Potholes as Traffic Control Devices

Old June 11th 05, 10:04 PM
Johann Fitzgerald

Default Potholes as Traffic Control Devices

Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
too.

Old June 11th 05, 10:07 PM
Furious George

Johann Fitzgerald wrote:
> Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
> cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
> too.

Since they cost nothing to construct they are highly cost efficient.

Old June 12th 05, 12:27 AM
Archie Leach

On 11 Jun 2005 14:04:11 -0700, in misc.transport.road "Johann
Fitzgerald" > wrote:

>Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
>cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
>too.

http://www.myfoto.com.au/Photo/amyli...rbee134875.jpg

"I don't look at myself as a basketball coach;
I look at myself as a leader who happens to coach
basketball."--Mike Krzyzewski, Duke University head
basketball coach

"I really don't think that it's a job of a high school
coach to produce college players, and I don't think
that it's the college coach's job to produce
professional players."--Kirk Ferentz,
University of Iowa head football coach
Old June 12th 05, 01:15 AM
Johann Fitzgerald

Old June 12th 05, 02:10 AM
Dave Smith

Johann Fitzgerald wrote:

> Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
> cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
> too.

Potholes do not help drainage. Quite the contrary, they impede drainage.
In areas where there is heavy frost pot holes are the first step toward
serious deterioration of the road surface. Water gets into the hole and
the repeated freezing and thawing night and day expands the problem area
leading to complete disintegration of the hard surface. Vehicles hitting
passing over the exposed edges break them of expanding the size of the pot
hole. Besides, vehicles slowing to 5 mph for the hazards impede traffic,
causing backups and......accidents. A few dollars spent to repair a small
pothole will extend the life of the road, reduce damage to vehicles and
accidents.

Old June 12th 05, 03:04 AM
Sherman L. Cahal

Johann Fitzgerald wrote:
> Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
> cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
> too.

What an idiotic statement. What would happen in the winter, when the
water inflitrates the pothole, causing it to break apart even more? And
then seep into the subbase and cause the road to fall apart? I mean,
hell, you are proposing NO maintaince on the road at all, so why not
turn it into gravel? Your statement is conclusive to that; that is what
the road will become without work to prevent these obstructions.

What do you propose we do on interstates? Not repair the potholes? Let
them become wastelands?

And your comment that it will slow traffic down is stupid. Speed humps,
traffic circles and signs are much more effective. There is _no_ reason
traffic should be going 5 MPH at any rate. 20 MPH is the lowest I have
seen a residental street posted, and even that was too slow. 25 MPH
would have been more effective.

Old June 12th 05, 04:14 AM
Pop-N-Fresh

potholes.... the urban offroaders paradise... if theyre big enough...
and theres enough of them

Old June 12th 05, 04:20 AM
The Real Bev

Rich areas get speedbumps, poor areas get potholes. Both have the same
result.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old June 12th 05, 04:40 AM
Sherman L. Cahal

The Real Bev wrote:
> Rich areas get speedbumps, poor areas get potholes. Both have the same
> result.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev

Yeah, they slow traffic and they kill everything underneath your car.

Old June 12th 05, 05:21 AM
The Real Bev

"Sherman L. Cahal" wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> > Rich areas get speedbumps, poor areas get potholes. Both have the same
> > result.

> Yeah, they slow traffic and they kill everything underneath your car.

Exactly. Another insidious form of traffic control: residential
intersections where one street is smooth and the other has dips on each side
of the smooth street. They put stop signs on the smooth street, letting the
dips take care of the other street. Cheesy.

--
Cheers,
Bev