Jeep YJ Lift and Transmission Question

Old May 16th 05, 12:01 AM
Keane Gruending

Default Jeep YJ Lift and Transmission Question

Hey,
I am looking at buying a Jeep YJ and I went and looked at a 95 YJ today. It
has a body lift on it, and the owners claim that this body lift messes with
the transmission linkage a bit. I took it for a drive, and there is a bit of
a grind going from 2-3, but the owners assure me that this is due to the
lift. The YJ has 168KMs on it, and a newer clutch. I phoned their mechanic,
and he said to his knowledge, the lift kit is what is causing the
transmission issue. So my question is this: is what the owners claim true?
Or are their other issues I should be looking at?

Thanks

Old May 16th 05, 12:05 AM
Jerry Bransford

The BL is not a likely source of grinding in the tranny. A BL CAN make
shifting all the way into a gear difficult but if it's just grinding
going in, that just sounds like a bad synchro.

Jerry

--
Jerry Bransford
PP-ASEL N6TAY
Old May 16th 05, 12:15 AM
Mike Romain

It is 'very' possible for that to be the issue. Some have to have it
trimmed or the inner boot removed. Especially if the installer screwed
up by 1/4" or so on the body tub's side to side measurements.

It is easy to check. Measure the outside edge of each corner to the
frame and see what you come up with. I have a tree in my driveway that
I use to anchor a hand winch to and jack the body up by the roll bar to
adjust it on the frame or add/remove body lifts. Last time I rolled my
CJ7, it took me less than half hour solo to put the body back on
square. It had shifted 1/2" or so and I was having shifting issues.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 16th 05, 12:42 AM
Mike Romain

I guess he could just remove the boot for a fast check?

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 16th 05, 03:45 AM
SoK66

"Keane Gruending" > wrote in message
> Hey,
> I am looking at buying a Jeep YJ and I went and looked at a 95 YJ today.
> It has a body lift on it, and the owners claim that this body lift messes
> with the transmission linkage a bit. I took it for a drive, and there is a
> bit of a grind going from 2-3, but the owners assure me that this is due
> to the lift. The YJ has 168KMs on it, and a newer clutch. I phoned their
> mechanic, and he said to his knowledge, the lift kit is what is causing
> the transmission issue. So my question is this: is what the owners claim
> true? Or are their other issues I should be looking at?
>
> Thanks

While a body lift and/or a transfer case drop can cause problems when
shifting into 2nd, 4th and reverse on YJs, that's probably not the issue
with the 2-3 shift grinding. The latter issue is more likely either the
wrong transmission lube (needs to be non-sulphur GL3, at most low sulphur
GL-4), or at worst a worn synchroniser. The former issue, wrong transmission
lube, is a common problem found with the AX15. It's a simple matyter of
draining the lube and refilling with the correct stuff.

If the body lift is an issue you'll find that the shifter is binding going
into 2nd, 4th & reverse, or that it won;t go all the way into those gears,
pops out, etc. The problem is the inner shift boot being pinched between the
shift lever and the driveshaft tunnel. There are several ways to remedy
this, you can cut away the inner boot (not a great idea), or remove the boot
and trim the floor pan back a bit, or carefully pound it back out of the way
a bit with a BMFH.

Old May 16th 05, 04:18 PM
Pop-N-Fresh

define BMFH.... ive never heard that phrase but my best guess is "big
mother f**kin hammer".... course i could be wrong :-)

Old May 16th 05, 05:31 PM
Mike Romain

LOL! Yup, you guess good.... One step up from a BFH.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 16th 05, 11:27 PM
Dave Milne

also known as the "Glasgow Screwdriver"
:-)

Dave Milne, Scotland
'91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

oups.com...

Old May 17th 05, 04:55 AM
SoK66

"Pop-N-Fresh" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> define BMFH.... ive never heard that phrase but my best guess is "big
> mother f**kin hammer".... course i could be wrong :-)>

You have it nailed! ;-)

Old May 17th 05, 04:57 AM
SoK66

LMAO!!!!

(My Scottish ancestors are probably really ****ed at me right now!)

"Dave Milne" > wrote in message
. uk...
> also known as the "Glasgow Screwdriver"
> :-)
>
> Dave Milne, Scotland
> '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ
>
> "Pop-N-Fresh" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> define BMFH.... ive never heard that phrase but my best guess is "big
>> mother f**kin hammer".... course i could be wrong :-)

Transmission Skid Plate popeyeball Jeep 1 March 31st 05 06:37 AM
installing transmission rjh44 Jeep 2 March 15th 05 03:22 PM
1987 Ford Ranger 2.9 4X4 auto w/overdrive transmission change/swap Reg 4x4 0 July 1st 04 02:43 AM
Dodge Ram Van 350 Transmission Adam General 1 June 15th 04 06:33 PM