Need help interperting OBD II information

Old November 21st 06, 05:19 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

Default Need help interperting OBD II information

aarcuda69062 wrote:
> In article
> .com>,
> "Comboverfish" > wrote:
>
> > aarcuda69062 wrote:
> >
> > > The OP should verify that there is no coolant leaking from the
> > > water pump onto the crankshaft position sensor(s).

> > Good point! That's a sign that you do this kind of work every day : )

> naaah... some days, I do front end rebuilds... ;-)
>
> > Toyota MDT in MO
> >
> > P.S. I have no doubt his OBDII AE software is reporting the P0336
> > correctly given the circumstances. I think the problem is more
> > prominent with the enhanced software screwing up FR and other GM
> > specific historical code data. I'm really leaning towards getting AE
> > based on the price. It's a hell of a hobby scanner if nothing else.

> I'm pretty happy with it.
>
> Very strong on Ford, very strong on GM, as strong as I've seen on
> Toyota, a little weak on Chrysler but they (Jay) say it's in the
> works.

So, did you throw off the "golden handcuffs" of the Snap On VCI yet?
(""=your words)

I'm debating on a trade in Solus deal, but not until they impliment
better Toyota functionality. I mean like having sensor data for a
certain year range but not having it for the same powertrain system in
a different year range; lacking simple data, not being able to
customize a data list during active testing, etc. My MTG2500 graphing
doesn't even work on the manufacturer side, and the Generic OBD
graphing resolution doesn't impress in the least. I wonder how much
has to do with the limited storage capacity of the VCI verses the CF
card + onboard storage of the Solus? Sometimes I think a Genisys would
be better, but then I slap myself.

Have you used the Mastertech for Toyota as a comparison to AE?

Toyota MDT in MO

Old November 21st 06, 07:17 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article
.com>,
"Comboverfish" > wrote:

> > Very strong on Ford, very strong on GM, as strong as I've seen on
> > Toyota, a little weak on Chrysler but they (Jay) say it's in the
> > works.

> So, did you throw off the "golden handcuffs" of the Snap On VCI yet?
> (""=your words)

heh-heh-heh... In the span of a week and a half, that's two
people who've brought that up. The other was John Thornton.

> I'm debating on a trade in Solus deal, but not until they impliment
> better Toyota functionality.

Another shop owner in town here had a Solus for a loaner for 3
months while his Modis was in for repair. He hated that thing so
bad I loaned him my other brick to use.

> I mean like having sensor data for a
> certain year range but not having it for the same powertrain system in
> a different year range;

Yup.

> lacking simple data,

Been there.

> not being able to
> customize a data list during active testing, etc.

Done that.

> My MTG2500 graphing
> doesn't even work on the manufacturer side,

Just like how my Scan Grafix doesn't always work on some OBD2
stuff.

> and the Generic OBD
> graphing resolution doesn't impress in the least.

May have more to do with generic data rates than it does the tool.

> I wonder how much
> has to do with the limited storage capacity of the VCI verses the CF
> card + onboard storage of the Solus?

And when the Solus is maxed out in a couple of years, then what?

> Sometimes I think a Genisys would
> be better, but then I slap myself.

I was close to buying a Genisys a couple of years ago, then I
started reading all the horror stories and rethought that idea.

> Have you used the Mastertech for Toyota as a comparison to AE?

Haven't touched a Mastertech in ten years, we had one in the Wis.
IM-240 program for diagnosing ping-pong cars, that and a CAS
SuperGuide <spit>. The Mastertech was great, the SuperGuide was
so bad, I brought my Counsellor 2 in from home.

If you wind up getting the AE, I'd be interested in hearing how
it compares to the Mastertech w/Toyota software.
Old November 21st 06, 11:59 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
TeGGeR®

aarcuda69062 > wrote in news:nonelson-
:

> Haven't touched a Mastertech in ten years, we had one in the Wis.
> IM-240 program for diagnosing ping-pong cars,

"Ping-pong cars"?

--
TeGGeR
Old November 21st 06, 12:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Thanks Lawrence, I have tried two scanners.

Old November 21st 06, 12:29 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

When I hit the gas the values change. Not much but they change. I'll
take your word for it though.

Old November 21st 06, 02:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
[email protected]

Whats odd is that when the car doesnt start when it's cold down a bit
it consistantly does it at 170 degrees.

Old November 21st 06, 03:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

> wrote:
>The job is about $380. The part is cheap but the labor is crazy. That's
>a little too much to swap without knowing for sure. =(

I don't know where it is on that car, so I can't say if you should try it
yourself or not.

But, I'd still check the fuel pressure.
--scott

Old November 21st 06, 06:08 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lawrence Glickman

On 21 Nov 2006 04:20:19 -0800, wrote:

>Thanks Lawrence, I have tried two scanners.
>
>On Nov 20, 9:59 pm, aarcuda69062 > wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Lawrence Glickman > wrote:

Sokay.
aarcuda is the boss. He has the knowledge and experience...period.
End of story. Anyone who challenges one of his diagnoses is an ass.

That said, I went out just because of _your_ problem, and checked my
own sensors. They look fine afaik. 2 different scanners also. Davis
Drive Right and Actron 9145 each read
B1S1
B1S2
B2S1
B2S2

Then I compared them over a number of trips, and all looks OK to me.
The point is, I would rather have a computer tell me what is wrong,
than fudge around with a hand held voltmeter under the hood with the
engine running...trying to backprobe these things, especially
considering where they are located is hot Hot HOT.

I also monitor my STFT's and LTFT's, and see nothing out of the
ordinary on my -own- vehicle. Well, it runs fine but I only have a
little over 25,000 miles on it, so this is what one would expect.

Fortunately? my engine has been around so long, in the chassis of most
Tauri (plural of Taurus?) that it is pretty well known where its
strength and weaknesses are. It's pretty well documented on the web.

It is my first and only computer-controlled vehicle, so I have no
reference points for anything else, except carbureted junkers that
never cost me more than $200 cash up front ( repairing them cost more
).

Those *beaters* as I call them lasted me many years, but they nickled
and dimed me to death in parts and time to repair. Living without a
car here is out of the question. It is a necessity...not a
convenience. Thusly my newfound interest in the Topic, and my
presence on the n/g, sucking up information.

Because I have scanners, I can theoretically save myself grief. The
idea is to Pass Inspection. If I don't, I can't re-register my car
until I can. I'm given X number of days to repair, and return for
reinspection. If I am going to drive on invalid plates, I'm asking
for jail and a stiff fine.

Lg

Old November 21st 06, 08:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Shep

If you have no spark, or injector pulse/rpm readings on the scanner when
this occurs, as all have mentioned this very likely a cps, the time and cost
of the equipment to defintively track this down for most, is prohibitive.
ups.com...