Detroit Vs Japan

Old May 31st 05, 07:47 AM
Dave Milne

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sorcery

Sorcery is a sub-type of witchcraft.

Let's recap - we have found that almost all of the major translations uses
witch. Those that don't use sorceror.
Bill, you can bluster all you like, but you are absolutely nailed on this,
and frankly sir, you know it !

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Old May 31st 05, 08:25 AM
Stephen Cowell

"L.W. (ßill) Hughes III" > wrote in message
> "often with the aid of a devil or familiar : SORCERESS"
> Like the synonym for Bronco is Jeep?

You'll have to provide a dictionary cite for
that one, I'm afraid... at least it's steering
back on-topic!
__
Steve
..

Old May 31st 05, 08:29 AM
Stephen Cowell

"Dave Milne" > wrote in message
. uk...
> http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=sorcery
>
> Sorcery is a sub-type of witchcraft.
>
> Let's recap - we have found that almost all of the major translations uses
> witch. Those that don't use sorceror.
> Bill, you can bluster all you like, but you are absolutely nailed on this,
> and frankly sir, you know it !

Actually, I checked all the versions at BibleGateway.com and
while lots of them cite 'witchcraft', only the older KJV has
Exodus 22:18 with a witch... all the rest use 'sorceress',
which is kinda funny in a way, sort of revisionism.
'Sorceress' sounds more sexy and powerful, too...
__
Steve
..

Old May 31st 05, 08:48 AM
Dave Milne

I wonder if the Hebrew draws such a fine distinction ?

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

. ..

Old May 31st 05, 06:16 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

OK, My full sized Bronco is a Jeep, the song say so. And it out
climbs all TJs.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 31st 05, 07:27 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's because it is sexiest, a Sorcerer is like a magic man, and
may
look like: http://www.harrypotterrealm.com/movi...iler_albus.jpg
Where movies may portray a Witch as any conniving female like Bell Book
and Candle, but I my conception is like most, and are what their masks
look like sold for Halloween:
http://image08.webshots.com/8/6/67/7...1vdvLHx_fs.jpg And of
course a Witch may not be male, they are Warlocks.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 31st 05, 09:55 PM
Ruel Smith

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> you mentioned that you were considering IT and as i excuse myself from
> this conversation before mike hurts himself ill add this.Â*Â*ifÂ*youre
> alreadyÂ*a licensed plumber i would stay put (unless you dont like what
> youre doing). as the industry is becoming flooded with wanna-be
> administrators the real money will be reserved for only the best of the
> best.Â*Â*inÂ*fact,Â*asÂ*moreÂ*and more people rush into IT the demand in the
> service industry will only grow stronger.Â*Â*hvac/r,Â*plumbing,Â*electricians,
> controls,Â*etc.Â*willÂ*beÂ*inÂ*very high demand in the future.Â*Â*iÂ*myselfÂ*am
> preparingÂ*toÂ*launchÂ*myÂ*own refrigeration business and it looks like im
> going to have to pay moving expenses and offer incentives just to find
> qualified help.

Actually, I already _was_ in IT, but was supposed to be a programmer. I
programmed in Borland C++ Builder and helped maintain their small network
for a company for a short while, but they laid me off right around the time
of the dot-com collapse. I was taking Computer Science in college at that
time. I couldn't find another job in the field, with it shrinking so badly,
and me with that job as my only experience. I sold cars again for awhile,
even installed commercial laundry systems for a little over 3 years, and
eventually decided that I didn't want to be in another situation like the
programming job where the entire job field just collapses like it did and
decided to get into a trade. I'm now working on my journeyman's license as
a union plumber apprentice here in the Cincinnati area, local 392. I'm
pretty happy doing that.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old May 31st 05, 11:17 PM
Ruel Smith

Nathan W. Collier wrote:

> fair enough.Â*Â*iÂ*hadÂ*aÂ*unionÂ*shopÂ*solicitÂ*meÂ*fo rÂ*employmentÂ*recently
> offering $26 an hour and the look on his face suggested that he thought
> that was a tremendous offer.Â*Â*whenÂ*iÂ*toldÂ*themÂ*imÂ*alreadyÂ*earnin gÂ*more
> thanÂ*that,Â*andÂ*i dont have to subtract union dues from it plus im getting
> benefits, paid vacation (which officially starts tomorrow :-), etc. his
> expression changed. i went on further to discuss how i was able to stand
> upon my own work ethic and abilities and didnt need the protection of a
> union to keep working, and he excused himself from my table.

