Iacocca teams with Snoop Dogg

Old August 6th 05, 05:47 AM
MoPar Man

Default Iacocca teams with Snoop Dogg

Has he (Iacocca) no shame?

I guess I'll have to get my Ebonics-to-English translator going to
understand Snoopy.

-------------------

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/05/news...Iacocca_snoop/

Iacocca teams with Snoop Dogg
Chrysler, aiming for younger car buyers, teams retired chairman with
rapper in new ad.

August 5, 2005: 9:24 AM EDT

Ex-Chrysler chairman Lee Iacocca and rapper Snoop Dogg ride a modified
golf cart in a new Chrysler ad.

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Lee Iacocca's newest spot for Chrysler includes
rap star Snoop Dogg, as the auto maker tries to reach out to a younger
group of buyers.

Iacocca, who frequently appeared in Chrysler commercials during his
tenure as chairman from 1979 to 1992, returned to pitch the company's
cars in July, hyping its offer to sell vehicles at the
employee-discount price to the general public.

The latest spot, which numerous media reports say should start
Saturday, includes Iacocca and Snoop Dogg, whose hip-hop speaking
manner in the spot seems to confuse Iacocca.

"You know, I'm not too sure what you just said. Now everybody gets a
great deal," Iacocca says in the spot.

"Fo shizzle, I-ka-zizzle," Snoop Dog replies.

Iacocca is donating the money Chrysler is paying him to do these spots
to a foundation he set up to battle diabetes, the disease which killed
his wife. USA Today reports that Snoop Dogg told Iacocca during the
filming that he has a brother with diabetes, and said he admired what
Iacocca is doing.

"He's just a good kid," Iacocca told USA Today about his co-star. "I
didn't understand half the things he was telling me, but it was fun."

The spot ends with Snoop Dog giving his own version of Iacocca's
famous pitchline, "If you can find a better car, buy it."

"If the ride is more fly, then you must buy," Snoop Dog says.

Advertising Age last month found that more than 80 percent of people
who had seen the commercials featuring Iacocca in July found the
80-year-old retiree to be "believable" and "relevant." But the survey
also found that he was far less recognizable among young adults.
Chrysler believes that Snoop Dogg may help solve that shortcoming.

"It's a great way to continue to break through the clutter," Chrysler
spokeswoman Suraya DaSante told the New York Times. "Snoop is a
hip-hop icon, a lot of people know him and recognize him, so it's a
fun complement to Lee."

The Times reports that Snoop Dogg is a car buff and a fan of Chrysler
products who left a voice mail at Chrysler's West Coast office in 2004
demanding the new Chrysler 300 sedan. The 300C he later received is
black with tinted windows.

Iacocca's first round of commercials in July included one with Jason
Alexander, who appeared as George Costanza in the television show
"Seinfeld."
Old August 8th 05, 12:42 PM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"MoPar Man" > wrote in message
> Has he (Iacocca) no shame?
>
> I guess I'll have to get my Ebonics-to-English translator going to
> understand Snoopy.
>
> -------------------
>
> http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/05/news...Iacocca_snoop/
>
> Iacocca teams with Snoop Dogg
> Chrysler, aiming for younger car buyers, teams retired chairman with
> rapper in new ad.
>
> August 5, 2005: 9:24 AM EDT
>
> "It's a great way to continue to break through the clutter," Chrysler
> spokeswoman Suraya DaSante told the New York Times. "Snoop is a
> hip-hop icon, a lot of people know him and recognize him, so it's a
> fun complement to Lee."

Snoop has also had repeated trouble with arrests for drug use over
the years. He may make good music but he isn't particularly respectable.
Chrysler would have done a hell of a lot better to get Eminem who
by all accounts leads a far more respectable life than Snoop does,
and is as good or better a rapper on a musical level, and is certainly
as famous.

> The Times reports that Snoop Dogg is a car buff

I don't know why they are saying that, the only report on this that is out
there
previously is that in 2001 he did the movie "The Wash" about a car wash,
and in 2002 he had a Cadillac pimped (customized) for himself.

> and a fan of Chrysler
> products who left a voice mail at Chrysler's West Coast office in 2004
> demanding the new Chrysler 300 sedan. The 300C he later received is
> black with tinted windows.

They forgot to mention that he got that car for free in exchange for
promoting
it in his video "Groupie Luv" Yes, he did ask for it - but he did so right
when Chrysler was really desperate to promote it, thus having a great chance
to get it for free. If Snoops goal was to get a free car at that time, that
is
the exact model he would have asked for to maximize chances of getting one
for free. It should not be assumed that he is in particular a Chrysler
fancier
just because of that.

There is some evidence he tried the same trick to get the Caddy for free
back
in 2002, but Cadillac apparently didn't bite on that.

Ted

Old August 23rd 05, 09:32 AM
Spam Hater

In article >, MoPar Man >
wrote:

> Iacocca, who frequently appeared in Chrysler commercials during his
> tenure as chairman from 1979 to 1992, returned to pitch the company's
> cars in July, hyping its offer to sell vehicles at the
> employee-discount price to the general public.

He says: If you can buy a better car buy it".
I assume he doesn't just mean quality, but the design as well.

Yep Lee I can find a better car for me than your 300/Magnum to replace
my '95 Concord, but since the Concord runs so well I'll wait a while for
Chrysler to figure this one out.
This waiting has payed off so far in that I'm firming up what I want in
my next car. It certainly isn't a newer Concord.

