Explorer Tires

Old July 18th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MS Jordan

Default Explorer Tires

My 98 is in need of new tires, the last two sets I put on were Michilin
XLT's.

Just not wanting to be blind is there a online source that rates the
different brands or is there a concensus on a brand and type.

My only complaint witht he XLT's is road noise and would like to find
something a bit less noisy.

BTW road driving only, very limited off road, only to drive up a gravel
road from time to time

Thanks
Old July 18th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Craig

"MS Jordan" > wrote...

> My 98 is in need of new tires, the last two sets I put on were Michilin
> XLT's.
>
> Just not wanting to be blind is there a online source that rates the
> different brands or is there a concensus on a brand and type.
>
> My only complaint witht he XLT's is road noise and would like to find
> something a bit less noisy.
>
> BTW road driving only, very limited off road, only to drive up a gravel
> road from time to time
>
> Thanks

I'm on my 2nd set of Michelin LTX M/S tires and from what I read here,
they're the most popular. Discount Tire should have them for $120 (plus
balancing, road hazard, etc. fees). Figure $600-700 out the door with the
hazard guarantee.

Craig

Old July 18th 06, 11:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Andy Barkl[_1_]

"MS Jordan" > wrote in message
54...
> My 98 is in need of new tires, the last two sets I put on were Michilin
> XLT's.
>
> Just not wanting to be blind is there a online source that rates the
> different brands or is there a concensus on a brand and type.
>
> My only complaint witht he XLT's is road noise and would like to find
> something a bit less noisy.
>
> BTW road driving only, very limited off road, only to drive up a gravel
> road from time to time
>
> Thanks

Try the Michelin Cross Terrains. You should also compare the two as they
swap places within the top 5 at www.tirerack.com.

Old July 19th 06, 05:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
Ashton Crusher

On 18 Jul 2006 16:41:05 GMT, MS Jordan > wrote:

> My 98 is in need of new tires, the last two sets I put on were Michilin
>XLT's.
>
>Just not wanting to be blind is there a online source that rates the
>different brands or is there a concensus on a brand and type.
>
>My only complaint witht he XLT's is road noise and would like to find
>something a bit less noisy.
>
>BTW road driving only, very limited off road, only to drive up a gravel
>road from time to time
>
>Thanks

You can get a lot of info from www.tirerack.com on many different
brands of tires. They have ratings from customers on many different
items such as dry handling, wet handling, noise, comfort, etc, etc.
For a tire as popular as the Michelins there will be a very large
number of people contributing their ratings so they are probably
reasonable representative of reality.
Old July 19th 06, 06:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer
MS Jordan

tirerack was exactly what I was looking for,

Thanks everybody for the help and direction

: