How Much Road Capacity is Wasted Due to Poor Driving?

Old July 6th 05, 10:20 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 4 Jul 2005 23:45:40 -0700, "Daniel W. Rouse Jr."
> > wrote:
>
> >"Scott en Aztlán" > wrote in message
> .. .

bus

waited

> >> How's the unconscious bus driver going to catch the uncle?
> >>

> >Most buses are equipped with two--sometimes three--video cameras and a
> >digital recording system.
> >
> >If this story you are telling is actually true--in the present day as
> >opposed to years in the past--the transit officials can just review the
> >recordings of that day's events and get a positive ID of who they are
> >looking for.

> Would they review the tapes and reprimand the driver for his asinine
> driving?

Unfortunately, I don't think there are cameras on the outside of the back of
the bus, so nothing would be recorded even if the bus driver was totally
unsafe.

It's best to get the bus number of the offending bus and--depending on the
attitude of the transit agency--either call or e-mail that transit agency to
report the incident: date, time, and bus number.

Old July 6th 05, 11:50 PM
Kenneth Crudup

In article >,
"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > says:

>The stupidity is on the part of the drivers, who conveniently forget that a
>marked crosswalk plus a green light in the direction of the crosswalk,
>regardless of the presence or absence of pedestrian signals, is a
>legal/right-of-way crossing for the pedestrians.

.... but in quite a few places back East, cars don't stop just 'cause
some ped traipsed out into the street, yet the peds don't get hit and
the traffic doesn't stall.

I hear when Californicators go back East, it's funny to see them nearly
get mowed down when they foolishly think other states have passed laws
that are blind to the laws of physics (and expect drivers to stop for
them just 'cause they're about to venture out into the street).

-Kenny

--
Kenneth R. Crudup Sr. SW Engineer, Scott County Consulting, Los Angeles
H: 3630 S. Sepulveda Blvd. #138, L.A., CA 90034-6809 (310) 391-1898
Old July 7th 05, 02:13 AM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Kenneth Crudup > wrote:
>In article >,
>"Daniel W. Rouse Jr." > says:
>
>>The stupidity is on the part of the drivers, who conveniently forget that a
>>marked crosswalk plus a green light in the direction of the crosswalk,
>>regardless of the presence or absence of pedestrian signals, is a
>>legal/right-of-way crossing for the pedestrians.

>... but in quite a few places back East, cars don't stop just 'cause
>some ped traipsed out into the street, yet the peds don't get hit and
>the traffic doesn't stall.
>
>I hear when Californicators go back East, it's funny to see them nearly
>get mowed down when they foolishly think other states have passed laws
>that are blind to the laws of physics (and expect drivers to stop for
>them just 'cause they're about to venture out into the street).

I was walking with a group of people in Columbus recently. We came
to an unsignalized crosswalk. I waited for a gap in traffic and
started to cross. Halfway across I noticed that the others were not
following me. My definition of a gap follows the law -- you can't
jump close in front of a vehicle but you can make distant vehicles
slow down. Their definition of a gap in traffic assumed vehicles
do not yield to pedestrians, i.e. it ignored the legal effect of
the crosswalk.

(This crosswalk, on High Street near the North Market, has an
illuminated overhead sign saying CROSS WALK. It is not a subtly
different shading of the road surface from a ten year old paint
job like a Boston-area crosswalk is likely to be.)
--
John Carr )
Old July 7th 05, 02:48 AM
Kenneth Crudup

In article >,
(John F. Carr) says:

>I was walking with a group of people in Columbus recently. We came
>to an unsignalized crosswalk. I waited for a gap in traffic and
>started to cross. Halfway across I noticed that the others were not
>following me. My definition of a gap follows the law -- you can't
>jump close in front of a vehicle but you can make distant vehicles
>slow down. Their definition of a gap in traffic assumed vehicles
>do not yield to pedestrians, i.e. it ignored the legal effect of
>the crosswalk.