On my shortest list at this time is Subaru, with an Outback. What's
holding me back is I'm not that fond with their engine un-reliability.
It's form factor suits my needs well, but I'd prefer one built on the
Sebring platform, with the Sebring 2.7L V6 engine. FWD OK, AWD not
necessary for my trips to the ski hills.
You're going to need a full sized spare capability though. Subaru even
includes one.
Contact me for more details.
Old August 24th 05, 01:29 AM
Matt Whiting

Spam Hater wrote:

> On my shortest list at this time is Subaru, with an Outback. What's
> holding me back is I'm not that fond with their engine un-reliability.
> It's form factor suits my needs well, but I'd prefer one built on the
> Sebring platform, with the Sebring 2.7L V6 engine. FWD OK, AWD not
> necessary for my trips to the ski hills.
> You're going to need a full sized spare capability though. Subaru even
> includes one.
> Contact me for more details.

What is unreliable about Subaru engines?

Matt
Old August 24th 05, 05:18 AM
Spam Hater

In article >,
Matt Whiting > wrote:

> What is unreliable about Subaru engines?

They need head gasket replacements far too soon.
They also high on fuel consumption.
Old August 24th 05, 11:32 AM
Matt Whiting

Spam Hater wrote:

> In article >,
> Matt Whiting > wrote:
>

>>What is unreliable about Subaru engines?

> They need head gasket replacements far too soon.
> They also high on fuel consumption.

I hadn't heard about the head gasket problems. Many kit plane builders
use Subaru engines because they are reputed to be very reliable among
the automotive alternatives available.

Fuel consumption isn't a reliability issue.

Matt
Old August 25th 05, 12:46 AM
Bill Putney

Matt Whiting wrote:
> Spam Hater wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Matt Whiting > wrote:
>>

>>> What is unreliable about Subaru engines?

>> They need head gasket replacements far too soon.
>> They also high on fuel consumption.

> I hadn't heard about the head gasket problems. Many kit plane builders
> use Subaru engines because they are reputed to be very reliable among
> the automotive alternatives available.
>
> Fuel consumption isn't a reliability issue.
>

> Matt

IIRC (it's been awhile since I've been in the Subaru world), it's the
EA82 engine (early 80's era) that is popular for the airplanes because
the cam is gear driven. None of this "modern" belt-driven-cam-crap when
your life is at stake.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old August 25th 05, 02:47 AM
Matt Whiting

Bill Putney wrote:

> Matt Whiting wrote:
>
>> Spam Hater wrote:

>>> They need head gasket replacements far too soon.
>>> They also high on fuel consumption.

>> I hadn't heard about the head gasket problems. Many kit plane
>> builders use Subaru engines because they are reputed to be very
>> reliable among the automotive alternatives available.
>>
>> Fuel consumption isn't a reliability issue.
>>

>> Matt

> IIRC (it's been awhile since I've been in the Subaru world), it's the
> EA82 engine (early 80's era) that is popular for the airplanes because
> the cam is gear driven. None of this "modern" belt-driven-cam-crap when
> your life is at stake.

Yes, that is correct! Although, ironically, many folks use belt driven
reduction drive units. They are lighter than the gear driven units,
don't reverse the direction of rotation and damp vibration much better.

Matt
Old August 25th 05, 04:56 AM
Joe

"Matt Whiting" > wrote in message
> Bill Putney wrote:
>
>> Matt Whiting wrote:

>>> I hadn't heard about the head gasket problems. Many kit plane builders
>>> use Subaru engines because they are reputed to be very reliable among
>>> the automotive alternatives available.
>>>
>>> Fuel consumption isn't a reliability issue.
>>>

>>> Matt

>> IIRC (it's been awhile since I've been in the Subaru world), it's the
>> EA82 engine (early 80's era) that is popular for the airplanes because
>> the cam is gear driven. None of this "modern" belt-driven-cam-crap when
>> your life is at stake.

> Yes, that is correct! Although, ironically, many folks use belt driven
> reduction drive units. They are lighter than the gear driven units, don't
> reverse the direction of rotation and damp vibration much better.
>

> Matt

I've never built an airplane, but don't you guys think the form factor is
the big sell for a Subaru-powered airplane? In other words, Subaru is just
the best of the flat engines. I'm just askin'.

Old August 25th 05, 06:33 AM
Spam Hater

In article >,
Matt Whiting > wrote:

> I hadn't heard about the head gasket problems. Many kit plane builders
> use Subaru engines because they are reputed to be very reliable among
> the automotive alternatives available.

A good step up from the VW engine.
Yes the head gasket problem is very big, fortunately the first fix is
usually under guarantee. I've read about the suspected problem, if true
it will return over and over. About 65Kkms is when my friend's Forester
had the first replacement.
It is a shame because they have some very nice vehicles that put
function ahead of styling- where I am.

> Fuel consumption isn't a reliability issue.

I agree but is is a buying factor.
For some reason their fuel consumption is high and it's ridiculous with
the turbo.
Toyota seems to have by far the lowest fuel consumption. The Avalon is
amazing for power and fuel economy.
Toyota's even take a full sized spare and they usually include it.
Another car company putting function ahead of styling, but I agree their
styling is a bit dull.