Replaced rear wheel bearing on Integra

Old September 16th 07, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Default Replaced rear wheel bearing on Integra

Tegger wrote:

> My left rear was making noise, so I replaced it tonight.
>
> After almost 17 years and 300K miles, the amount of rust under there was
> horrendous.
>
> The 32mm spindle nut came off in maybe two seconds with my electric impact
> wrench. That wrench has so far not met its match; it has removed every bolt
> asked of it, no matter how tight or rusted.
>
> The bearing and hub (one unit) came off with no trouble at all, but it was
> the splash shield that gave all the grief. It's held on by four 10mm bolts,
> exactly the same bolts that hold the parking brake cover in place.
>
> These bolts' heads were corroded to the point that they were round. I had
> to Dremel them to some semblance of hexagonality, and ended up getting them
> out by hammering a 9mm socket over top of the Dremeled hexes.
>
> Three of the 10mm bolts are in blind holes, and came off without issue.
> Unfortunately, one bolt is in a through hole. This one resisted all efforts
> at removal and had to be drilled out, and the hole retapped.
>
> I then had to do lots of sculptor-type hammering and chipping on the
> trailing arm flange, which was very bumpy with rust. Sanding finished it
> off.
>
> I was going to take more photos, but I just wanted to rip through the job
> and only took these four.
> http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/...wheel_bearing/
>
> It looks so pretty now, I hate to drive it anywhere.

I have to commend you drive to keep, (Well, let's face it), a rolling
rust bucket on the road. I just hope that the structural integrity of
the body merits all that effort. My old '76 Civic rusted out from under
me at 160K back in the mid 1980's. Mechanically, it was nearly perfect!

<snif>

JT

(Who will hopefully never have to return to the rust belt)

Old September 18th 07, 12:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
:

> I have to commend you drive to keep, (Well, let's face it), a rolling
> rust bucket on the road. I just hope that the structural integrity of
> the body merits all that effort.

Me too. There are parts of the body I only get to inspect at greatly
dilated intervals, like the windshield pinchweld. I just hope those are
OK.

Everything I CAN see is fine, with no rust. Or if there is any, I catch
it in time to get rid of it before it becomes irreversible.

> My old '76 Civic rusted out from
> under me at 160K back in the mid 1980's. Mechanically, it was nearly
> perfect!

The '70s were bad for rust for just about everybody, especially Honda.

> <snif>
>
> JT
>
> (Who will hopefully never have to return to the rust belt)

I wish I didn't have to live here.

Consumer Reports just now has an issue out on how to keep your car going
more than 200K miles. They illustrate the article with some anecdotes
from people with examples of high-mileage vehicles. I noticed all of
them are from low-rust areas.

I almost want to write to CR and point out that living in the Northeast
makes 200K miles difficult to attain for the simple reason of rust. They
don't mention rust anywhere.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old September 18th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Grumpy AuContraire

Tegger wrote:

> Grumpy AuContraire > wrote in
> :
>

>>I have to commend you drive to keep, (Well, let's face it), a rolling
>>rust bucket on the road. I just hope that the structural integrity of
>>the body merits all that effort.

> Me too. There are parts of the body I only get to inspect at greatly
> dilated intervals, like the windshield pinchweld. I just hope those are
> OK.
>
> Everything I CAN see is fine, with no rust. Or if there is any, I catch
> it in time to get rid of it before it becomes irreversible.
>

>>My old '76 Civic rusted out from
>>under me at 160K back in the mid 1980's. Mechanically, it was nearly
>>perfect!

> The '70s were bad for rust for just about everybody, especially Honda.
>

>><snif>
>>
>>JT
>>
>>(Who will hopefully never have to return to the rust belt)
>>

> I wish I didn't have to live here.
>
> Consumer Reports just now has an issue out on how to keep your car going
> more than 200K miles. They illustrate the article with some anecdotes
> from people with examples of high-mileage vehicles. I noticed all of
> them are from low-rust areas.
>
> I almost want to write to CR and point out that living in the Northeast
> makes 200K miles difficult to attain for the simple reason of rust. They
> don't mention rust anywhere.

My discover that my ol' Honda was no longer safe to drive is when I
could bend by hand the brackets that held the rear suspension together.

I quickly retired the car and bought a $300 Gremlin that lasted over
five years but the mileage (mpg) sucked compared to the Honda. That ol'
AMC 258 2bbl in line six really had great performance though..

JT

E28 rear wheel bearing. Dave Plowman (News) BMW 1 January 3rd 07 12:02 PM
e30 rear wheel bearing Jack[_1_] BMW 4 September 30th 06 06:50 PM
Rear wheel bearing E36 320i BMW 1 August 3rd 06 05:44 AM
Rear Wheel Bearing Scott Hughes Mazda 4 June 7th 06 01:01 AM
Rear wheel bearing mystery [email protected] VW air cooled 6 December 31st 05 06:56 PM