In 3 days - 2 cracked windshields

Old July 30th 06, 02:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brian S. Paskin

Default In 3 days - 2 cracked windshields

Hi, On Wednesday of last week my windshield was fine. I drove the car
to work. At lunch time I found a crack from near the base of the
drivers side all the way to the middle of the windshield. I figured I
missed of hit something on the drive in and since it was hot the crack
just got worse.

On Thursday, I had the glass replaced in the morning. Today, Saturday,
it was fine in the morning, but when I went out in the evening I saw
that I had a crack from the passenger's side going up.

Is this just bad luck, or does anyone think that there might be a
problem with the frame or something else?

Thanks,
Brian

Old July 30th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
mc

"Brian S. Paskin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, On Wednesday of last week my windshield was fine. I drove the car
> to work. At lunch time I found a crack from near the base of the
> drivers side all the way to the middle of the windshield. I figured I
> missed of hit something on the drive in and since it was hot the crack
> just got worse.
>
> On Thursday, I had the glass replaced in the morning. Today, Saturday,
> it was fine in the morning, but when I went out in the evening I saw
> that I had a crack from the passenger's side going up.
>
> Is this just bad luck, or does anyone think that there might be a
> problem with the frame or something else?

Snipers in the area?

Old July 30th 06, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Kevin

"Brian S. Paskin" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hi, On Wednesday of last week my windshield was fine. I drove the car
> to work. At lunch time I found a crack from near the base of the
> drivers side all the way to the middle of the windshield. I figured I
> missed of hit something on the drive in and since it was hot the crack
> just got worse.
>
> On Thursday, I had the glass replaced in the morning. Today, Saturday,
> it was fine in the morning, but when I went out in the evening I saw
> that I had a crack from the passenger's side going up.
>
> Is this just bad luck, or does anyone think that there might be a
> problem with the frame or something else?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Bad luck either way. No really, just bad luck unless you recently wrecked
your car. . I had 3 cracked in one month. I had glass coverage on my
insurance policy so I had them replaced. The insurance company cancelled my
policy the next month because of it.

--
Disclaimer:
Due to the nature of solving problems over the internet being mostly

--
Kevin Mouton
Automotive Technology Instructor

Old July 30th 06, 11:31 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Brian S. Paskin wrote:
> On Wednesday of last week my windshield was fine. I drove the car
> to work. At lunch time I found a crack from near the base of the
> drivers side all the way to the middle of the windshield.

> On Thursday, I had the glass replaced in the morning. Today, Saturday,
> it was fine in the morning, but when I went out in the evening I saw
> that I had a crack from the passenger's side going up.

If the car was bought used, it's possible it's a wreck that was spliced
into another car. Another possibility is direct contact between metal
and glass due to a burr poking up from the window opening or the glass
not being centered in the opening. Some shops do sloppy work,
especially those that advertise reimbursement of the insurance
deductible or free dinners.

Old July 30th 06, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Denton

I am wondering how these record temps are stressing car windows..especially
windshields.
I have been informed that some motorhome windshields will crack under the
stress of really high outside temps vs air conditioned interiors.
Since both of my vehicles are not garaged, in the summer I typically install
the biggest folding windshield sunscreens I can find on the outside of the
windshield rather than the inside.