Yet another case ID question

Old February 7th 05, 08:48 PM
Animal

Default Yet another case ID question

I have read the Haynes manual, read Muir's book, cracked the case and
cleaned it and still can not figure out what engine I have inherited. (I
cracked the case because when I drained the oil, water poured out.)

The only identifying marks are a "014" stamped on the flywheel-side of
the case (on the outer flange face at the top) and:

2BR Brazil
20 000.101.101.4

on both sides of the case at the sump.

Any help would be appreciated since I'm unable to go forward with the
rebuild without knowing what case this is.

Regards,
Animal
Old February 8th 05, 08:05 PM
Billy Bad Assr©

look in the VW info section -- you should find all that you require

http://www.lennysvw.com

--
BBA
°?°

Old February 9th 05, 02:16 AM
Animal

Billy Bad Assr© wrote:
> look in the VW info section -- you should find all that you require
>
> http://www.lennysvw.com

Thanks for the tip, but I've been there, done that, read it, and made it
into a t-shirt. My basic and fundamental problem is that the engine ID
is not where its supposed to be. There is a lack of information. A
great, gapping void of data other than:
2BR Brazil
20 000.101.101.4

That numbering sequence is not found in Type1, 2, 3, or 4. Furthermore,
these numbers on on the bottom sides of the case, above the sump which
is not where any of the ID's are supposed to be. This leads me to
believe that the number have nothing to do with the case ID.

There are three possibilities. Someone ground the numbers off the case,
this is a 'knock-off', or I'm an idiot. I hope the problem involves the
later.

Thanks,
Animal
Old February 9th 05, 02:43 AM
P.J.Berg

Animal wrote:
> Billy Bad Assr© wrote:
>> look in the VW info section -- you should find all that you require
>>
>> http://www.lennysvw.com
>>

> Thanks for the tip, but I've been there, done that, read it, and made
> it into a t-shirt. My basic and fundamental problem is that the
> engine ID is not where its supposed to be. There is a lack of
> information. A great, gapping void of data other than:
> 2BR Brazil
> 20 000.101.101.4
>
> That numbering sequence is not found in Type1, 2, 3, or 4.
> Furthermore, these numbers on on the bottom sides of the case, above
> the sump which is not where any of the ID's are supposed to be. This
> leads me to believe that the number have nothing to do with the case
> ID.
>
> There are three possibilities. Someone ground the numbers off the
> case, this is a 'knock-off', or I'm an idiot. I hope the problem
> involves the later.
>
> Thanks,
> Animal

A Brazilian universial/replacement case...? Which means it could contain any
known combo..

J.

Old February 9th 05, 06:45 AM
Animal

P.J.Berg wrote:
> Animal wrote:
>
>>Billy Bad Assr© wrote:
>>
>>>look in the VW info section -- you should find all that you require
>>>
>>>http://www.lennysvw.com
>>>

>>Thanks for the tip, but I've been there, done that, read it, and made
>>it into a t-shirt. My basic and fundamental problem is that the
>>engine ID is not where its supposed to be. There is a lack of
>>information. A great, gapping void of data other than:
>>2BR Brazil
>>20 000.101.101.4
>>
>>That numbering sequence is not found in Type1, 2, 3, or 4.
>>Furthermore, these numbers on on the bottom sides of the case, above
>>the sump which is not where any of the ID's are supposed to be. This
>>leads me to believe that the number have nothing to do with the case
>>ID.
>>
>>There are three possibilities. Someone ground the numbers off the
>>case, this is a 'knock-off', or I'm an idiot. I hope the problem
>>involves the later.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Animal

> A Brazilian universial/replacement case...? Which means it could contain any
> known combo..
>
> J.

Thanks. Someone else today said it was probably a dual relief universal
case.

So, uh, what exactly is a Universal case? From RTFM'ing it appears that
I need to know exactly what this thing was in order to rebuild it. Is
there a universal gasket set?

All I really want to do is take the pieces to a machinist and have
everything measured/checked, then replace the pistons, get the heads
done, a new carburetor, alternator (or convert to one), and turn it into
a manual instead of a auto-stick.

Simple!

Animal
Old February 10th 05, 03:46 PM
Karl

> So, uh, what exactly is a Universal case? From RTFM'ing it appears that
> I need to know exactly what this thing was in order to rebuild it. Is
> there a universal gasket set?

A Universal case means it will fit:
a type 1 car... nothing special there. Other than the oil sender opening.
a type 2 bus.. 68 and up means it must have the 3 machined holes for the rear hanger bar
a type 3 car.... which means is has to have the rear hanger bar holes like for a bus AND it has to
have the oil fill opening at the right rear corner. The opening will have a cover on it, held on
with 2 bolts. The oil sender opening has to be plugged, since a type 3 uses the sender on the oil
cooler.

It is a standard dual relief case, nothing fancy inside. It will require the doghouse oil cooler and
support, the machined support hole will be 8mm and not 6mm.

Old February 10th 05, 11:44 PM
Animal

Karl wrote:
>>So, uh, what exactly is a Universal case? From RTFM'ing it appears that
>>I need to know exactly what this thing was in order to rebuild it. Is
>>there a universal gasket set?

> A Universal case means it will fit:
> a type 1 car... nothing special there. Other than the oil sender opening.
> a type 2 bus.. 68 and up means it must have the 3 machined holes for the rear hanger bar
> a type 3 car.... which means is has to have the rear hanger bar holes like for a bus AND it has to
> have the oil fill opening at the right rear corner. The opening will have a cover on it, held on
> with 2 bolts. The oil sender opening has to be plugged, since a type 3 uses the sender on the oil
> cooler.
>
> It is a standard dual relief case, nothing fancy inside. It will require the doghouse oil cooler and
> support, the machined support hole will be 8mm and not 6mm.

Karl,

Thanks! Thats very helpful. From what you're saying then, I can install
just about any cam/crank/piston/head/etc. set up I want, provided that
the combination is sane.

This is important since I want to replace the single port heads and put
on dual ports.

Thanks again.

Animal