Jetta / Bora Woes

Old December 6th 04, 11:15 AM

Default Jetta / Bora Woes

Seem to be having a bit of a problem with my car, and maybe its nothing
but who am i to say, maybe you guys can be of assistance.

My car (VW Bora / Jetta) has started whistling when in reverse
any ideas what that could be?

Also there is a metal on metal noise from the undercarriage when
driving at lowrevs ie. upto 2500rpm from 1->3rd gear. The closes sound
i can get to it is basically banging to wrenches together.
Any Ideas?

regards,

Old December 6th 04, 03:42 PM
Peter Parker

In article .com>,
> wrote:
>Seem to be having a bit of a problem with my car, and maybe its nothing
>but who am i to say, maybe you guys can be of assistance.
>
>My car (VW Bora / Jetta) has started whistling when in reverse
>any ideas what that could be?
>
>Also there is a metal on metal noise from the undercarriage when
>driving at lowrevs ie. upto 2500rpm from 1->3rd gear. The closes sound
>i can get to it is basically banging to wrenches together.
>Any Ideas?
>
>regards,

Yep, these are the kind of clue-less descriptions that I wait for to
give me a real challenge to use my ESP abilities.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old December 6th 04, 03:42 PM
Peter Parker

In article .com>,

Old December 6th 04, 05:28 PM
csharpgeek

Peter Parker wrote:
> In article .com>,
> > wrote:
> >Seem to be having a bit of a problem with my car, and maybe its

nothing
> >but who am i to say, maybe you guys can be of assistance.
> >
> >My car (VW Bora / Jetta) has started whistling when in reverse
> >any ideas what that could be?
> >
> >Also there is a metal on metal noise from the undercarriage when
> >driving at lowrevs ie. upto 2500rpm from 1->3rd gear. The closes

sound
> >i can get to it is basically banging to wrenches together.
> >Any Ideas?
> >
> >regards,
> >

> Yep, these are the kind of clue-less descriptions that I wait for to
> give me a real challenge to use my ESP abilities.
>

> --
> Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

Great help groups have become, what happened to the enthusiasts on here
that would actually help the clue-less folkes ...
If i'd been born a mechanic wouldn't have posted really

Thanks anyways

Old December 6th 04, 05:28 PM
csharpgeek

Old December 6th 04, 06:23 PM
Peter Parker

In article .com>,
csharpgeek > wrote:

>Peter Parker wrote:
>> In article .com>,
>> > wrote:
>> >Seem to be having a bit of a problem with my car, and maybe its

>nothing
>> >but who am i to say, maybe you guys can be of assistance.
>> >
>> >My car (VW Bora / Jetta) has started whistling when in reverse
>> >any ideas what that could be?
>> >
>> >Also there is a metal on metal noise from the undercarriage when
>> >driving at lowrevs ie. upto 2500rpm from 1->3rd gear. The closes

>sound
>> >i can get to it is basically banging to wrenches together.
>> >Any Ideas?
>> >
>> >regards,
>> >

>> Yep, these are the kind of clue-less descriptions that I wait for to
>> give me a real challenge to use my ESP abilities.
>>

>> --
>> Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...

>Great help groups have become, what happened to the enthusiasts on here
>that would actually help the clue-less folkes ...
>If i'd been born a mechanic wouldn't have posted really
>
>Thanks anyways

Oh alright, me vw matey. It's very hard to figure anything out unless you
can at least give what year, model, engine, transmission and preferably
last maintainance notes. Whistling in reverse doesn't normally mean something
awfully bad. It can mean high tranny usage or low fluid. When was the last time
you had your MTL (assuming you have a manual transmission) changed or checked?
Lowrev grinding could mean that your transmission is self-machining which is
bad. However the banging which you speak of might be a bad motor or tranny
mount which is making your exhaust hit the heat shield or something else.
It could also be your upper strut round nut is loose and that can seem like
it is popping or banging from the front corner esp around a turn.

It really comes down to either something simple and easy to fix or it could
be bad like a self-machining tranny which sounds like marbles and grinding
when you are moving in every gear. Not something like wheel-bearing noise
which sings.

If I were you, I would find a few quotes from 3 shops and let them test
drive and give you an estimate.

BTW, I'm not a born mechanic. I don't think there is such a thing. Actually
I am pretty slow when it comes to repairing because I do it at home and I
like to take my time. Techs at shops and dealerships are constantly under the
gun of time limits. They have it tough but after doing it a few times they
get really good at it.

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...
Old December 6th 04, 06:23 PM
Peter Parker

Old December 7th 04, 09:19 AM
csharpgeek

Now that was a better reply,
My faith in groups has been restored. )

The car is due for a service soon so hopefully i wont have to sell a
limb to repair it.

Thanks in this regard,

Feeling better about driving me car around oh will take advice for
future ref.... oh btw
Manual VW BORA 1.6 SE 2001

Old December 7th 04, 02:40 PM
Peter Parker

In article .com>,
csharpgeek > wrote:
>Now that was a better reply,
>My faith in groups has been restored. )
>
>The car is due for a service soon so hopefully i wont have to sell a
>limb to repair it.
>
>Thanks in this regard,
>
>Feeling better about driving me car around oh will take advice for
>future ref.... oh btw
>Manual VW BORA 1.6 SE 2001

2001? I would say you have a loose something that is flexing when you
are shifting. Heat-shield clatter or some other exhaust clunking. It's
due for a check-up there.

cul...

--
Jeeps and dubs and everything's nice...