156 Sportwagon Stereo Help

Old July 3rd 06, 10:47 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
[email protected]

Default 156 Sportwagon Stereo Help

Just got a 2003 156 Sportwagon but someone has been meddling with the
sound system and ditched the standard head unit for a 9 year old
Blaupunkt RNS149 navigation unit which I am not bothered about keeping.

I have three problems:

1. None of the steering controls work - I understand I can purchase an
adapter cable for this, has anyone had success with a similar task?

2. The tweeters on the Bose speaker system are dead. Slightly
frightened by this, could it be botched wiring or worse could they be
blown? Can anyone advise me how to narrow down the fault?

3. I would like to add a CD Changer. I know that the SW gets a clarion
unit that fits in a bin in the boot next to the 12V power source.

Does this connnect to any head unit?
Is there a preferrred path to run a cable to the dash?
How is the unit secured in the bin?
Are there any alternative units that could be mounted in this location?

Or should I just start from scratch and buy a new head unit and changer
package?

Grateful for any help or similar experiences.

Gary

Old July 4th 06, 06:22 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
[email protected]

Answering my own questions he

1. Got a universal adapter from Blaupunkt (for the stereo) and then a
marque specfic interface cable (again from Blaupunkt). Cost about £45
and was a lot to pack in behind the stereo - but works a treat.

2. The tweeter housings are empty if you have Bose speakers. If you
didn't get the Bose upgrade then the tweeter housings are used but in
Bose's design of the sound system those locations where deemed perfect
for their logo and naff all else. You can confirm this by checking the
manual for the stereo, in mine the Bose system is covered on the last
page and it mentions co-axial speakers in the front and rear with
tweeters and woofers housed in one unit (4 in total).

3. Likely going to get the Blaupunkt in dash CD changer with a long
cable and mount it in the boot in the bin next to the 12V Power Source.
Cable routing should be fun but then since the amp and subwoofer are
located there, how hard can it be?

Old July 5th 06, 12:31 AM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
di9it8

I use a Sony CD head unit(CD67 I recall), and the 6disc changer with
the connection cable running under the carpet by the doors up to the
LHS back cupboard. Perfect takes about 10 minutes to install head
changer and cable.

Old July 5th 06, 04:35 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
[email protected]

Hi Aslan,

The original stereo is a Blaupunkt I believe, my car came with an
aftermarket Blaupunkt navigation head unit but the steering controls
weren't working (though the speakers and amp were).

Having been round the back of head unit the standard connector was
plugged into the replacement head unit, no adapter required. Mines a
2003 GTA Sportwagon if that helps any.

The steering controls were fixed by getting an adapter cable from
Blaupunkt (via www.bluespot.co.uk) which came in two parts. One section
had jumpers that needed setting to the model of the stereo. The other
was specifc to the car. Plug one into the other and the ends into the
head unit/original steering controls and all was well.

The guys at the Blaupunkt technical line were mighty helpful too, they
gave me the part numbers to order.

Cheers,

Gary

Old July 10th 06, 11:54 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Aslan[_1_]

wrote:
> Hi Aslan,
>
> The original stereo is a Blaupunkt I believe, my car came with an
> aftermarket Blaupunkt navigation head unit but the steering controls
> weren't working (though the speakers and amp were).
>
> Having been round the back of head unit the standard connector was
> plugged into the replacement head unit, no adapter required. Mines a
> 2003 GTA Sportwagon if that helps any.
>
> The steering controls were fixed by getting an adapter cable from
> Blaupunkt (via
www.bluespot.co.uk) which came in two parts. One
> section had jumpers that needed setting to the model of the stereo.
> The other was specifc to the car. Plug one into the other and the
> ends into the head unit/original steering controls and all was well.
>
> The guys at the Blaupunkt technical line were mighty helpful too, they
> gave me the part numbers to order.

Thx for your input, great help!!
My Bosch/Bose/Blaupunkt guys said can't be done! I thought yeah right!!
Problem temporarily solved :-)
I have tried with my Sony MP30 - No go
Borrowed a Blaupunkt MILANO MP34 from a friend, plugged it in and behold:
there was sound!

No steringwheel control (I'll get that adaptercable, when I get my own
HeadUnit).

Only problem now is, that I have to figure out, why it restarts every time
ignitionkey is removed, but since we are leaving for Liguria and Toscana
friday I'll stop messing around with electric installations :-)

Aslan

2004 156 RST 2.0 JTS with optional Bose