The D4 light

Old March 6th 07, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Joe LaVigne

Default The D4 light

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:24:22 -0800, wrote:

> On Mar 5, 8:46 pm, Joe LaVigne > wrote:
>>
>> NONONONO Noooooo. Do NOT have it flushed. Have it drained and filled, 3
>> times, with about a week between each time.

> Interesting. The gospel I've always been handed is that a drain and
> refill is the wrong thing to do. The explanation was that changing
> the fluid would renewing the detergents, which slowly dislodges the
> crud that is built up in the transmission, which then clogs the filter
> and starves the pickup. (Which is the point of "transmission fix"
> products, to bring back the viscosity of the fluid without adding new
> detergent.) The flush, if done properly through the pickup instead of
> the cooler lines and using fresh tranny fluid and not solvent, would
> get rid of all the old fluid AND crud, to essentially reset the fluid
> to a known state.
>
> Maybe the hole in this, and why everyone is recommending repeated
> short term fluid changes, is that the crud gets dislodged too slowly
> for the flush to actually clean anything out, so it's really no
> different than a one-time fluid change, which is a big mistake on a
> neglected tranny.
>
> It would be interesting to see what the factory repair manual
> recommends, or maybe the 3-time change actually is what they
> recommend, anyone know?

That's exactly what is recommended by Honda.

Also note that your Tranny does not have a serviceable filter. Just drain
and refill 3 times, and you will be fine.
Old March 6th 07, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Mar 5, 8:46 pm, Joe LaVigne > wrote:
>>
>> NONONONO Noooooo. Do NOT have it flushed. Have it drained and
>> filled, 3 times, with about a week between each time.

> Interesting. The gospel I've always been handed is that a drain and
> refill is the wrong thing to do. The explanation was that changing
> the fluid would renewing the detergents, which slowly dislodges the
> crud that is built up in the transmission, which then clogs the filter
> and starves the pickup.

Your transmission is likely already on its last legs and will fail soon.
You have little to lose by trying this.

> It would be interesting to see what the factory repair manual
> recommends, or maybe the 3-time change actually is what they
> recommend, anyone know?

The drain-and-fill-three-times IS the factory recommendation. You are
supposed to drive the car briefly between each drain and fill.

The multiple fill/drive/drain sequence compensates for the fact that the
torque converter has no drain.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old March 6th 07, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Mar 6, 6:41 am, Tegger > wrote:

> Your transmission is likely already on its last legs and will fail soon.
> You have little to lose by trying this.

Well, if the drain plug is not full of metal I think it should be
okay.

A "new" used transmission isn't that much anyway, freight costs more
than the tranny. Is it possible to drop the tranny out the bottom as
a shortcut?

> The drain-and-fill-three-times IS the factory recommendation. You are
> supposed to drive the car briefly between each drain and fill.

What is "briefly"? Mileage? Stay off the highway?

Old March 6th 07, 05:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> On Mar 6, 6:41 am, Tegger > wrote:
>>
>> Your transmission is likely already on its last legs and will fail soon.
>> You have little to lose by trying this.

> Well, if the drain plug is not full of metal I think it should be
> okay.

Clutch lining material does not stick to magnets.

> A "new" used transmission isn't that much anyway, freight costs more
> than the tranny. Is it possible to drop the tranny out the bottom as
> a shortcut?

That's the accepted way of removing a transmission. No need to pull the
engine too.

>> The drain-and-fill-three-times IS the factory recommendation. You are
>> supposed to drive the car briefly between each drain and fill.

> What is "briefly"? Mileage? Stay off the highway?

Long enough for the fluid in the torque converter to mix with the new fuid
in the pan. Once around the parking lot should do it.

Old March 6th 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Mar 6, 11:00 am, Tegger > wrote:

> > Well, if the drain plug is not full of metal I think it should be
> > okay.

> Clutch lining material does not stick to magnets.

True, but then I should see it floating around IN the fluid, either
way the evidence should be visible.

> > What is "briefly"? Mileage? Stay off the highway?

> Long enough for the fluid in the torque converter to mix with the new fuid
> in the pan. Once around the parking lot should do it.

So then I can get the whole thing done in an afternoon. Now to find a
nice deserted parking lot since my landlord doesn't allow car
repairs...

Old March 6th 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Mar 6, 11:00 am, Tegger > wrote:
>>
>> > Well, if the drain plug is not full of metal I think it should be
>> > okay.

>> Clutch lining material does not stick to magnets.

> True, but then I should see it floating around IN the fluid, either
> way the evidence should be visible.

It sort of is. That's what makes the fluid black. Should you start finding
chunks or fragments in the fluid, the tranny's *really* pooched.

>> > What is "briefly"? Mileage? Stay off the highway?

>> Long enough for the fluid in the torque converter to mix with the new
>> fuid in the pan. Once around the parking lot should do it.

