Power windows stopped working on my E36, any ideas?

Old March 18th 05, 09:11 AM
Spack

Default Power windows stopped working on my E36, any ideas?

My '93 E36 320i lost power to the electric windows (fronts only fitted in my
car) yesterday, and I'm after some advice of what to look for before I rip
the centre console out. Sunroof works fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not the
comfort relay, and the fuse is fine (swapped for the 10A rear fogs fuse, and
those worked with the fuse from the windows). There's no power to the window
switches at all.

Everything was fine until yesterday when I swapped the phone cradle on the
Nokia CARK91 that was fitted long ago with one that is compatible with the
new Nokia phones. It only required disconnecting the old cradle, plugging
the new one into the Nokia control box, and removing the old cradle. Rather
than take the centre console out I carefully slid the old cable out, which
was routed down the right hand side of the console. I can only assume that
in doing so I must have pulled a connector apart. Are there any connectors
for the window switches there? I lifted the gearstick boot and found a
connector with brown + violet/green/yellow on the left side, but this seems
to be a connector for the hood switch to connect to the factory alarm system
(which I don't have, I had a 3rd party alarm fitted).

Does anyone have any pictures of the wiring that is fed around the sides of
the gear boot under the centre console, so I have an idea of what I'm
looking for? Or any suggestions on what I'm looking for when I take the
centre console out?

Dan

Old March 18th 05, 09:34 AM
Spack

Typical, just after posting this I noticed that the wiring diagram I was
looking at was obviously not for my car as it had a 30A fuse rather than the
10A mine has in F33. Found the only diagram in the Bentley manual that had
the 10A and realised I had a switch on the dash - I guess that's the
automatic cutout shown in the diagram. I guess I may have knocked the
connector behind that, so I'm taking the panel off under the steering later
to see if that's the problem. Hopefully it's as simple as that

Dan

Old March 18th 05, 12:49 PM
Spack

Spack wrote on Fri, 18 Mar 2005 09:34:01 -0000:

> Typical, just after posting this I noticed that the wiring diagram I was
> looking at was obviously not for my car as it had a 30A fuse rather than
> the 10A mine has in F33. Found the only diagram in the Bentley manual that
> had the 10A and realised I had a switch on the dash - I guess that's the
> automatic cutout shown in the diagram. I guess I may have knocked the
> connector behind that, so I'm taking the panel off under the steering
> later to see if that's the problem. Hopefully it's as simple as that

I'll chalk that up to experience then. The bottom connector on the breaker
had come off. At least I've got my windows back, with no aircon I'm going to
need the windows open now it's warmed up

Dan

Old March 18th 05, 06:01 PM
Randy

You know, if you're just going to talk to yourself, you don't really need to
post to a newsgroup. :-}

Randy
Old March 19th 05, 08:55 AM
Spack

"Randy" > wrote in message
> You know, if you're just going to talk to yourself, you don't really need
> post to a newsgroup. :-}

Damn, you interrupted my monologue :P

Dan

air horns stopped working! Dan Mazda 3 January 31st 05 07:57 AM
Power Windows D'Elbow VW water cooled 4 January 25th 05 03:07 AM
Caravan power window not working BV Dodge 4 June 16th 04 09:39 PM
Power Windows ('98 A6) Question eBob.com Audi 1 June 8th 04 02:20 AM