Grand Prix Legends - Still Alive?

Old June 6th 05, 06:11 PM
Malc

"Zen NewsGroups" > wrote in message
> Hi guys,
>
> Have not posted here for a few years... maybe three...
> I believe this was the newsgroup for Grand Prix Legends but not sure.
> I am just wondering if this simulator is still alive out there and
> kicking and if people are still playing it on VROC.
> I find very little information about GPL on the net these days...

Still going, lots of choice for good sims though so although the simracing
community seems bigger than ever it's spread out more than it used to be.

For info & chat http://forum.rscnet.org/ is as good as any.

Malc.

Old June 6th 05, 06:38 PM
Zen NewsGroups

Default Grand Prix Legends - Still Alive?

Hi guys,

Have not posted here for a few years... maybe three...
I believe this was the newsgroup for Grand Prix Legends but not sure.
I am just wondering if this simulator is still alive out there and
kicking and if people are still playing it on VROC.
I find very little information about GPL on the net these days...

I connected a wheel to my pc the other day and fired it up, and then
realized how amazingly realistic this simulator is and I think I got hooked
again when I managed to hit 1.27.xx in Monza after such a long time... ;-).

Those were good days and the GPL community was quite a large one. I
remember Greger Hutu, Wolfgang Woeger, and some other names as the quick
boys... I was competitive, but these guys were insane.
Just seen Andre Warringa's name on this post I remember this name from
the GPL days as well. ;-)
If GPL is not around, what is the simulator of the moment for F1 these
days?

Hope you all doing well and still enjoying yourselves with online fun.

Any replies appreciated.

Regards all,

Mauricio.

Old June 7th 05, 02:14 AM
Ruud Dingemans

Zen NewsGroups wrote:
> I believe this was the newsgroup for Grand Prix Legends but not sure.
> I am just wondering if this simulator is still alive out there and
> kicking and if people are still playing it on VROC.

Are you kidding? Of course!

Still dozens of people daily to be found on Vroc, although attendance
has been 'split' between Vroc and iGor these days (the latter mostly
used for drivng the cars in the 1965 Mod).

> realized how amazingly realistic this simulator is and I think I got hooked
> again when I managed to hit 1.27.xx in Monza after such a long time... ;-).

That is very good, wish I was that fast, still am not

> If GPL is not around, what is the simulator of the moment for F1 these
> days?

Well, for old-fashioned open-wheelin' GPL with all its updates is still
the thing, and will be for a while with 1969, 1955, 1937 'Titans' and
F2/F3/FFord mods in the forseeable future,

but for modern open-wheeling I guess F1C and maybe RFactor are the
things to have at this moment. Until the West Brothers actually deliver,
of course

Check out the RSC and GPL '65 sites (at Speedgeezers), I bet you still
haven't discovered how much GPL has expanded in recent years.

Regards, Rudy
(GPLRank: -24)
Old June 7th 05, 02:16 PM
Plowboy

think he''l come back and update us in another 5-8 years? lol...

he should be one busy dude thou, especially with so many links gone bad...

Ruud Dingemans enlightened us with:

Old June 12th 05, 08:42 PM
Andre Warringa

On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 18:38:03 +0100, "Zen NewsGroups"
> wrote:

> Just seen Andre Warringa's name on this post I remember this name from
>the GPL days as well. ;-)

Nice that someone remembers my name
Unfortunately but logically VROC isn't as crowded anymore as it used
to be, many empty races nowadays. I still play GPL often though,
stillll trying to go sub-8 on the ring and sub-27 on monza (did 27.1
three times now.. frustrating )

I played all other sims released after GPL, some of them are excellent
and technically much better than GPL, but for some reason they all
bored me after a while, while GPL still knows how to increase my
heartrate

Andre
Old June 13th 05, 01:05 PM
Dan Leach

"Andre Warringa" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 6 Jun 2005 18:38:03 +0100, "Zen NewsGroups"
> > wrote:
>
> > Just seen Andre Warringa's name on this post I remember this name

from
> >the GPL days as well. ;-)

> Nice that someone remembers my name
> Unfortunately but logically VROC isn't as crowded anymore as it used
> to be, many empty races nowadays. I still play GPL often though,
> stillll trying to go sub-8 on the ring and sub-27 on monza (did 27.1
> three times now.. frustrating )
>
> I played all other sims released after GPL, some of them are excellent
> and technically much better than GPL, but for some reason they all
> bored me after a while, while GPL still knows how to increase my
> heartrate
>
> Andre

Agreed, thats about the same for me. Most things ive tried are great, but i
lose interest after a while. Not so with gpl though
Except i already have a sub 8 and a 26 :P

Old June 16th 05, 10:12 PM
Zen NewsGroups

Hi all,

I was surprised actually to get any responses...
One day while playing quake online, some guys were chatting about F1
simulators, I threw in the word GPL and they said I must be very old, cause
none of them ever heard of such sim. ;-).
I then tried to remember when this all started... And it was a while
ago.
I remember spending at first, a bit of money on a new video card, then a
bit more memory, soon the processor wasnt powerful enough, dumped the
joystick, then needed more precision from the pedals and the sterring wheel,
more cash required... After that a good internet connection was essential to
my file, bang on 64k ISDN, then another 3 more channels in the end, 256k
ISDN and another big chunk of my salary every month chewed up by GPL
insaciable madness. It was just hard to believe how it could feel so
realisltic sitting on your desk chair ;-). i couldn't stop. Not to mention
that, to arrive at all the above mentioned I had done thousands of laps on
many of the circuits.
And it wouldn't end because you would just change your car and start
over again another circuit, and another car. Got worse when I discovered the
Ferrari was by a mile the best and most rewarding car to drive in GPL, it
refined my skills and revied GPL all over again... I was quick now, I
thought my goodness now I will never stop.
My girlfriend says she remembers looking at my back for years... ;-).
I remember my desk being almost inaccessible due to so much GPL acessories.
Those were fun days for sure..
I had a backup of my GPL folder, I restored it the other day and fired
it up, I was actually a bit excited about trying it again. But then it
didn't run ;-). I bombs back to XP. I fiddled a lot but still couldn't run
it, but I have to investigate further. Meanwhile where is that Logitech old
thing I had? ;-).
Modern F1 has been so boring to me in recent years with all the gizmos
remote controlled cars, that I am seriously thinking about going back to
GPL. I drive racing cars now an then but I dream of driving one of those
cars in reality. To me its a long way away when F1 today and future will be
anything near the F1 of the past, in terms of the car/driver relationship.
Traction control to this day amazes me how they use it so happily.
I watch motorbikes racing these days. These guys have to deliver all
that hp in a smotth controlled, agressive manner in order to be quick, too
much squirt and your on the floor, they have to exercise superb control of
the bike and their bodies to balance the centre of gravity on those
bikes...Every time I see that I think to myself what happened to F1? ;-).
In my view anyone that drove the GPL sim and never even been in a racing
car in their lives, will probably find F1 today boring to say the least.
Here in England the commentators have to find something to go on ab out
until the pit stops, otherwise its a long discussion about fuel strategy,
and how long it took the get the fuel, 2 stops, 3 stops. Strategy....
Pfff.... ;-). Meanwhile on the track the TV director spends 3 minutes
showing a car being lifted away because its from his country or something.
Before the race commentators talk to the celebrities and ask them abou
their personal lives. Who cares, we are here to whatch the so called
"racing" innit? ;-).
I could go on I am affraid to say ;-), but this post is not even really
about F1 today ;-). But there you go.

Thanks for the replies i will check the links and bring GPL back from
the ashes again.... ;-)..

Cheers.

Mauricio.