thanks for any input

I have a 2000 Grand Vitara with about 70k miles. It sucks. It leaks oil
and has leaked on and off since we got it. They worked on it when it was
under warranty and fixed the problem then, but it came back. Interior wear
is OK, but it has a lot of rattles and squeaks. The 4wd light doesn't come
on anymore and I'm not sure if the 4wd is actually working. I don't use it
because I have a Jeep now so I don't care, but it's another problem. We've
had brake problems with it burning (or leaking?) brake fluid and then
burning up brake components. The plastic molding on the outside has all
began peeling up. I wonder how much longer the engine will run because it
sounds weak and sometimes is hard to start. I would not recommend this
vehicle at all.

Old January 27th 04, 07:55 AM
Me

Old January 31st 04, 05:46 PM
Steve

I have a '96 Tracker,which is a rebadged Sidekick/Vitara,with 127000
miles on it and it's been a great vehicle.I live on the east coast and
I've been on several long trips with it,the most recent to Mexico,and it
has performed very well.Personally I think it is a fine vehicle and
would recommend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive reliable
4x4.Just my 2=A2.