Potholes as Traffic Control Devices

Old June 12th 05, 05:53 AM
Mike Tantillo

Sherman L. Cahal wrote:

(snip)

> There is _no_ reason
> traffic should be going 5 MPH at any rate.

Unless, of course, you happen to be in a Thruway E-ZPass Only lane....

GOtta love how the Thruway Authority's definition of "high speed"
E-ZPass is 20 MPH.....though at least other places are catching on
(Outerbridge, GWB Palisades and Lower Level plazas also feature 20 MPH
E-ZPass lanes).

Old June 12th 05, 12:20 PM
Joe Canuck

Johann Fitzgerald wrote:

> Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
> cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
> too.

I see you haven't been to Montreal, Quebec Canada in the spring yet.

Old June 13th 05, 04:35 AM
Paul Hovnanian

"Sherman L. Cahal" wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote:
> > Rich areas get speedbumps, poor areas get potholes. Both have the same
> > result.
> >
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Bev

> Yeah, they slow traffic and they kill everything underneath your car.

And people wonder why we insist on driving jacked up SUVs that never see
off road duty. The roads are getting bad enough that cars just won't cut
it anymore.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Opinions stated herein are the sole property of the author. Standard
Old June 14th 05, 05:51 PM
Furious George

Sherman L. Cahal wrote:
> Johann Fitzgerald wrote:
> > Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
> > cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
> > too.

> What an idiotic statement. What would happen in the winter, when the
> water inflitrates the pothole, causing it to break apart even more? And
> then seep into the subbase and cause the road to fall apart? I mean,
> hell, you are proposing NO maintaince on the road at all, so why not
> turn it into gravel? Your statement is conclusive to that; that is what
> the road will become without work to prevent these obstructions.
>
> What do you propose we do on interstates? Not repair the potholes? Let
> them become wastelands?

It beats wasting money fixing them.

Old June 14th 05, 06:02 PM
N8N

Furious George wrote:
> Sherman L. Cahal wrote:
> > Johann Fitzgerald wrote:
> > > Potholes only damage cars if you hit them if you're going fast. If you
> > > cross them at 5 mph they do nothing. Besides, they help drainage out,
> > > too.

> > What an idiotic statement. What would happen in the winter, when the
> > water inflitrates the pothole, causing it to break apart even more? And
> > then seep into the subbase and cause the road to fall apart? I mean,
> > hell, you are proposing NO maintaince on the road at all, so why not
> > turn it into gravel? Your statement is conclusive to that; that is what
> > the road will become without work to prevent these obstructions.
> >
> > What do you propose we do on interstates? Not repair the potholes? Let
> > them become wastelands?

> It beats wasting money fixing them.

They tried that in PA; didn't work.

nate

Old June 14th 05, 10:10 PM
Ad absurdum per aspera

>> What do you propose we do on interstates? Not repair the potholes? Let
>> them become wastelands?

> It beats wasting money fixing them.

You may want to look into which President kicked off this program and
how his previous gig inspired his abiding interest in the subject.

We still have that need to some extent... and meanwhile, commerce has
become absolutely dependent on fast, near-all-weather throughways such
as this. And no, we can't substitute other modes of transportation.
Freight trains, trucks, ships, and airplanes are all role players in a
web of infrastructure; none can do the whole job by itself (though
trucks could come closer than the others).

As for leaving potholes be, that's an excellent way to make the street
or highway return to nature (or at least a contaminated, infertile
parody of nature). Ignoring a pothole is the civil engineering
equivalent of ignoring a big oil leak in your car. If you want to have
the street or highway at all for very long, never mind keeping it in
any sort of driveable condition, you have to give it maintenance.

Cheers,
--Joe

Old June 17th 05, 02:33 PM
Furious George

Ad absurdum per aspera wrote:
> >> What do you propose we do on interstates? Not repair the potholes? Let
> >> them become wastelands?

> > It beats wasting money fixing them.

> You may want to look into which President kicked off this program and
> how his previous gig inspired his abiding interest in the subject.
>
> We still have that need to some extent... and meanwhile, commerce has
> become absolutely dependent on fast, near-all-weather throughways such
> as this.

Then commerce can pay to have the potholes fixed.

> And no, we can't substitute other modes of transportation.
> Freight trains, trucks, ships, and airplanes are all role players in a
> web of infrastructure; none can do the whole job by itself (though
> trucks could come closer than the others).
>
> As for leaving potholes be, that's an excellent way to make the street
> or highway return to nature (or at least a contaminated, infertile
> parody of nature).

It's OK by me.

Old June 17th 05, 04:24 PM
Rothman

>> Ignoring a pothole is the civil engineering
>> equivalent of ignoring a big oil leak in your car. If you want to have
>> the street or highway at all for very long, never mind keeping it in
>> any sort of driveable condition, you have to give it maintenance...

....and, if you don't maintain the roads, the gov't could get sued for
negligence...