Camry::HeadLamp question

Old May 17th 05, 05:11 AM

Default Camry::HeadLamp question

I have a 99 Camry(V4). the support to the driver side headlamp is
broken. So I want buy a new one to replace the headlamp.

I have found a good deal on E-bay, which only costs me about $40 total.
(I have checked my local dealer, he was asking $150 for that part). But
I still have couple questions before I place the order.

1. Has anyone have experience buying auto-parts from E-bay. Are they
the Genuine parts, or the after-market ones ? Here is the link to that
deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...spagename=WD1V

2. When I was asking the local dealer for this part, one question he
asked me was if the car is made in Japan or US. And When I was
searching the WEB for a better deal, same question has been asked on
some website. But it is never asked on E-Bay.
So my question is is there any difference of driver side headlamp for a
1999 camry(v4) made in Japan or made in US ? I do not want to buy a
useless one.

thanks a lot for the help

cj

Old May 17th 05, 12:58 PM
mjt

) scribbled:

> 1. Has anyone have experience buying auto-parts from E-bay. Are they
> the Genuine parts, or the after-market ones ? Here is the link to that

.... check on the sellers reputation scoring - that will
tell you alot.

i recently had to replace both headlights (non-sealed unit)
because the internal chrome was rusting. i simply went to
the junkyard and paid 1/2 of what the dealer wants. i lucked
out too - they just brought this totalled truck in the night
before and headlights were new!!!!

--
<< http://michaeljtobler.homelinux.com () >>
Real computer scientists don't comment their code. The identifiers are
Old May 17th 05, 02:19 PM
Comboverfish

If your VIN starts with the characters "4T1BG" then it is a North
American (your parts sources are calling it US) Camry. In the unlikely
event the Vin starts with a "JT" then it is Japanese. It probably does
make a difference or they wouldn't be asking.

The part you are buying is most likely a Taiwanese new headlight
housing but it could be an original equipment used unit for $40. Don't
forget the shipping cost as that's how many ebayers really get their
money. I've had good luck with cheap Asian replacement parts when the
fit wasn't critical or the budget was tight. Others I've talked to
have had bad luck. Used parts are usually a good deal and you know
they will fit and their aged appearance will match the other side quite
well.

BTW, you have an inline 4 cylinder, not a "V4".

TOyota MDT in MO

Old May 17th 05, 04:02 PM
John S.

JS> Comments inserted.

1=2E Has anyone have experience buying auto-parts from E-bay. Are they
the Genuine parts, or the after-market ones ? Here is the link to that
deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors=AD/ws...d=3D=AD1&item=
=3D79...

JS> The seller says in several code words that the lamp isn't original
Toyota, but is aftermarket. The same thing you could get at Pep Boys
or the local auto parts house. So compare prices. Because of the need
to match parts to the car's country of origin I would strongly suggest
that you buy in person from a parts house or a Toyota dealer. Or get
one from a wrecked car at the boneyard.

An after market lens assembly may cast the light slightly differently
than an original Toyota one, so if matching headlamps is significant,
be aware.

2=2E When I was asking the local dealer for this part, one question he