Yabbut what *I* meant was how peds in the East do the "crossing
dance" with cars- go out into a clear traffic lane (the cars keep
moving around you), stand there, wait for cars to empty the lane(s)
you want to be in, stand in that one, lather rinse, repeat until
you're across the street. Did that for some 30 years and never got
hit (and this is with an imaginary pedestrian "point system" in
place that car drivers assign to various groups of pedestrians).

Now, I'm in California, and not only am I supposed to come to a
screeching halt just 'cause some damn ped points his toe off the
sidewalk, but when I'm a ped and cross the street (and I tend to
do it "East-Coast Style"; the damn crosswalks in many cases are
too far away) and I'm standing on a curb or median or something
I end up turning my back on traffic 'till it's cleared a bit so
some dude won't bung up the traffic flow to let one damn ped
cross the street.

-Kenny

Old July 7th 05, 04:42 AM
Bernard Farquart

"John F. Carr" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Bernard Farquart > wrote:
>>
>>"John F. Carr" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Your fault. The law does not require stopping for a pedestrian
>>> who happens to be near the road. It may have been illegal to stop.

>>If you are turning right, the pedestrian should have had a walk
>>signal, and the right of way.

> The original poster said the pedestrian was not in the crosswalk.

Look above, the quoted text is still there.

"About to step into the cross walk", the one with the walk signal.

Not stopping, and clipping someone *as* he steps out into the
crosswalk is still not good for your insurance rates.

Bernard

Old July 7th 05, 01:24 PM
John F. Carr

In article >,
Bernard Farquart > wrote:

>"John F. Carr" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> Bernard Farquart > wrote:

>>>If you are turning right, the pedestrian should have had a walk
>>>signal, and the right of way.

>> The original poster said the pedestrian was not in the crosswalk.
>>

>Look above, the quoted text is still there.
>

>"About to step into the cross walk", the one with the walk signal.

And if the red light is "about to turn green" can you go? No.
A pedestrian outside of a crosswalk -- i.e., on the sidewalk --
does not have right of way over traffic on the road and may not
enter the road when a vehicle is approaching. Uniform Vehicle
Code section 11-502(b) says "No pedestrian shall suddenly leave
a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of
a vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard."

In other words, ties go to the vehicle.

>Not stopping, and clipping someone *as* he steps out into the
>crosswalk is still not good for your insurance rates.

Massachusetts law does not allow personal injury claims to be
considered in setting car insurance rates.

--
John Carr )
Old July 8th 05, 06:28 AM
Bernard Farquart

"John F. Carr" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Bernard Farquart > wrote:
>>
>>"John F. Carr" > wrote in message

>>> The original poster said the pedestrian was not in the crosswalk.
>>>

>>Look above, the quoted text is still there.
>>

>>"About to step into the cross walk", the one with the walk signal.

> And if the red light is "about to turn green" can you go? No.
> A pedestrian outside of a crosswalk -- i.e., on the sidewalk --
> does not have right of way over traffic on the road and may not
> enter the road when a vehicle is approaching.

If he has the "walk" signal, he has right of way.That is the purpose
of the stinking signal.

Here is an excerpt for WA
(1) WALK or walking person symbol-Pedestrians facing such signal may
cross the roadway in the direction of the signal. Vehicle operators shall
stop for pedestrians who are lawfully moving within the intersection control
area on such signal as required by RCW 46.61.235(1).

So, you cross an intersection, and the pedestrian steps out as you turn.
Guess who gets the ticket if there is pedestrian-vehicle
contact?

Uniform Vehicle
> Code section 11-502(b) says "No pedestrian shall suddenly leave
> a curb or other place of safety and walk or run into the path of
> a vehicle which is so close as to constitute an immediate hazard."
>
> In other words, ties go to the vehicle.

Dip****, that does not say anything about a crosswalk, that
looks like it is talking about the middle of a block, or other
unmarked area of roadway. Exactly *not* like the situation
referenced above.

>>Not stopping, and clipping someone *as* he steps out into the
>>crosswalk is still not good for your insurance rates.

> Massachusetts law does not allow personal injury claims to be
> considered in setting car insurance rates.

HA, like anyone can *prove* what the rates are set by.

Bernard