lift kits for vw pickups?

Old May 16th 05, 11:34 PM

Default lift kits for vw pickups?

hi all,

i know this may be a shot in the dark here, but i'm interested in
taking my 1982 vw diesel pickup (also known as the caddy) off roading.
does anyone have any info on how to do a suspension lift and make this
an all terrain truck instead of just a city truck?

thanks,
epona

Old May 17th 05, 10:19 PM
TheHairyBeast

yup.

Part Number: 87ZX5964Y At JCWhitney's web site will bring you to a set of
"helper springs for the Rear of The VW truck that you can use to get upto 2
1/2 inches of extra lift, and about 1500 pounds of cargo capacity to boot!

As for the front There was a company that made a 2 inch spacer that you
installed between the top of the strutmount, and the body made of aluminum,
but they are long gone. I use 2 sets of rubber spacers made for universal
applications that you fit between the strut springs It gives me about 2
inches up front. I also use 14inch rims. The standard shocks work fine.

Good luck!

And check out my rabbit site at :

www.therustyrabbit.com

ps.com...

Old May 18th 05, 12:17 AM

thanks!

this seems like what i am looking for......

i also read somewhere that the stock frame welds should be reinforced
as they are just tacks and may crack...

14 inch rims, huh? what kind of tires are you using on there?

cheers,
~epona

Old May 18th 05, 05:56 PM
wkearney99

> i know this may be a shot in the dark here, but i'm interested in
> taking my 1982 vw diesel pickup (also known as the caddy) off roading.
> does anyone have any info on how to do a suspension lift and make this
> an all terrain truck instead of just a city truck?

Advice? Yeah, don't take it offroad. The steering suspension alone is
reason enough not to do it. One good set of ruts at the wrong speed and
you're toast. That and you don't necessarily have the best mount points for
the inevitable tow hooks that'll be necessary to extract it.

Then there's the lack of horspower to properly spin meaty enough tires to
actually go offroad.

Better off picking up a ratty-ass Jeep CJ or an on-frame pickup truck that's
already got 4x4 if you're that intent on it. Even mild 'horsing around'
with caddy would probably ruin it.

Old May 18th 05, 07:17 PM

bummer, man.

i don't have enough cash to get a whole new truck - just bought this
one in deccember, before i joined the department of public works of
black rock city (burning man) and realized i'd be bombing around in the
nevada desert every other weekend this summer.

the truck can handle the flat playa no problem, but the dirt roads
around it are a bit rutty and bumpy.

sigh.
~epona

Old May 19th 05, 01:10 AM
wkearney99

Yeah, it's the ruts that'll kill it. The strut suspension really isn't cut
out for off-road use. Yes, you could use it but if you're in areas that
need a lift kit you're well beyond what the suspension would handle. Tough
break.

oups.com...

Old May 19th 05, 04:44 PM
Peter Parker

In article >,
TheHairyBeast <Emort007ATdway.com> wrote:
>yup.
>
>Part Number: 87ZX5964Y At JCWhitney's web site will bring you to a set of
>"helper springs for the Rear of The VW truck that you can use to get upto 2
>1/2 inches of extra lift, and about 1500 pounds of cargo capacity to boot!
>
> As for the front There was a company that made a 2 inch spacer that you
>installed between the top of the strutmount, and the body made of aluminum,
>but they are long gone. I use 2 sets of rubber spacers made for universal
>applications that you fit between the strut springs It gives me about 2
>inches up front. I also use 14inch rims. The standard shocks work fine.
>

> Good luck!
>
> And check out my rabbit site at :
>
> www.therustyrabbit.com

Nice website. Go for the 1.8L and 5speed for your 79 ol Lady. :-)

The only thing good about ol lady vehicles are that they don't drive
around much. However all the ol lady vehicles I saw died or were in
poor mechanical shape because ol ladys hate to spend money on maintainance.

:-)

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

4x2 pickup truck lift kits [email protected] 4x4 3 May 11th 05 12:28 PM
4x2 pickup truck lift kits [email protected] Technology 2 May 11th 05 12:28 PM
Skyjacker lift kits? Carl Saiyed Jeep 10 January 27th 05 10:39 PM
lift kits? Terry Connors 4x4 12 March 15th 04 05:55 PM