> So then I can get the whole thing done in an afternoon. Now to find a
> nice deserted parking lot since my landlord doesn't allow car
> repairs...

I had the same problem when I lived in an apartment. I understand the
landlord's reasoning, but it still makes things more difficult.

And you do know how to check the fluid level in a Honda AT, do you? It's
not the same as most cars.

Old March 7th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Mar 6, 1:43 pm, Tegger > wrote:

> It sort of is. That's what makes the fluid black. Should you start finding
> chunks or fragments in the fluid, the tranny's *really* pooched.

Well, the fluid isn't black, it was still clear on the dipstick, just
more brown than red. Of course it's hard to tell what's going on just
from the dipstick.

> And you do know how to check the fluid level in a Honda AT, do you? It's
> not the same as most cars.

I checked it with the motor running after a short drive like my other
cars, but from your comment I'm guessing that's the wrong thing to
do. I made sure that the rubber seat of the dipstick "popped" back in
so the level would not be wrong. I didn't care so much about the exact
level as the condition of the fluid at the time, since it had not been
driven for quite a while and previous owner probably neglected it.

Old March 7th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
ups.com:

> On Mar 6, 1:43 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>>
>> It sort of is. That's what makes the fluid black. Should you start
>> finding chunks or fragments in the fluid, the tranny's *really*
>> pooched.

> Well, the fluid isn't black, it was still clear on the dipstick, just
> more brown than red. Of course it's hard to tell what's going on just
> from the dipstick.

As I said before, a fluid change may not help your issue here, but it
certainly won't hurt. This is a cheap first-effort before looking for more
difficult stuff.

I'm suspecting you have deeper problems inside the transmission, either
sticking solenoids, or a sludged valve body.

>> And you do know how to check the fluid level in a Honda AT, do you?
>> It's not the same as most cars.

> I checked it with the motor running after a short drive like my other
> cars, but from your comment I'm guessing that's the wrong thing to
> do. I made sure that the rubber seat of the dipstick "popped" back in
> so the level would not be wrong. I didn't care so much about the exact
> level as the condition of the fluid at the time, since it had not been
> driven for quite a while and previous owner probably neglected it.

You SHUT THE ENGINE OFF, then check the level within one minute of shutting
the engine off.

Honda is different. What can I say?

Old March 8th 07, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
[email protected]

On Mar 7, 2:36 pm, Tegger > wrote:

> I'm suspecting you have deeper problems inside the transmission, either
> sticking solenoids, or a sludged valve body.

Here is something I didn't mention before (because I wasn't really
trying to "solve" the transmission problem, just wondering about the
dash LED). If I stomp on the pedal to where a load based downshift
would be imminent, but then manually shift down into third while
keeping the throttle open, it doesn't flare up. Isn't that strange?

> > I checked it with the motor running after a short drive like my other
> > cars, but from your comment I'm guessing that's the wrong thing to
> > do. I made sure that the rubber seat of the dipstick "popped" back in
> > so the level would not be wrong. I didn't care so much about the exact
> > level as the condition of the fluid at the time, since it had not been
> > driven for quite a while and previous owner probably neglected it.

> You SHUT THE ENGINE OFF, then check the level within one minute of shutting
> the engine off.
>
> Honda is different. What can I say?

Well that's good to know. They should print things like that on the
underhood label instead of burying it in the owner's manual, IMO.

Old March 9th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

" > wrote in
oups.com:

> On Mar 7, 2:36 pm, Tegger > wrote:
>>
>> I'm suspecting you have deeper problems inside the transmission,
>> either sticking solenoids, or a sludged valve body.

> Here is something I didn't mention before (because I wasn't really
> trying to "solve" the transmission problem, just wondering about the
> dash LED). If I stomp on the pedal to where a load based downshift
> would be imminent, but then manually shift down into third while
> keeping the throttle open, it doesn't flare up. Isn't that strange?

Nope. It narrows things down. You almost certainly have a bad shift
solenoid. A problem like this is supposed to make your "S" light blink, but
I guess that doesn't always happen.

jim beam rigged something up recently that allowed him to observe the
solenoids in operation.

>> > I checked it with the motor running after a short drive like my
>> > other cars, but from your comment I'm guessing that's the wrong
>> > thing to do. I made sure that the rubber seat of the dipstick
>> > "popped" back in so the level would not be wrong. I didn't care so
>> > much about the exact level as the condition of the fluid at the
>> > time, since it had not been driven for quite a while and previous
>> > owner probably neglected it.

>> You SHUT THE ENGINE OFF, then check the level within one minute of
>> shutting the engine off.
>>
>> Honda is different. What can I say?

> Well that's good to know. They should print things like that on the
> underhood label instead of burying it in the owner's manual, IMO.

Especially when the other 99% of cars on the road are different from that.