75 lectrics

Old October 1st 04, 10:34 PM
Catman

Default 75 lectrics

Had two falures to proceed today, both caused by the same thing (according
to the AA), no power to fuel pump.

Pump is probably OK as it seems fine when power is applied.

First time it was fixed byt putting in a new relay.
Second time it was fixed by......

...... putting in an old relay.

Any suggestions of where to start looking for the dodgy contact?

I would post this to the yahoo group, but I've forgotten my login....
Alfa 116 Giulietta 3.0l (Really) Sprint 1.7 75 2.0 TS
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk
Old October 2nd 04, 03:16 PM
Alfistagj

The pumps earth connection????

--
Ciao from Holland
AlfistaGJ (Gert-Jan)

"Catman" > schreef in bericht

Old October 2nd 04, 06:18 PM
Catman

Alfistagj wrote:

> The pumps earth connection????

Pretty sure that's not it, cos everytime we tried shorting the relay end to
live, the pump ran. Biggest problem is that it only comes on when the
engine is actually turning, so it's a two man job.

OTOH I actualy *saw* it fail today (top off the relay). It looks like the
problem is the connection from the switched +12v of the realy to the pump
cable. Every time we've 'fixed' it we've been messing about at that end.
I tightened up the connector and so far it seems OK. Fingers crossed.
Old October 2nd 04, 11:52 PM
Stef

In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
Catman > wrote:
>Had two falures to proceed today, both caused by the same thing (according
>to the AA), no power to fuel pump.
>
>Pump is probably OK as it seems fine when power is applied.
>
>First time it was fixed byt putting in a new relay.
>Second time it was fixed by......
>
>..... putting in an old relay.
>
>Any suggestions of where to start looking for the dodgy contact?

The relay socket. And check it real good! I had it on my old 33.
Finally I found out that one contact was not secured in the socket
so it would be pushed back if you put the relay in. But it would
_look_ okay with the relay removed. Solved by pushing in the wire
from the back and check by pulling gently.

>I would post this to the yahoo group, but I've forgotten my login....

Which group would that be?

--
Stef (remove caps, dashes and .invalid from e-mail address to reply by mail)

The British are coming! The British are coming!
Old October 3rd 04, 11:16 AM
Catman

Stef wrote:

> In alt.autos.alfa-romeo,
> Catman > wrote:
>>Had two falures to proceed today, both caused by the same thing (according
>>to the AA), no power to fuel pump.
>>
>>Pump is probably OK as it seems fine when power is applied.
>>
>>First time it was fixed byt putting in a new relay.
>>Second time it was fixed by......
>>
>>..... putting in an old relay.
>>
>>Any suggestions of where to start looking for the dodgy contact?
>>

> The relay socket. And check it real good! I had it on my old 33.
> Finally I found out that one contact was not secured in the socket
> so it would be pushed back if you put the relay in. But it would
> _look_ okay with the relay removed. Solved by pushing in the wire
> from the back and check by pulling gently.

Yeah. If you check my second post, you'll see that the experience seems to
agree with you. PITA to actually check though cos it needs a 'driver' to
crank it when failed to actually test IYSWIM

>>I would post this to the yahoo group, but I've forgotten my login....

> Which group would that be?

the 75group on yahoo......