Determining ignition coil polarity

Old November 21st 03, 03:46 PM
Orrin Iseminger

Default Determining ignition coil polarity

How do I identify which ignition coil terminal is positive and which
is negative.

I'm installing new wiring in a Model A Ford and the instructions
specify that certain wires should be connected to the + terminal and
other wires connected to the - terminal. However, this particular
coil has no markings on the terminals.

If I hook it up wrong, what will the symptoms be or how can I tell if
it is hooked up right or wrong?

This particular coil carries the "SP" logo. I assume it's the same
outfit that made Model A distributors.

TIA

Orrin

Old November 21st 03, 06:12 PM
dodgeboy

Sometimes the connection threads are larger on the positive side. They
will usually run both ways.
Barry A. Lee

Old November 22nd 03, 07:31 PM
Jerry Wass

Place a wire from the coil about 1/4" from a grounded part of the
vehicle.
Insert the exposed lead from an ordinary lead pencil in the middle of the
gap.
(don't hold pencil in bare hand)
cause the coil to spark--A brighter reddish flash should emanate from one
side of the pencil lead---This should be the coil to sparkplug wire. If
not, reverse primary leads.

Old November 23rd 03, 02:49 PM
Orrin Iseminger

On Sat, 22 Nov 2003 12:31:38 -0600, Jerry Wass >
wrote:

>Place a wire from the coil about 1/4" from a grounded part of the
>vehicle.
>Insert the exposed lead from an ordinary lead pencil in the middle of the
>gap.
>(don't hold pencil in bare hand)
>cause the coil to spark--A brighter reddish flash should emanate from one
>side of the pencil lead---This should be the coil to sparkplug wire. If
>not, reverse primary leads.

Thank you very much for the help. I appreciate it.

The Usenet continues to amaze me. Every time I've posted a question
there has been someone out there who has come up with the needed
answer.

This has been a big help.

Best regards,

Orrin