I wanted to add... The union rate in my local is only the minimum. Our rate
locally will be something like $27/hr for a journeyman in another week or
so and an additional $1.50 or so an hour if you're a foreman but I know
guys that are getting $32/hr, paid holidays & vacations, van/truck to drive
and other perks. The companies are only required to pay you at least the
contract rate. They're free to pay you more, and often do.

You do understand that unions fought and died for overtime pay, weekends
off, vacation, 8 hour days, benefits packages, retirement benefits, etc.,
don't you? You're not totally on your own two feet. The reason non-union
jobs paid them was to compete against union shops, in order to get workers.

I find it amusing when I talk to non-union guys on the job site, when they
claim unions suck, but they like getting $6/hr. pay bumps for prevailing
wage on state/federal funded jobs. And the most amusing thing I ever heard
was a guy tell me that we need non-union people on jobs too, in order to
keep the costs down. Now, saying I'm willing to do the same job for less
money is like saying I'm willing to pay more than other people for a new
car. It's retarded. I go where the money is. What he failed to realize is
that his company bids the work as if he's paid what the union guys make.
They just pocket the difference.

Oh...and the benefits are stellar. We just had a guy retire after 27 years
of service and he'll receive $5200 a month in pension, and he took a 7%
deduction for retiring at age 55. I've yet to find a 401k retirement plan
that pays that well unless you're some executive in the fat money. There's
Supplemental Unemployment Benefit (S.U.B), too, which is in addition to
unemployment and compensates you the difference in what you made in a 40
hr. week working and what unemployment pays you (important in construction
trades) and medical leave pay which pays you while you're off from work due
to a medical problem not associated with your job. None of these are even
available to non-union plumbers/pipefitters. That $27/hr. is what goes on
the check. There's another $11/hr that goes to various benefits the union
takes care of including ongoing education through the union's school for
various certifications/licenses that's totally free as long as you're in
the union. It's a pretty nice package...

BTW, our local is combined plumbers, pipefitters, steamfitters, _and_
mechanical equipment service, which is refrigeration/heating/air service.

--

Registered Linux user #378193
Old June 1st 05, 02:46 AM
Nathan W. Collier

"Ruel Smith" > wrote in message
> You do understand that unions fought and died for overtime pay, weekends
> off, vacation, 8 hour days, benefits packages, retirement benefits, etc.,
> don't you?

just like affirmative action, once upon a time the union was necessary.
just like affirmative action, that time has long since passed. the union is
no longer out for the worker, the union is nothing more than self serving
big business....the union is out for the union and the money that goes along
with it.

i cant speak for unskilled labor because i applied myself in order to master
multiple trades. perhaps dumb-asses who cannot survive on their own merit
need a union to protect their jobs (the strong carrying the weak) but i
choose to work in a free market place where only the strong survive and are
paid accordingly.

> saying I'm willing to do the same job for less
> money is like saying I'm willing to pay more than other people for a new
> car. It's retarded.

i dont understand where that came from? im not at all suggesting that
non-union can do it cheaper than union. in fact im paid nearly $5 an hour
more than the union journeymen who work in my field (plus i get
benefits/paid vacation/holiday pay/etc. and they get nothing beyond $26 an
hour). im saying that typical non-union employees can do it _better_ simply
because we stand upon our own merit. we have no other protection beyond our
skills and work ethic.

certainly there are exceptions to everything ive said, but im talking
realistic expectation at least for my geographical area.

--
Nathan W. Collier
http://7SlotGrille.com

Old June 1st 05, 06:44 AM
JohnM

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:
> Try Tijuana, it get old fast.
> God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
> http://www.billhughes.com/
>
> JohnM wrote:
>
>>Geez, that sounds like part of what makes it a nice place..

I'll have to ask you what Tijuana has to do with Japan..

John