Oil change for new car?

Old June 23rd 05, 08:07 PM
223rem

Default Oil change for new car?

Is it a good idea to get an oil change
for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

Thanks
Old June 23rd 05, 10:10 PM
Bob Flaminio

223rem wrote:
> Is it a good idea to get an oil change
> for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

Why? If it's a new car, it's got new oil in it.

In any case, there should be an owner's manual in the glove box. Do what
the book says to do.

--
Bob

Old June 23rd 05, 10:13 PM
223rem

Bob Flaminio wrote:
> 223rem wrote:
>
>>Is it a good idea to get an oil change
>>for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

> Why? If it's a new car, it's got new oil in it.
>
> In any case, there should be an owner's manual in the glove box. Do what
> the book says to do.

I was just concerned that the car may have been sitting too
long (several months) in the dealer lot.
Old June 23rd 05, 10:21 PM
Nate Nagel

223rem wrote:
> Bob Flaminio wrote:
>
>> 223rem wrote:
>>
>>> Is it a good idea to get an oil change
>>> for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

>> Why? If it's a new car, it's got new oil in it.
>>
>> In any case, there should be an owner's manual in the glove box. Do
>> what the book says to do.

> I was just concerned that the car may have been sitting too
> long (several months) in the dealer lot.

It's not like the oil really "ages." Worst that can happen is there
might be a little moisture in it from condensation, but that will boil
off the first time it gets hot. Most of the reasons to change one's oil
have to do with the abuse it gets from the engine running, not the time
it's sitting in the crankcase.

I'm actually not sure why the recommendation to change one's oil every 6
mos. if the car doesn't reach its mileage limit; I'm ASSuming that
advice comes from the assumption that the car must be used for short
trips, and therefore the oil is even more abused than usual.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 24th 05, 03:37 AM
DTJ

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:07:17 GMT, 223rem > wrote:

>Is it a good idea to get an oil change
>for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

Won't hurt. I change the oil in new cars at 500, 1500 and 3000 miles.
Then every 3000. Overkill? Maybe. Does it hurt? No way.
Old June 24th 05, 04:52 AM
JohnH

223rem wrote:
> Is it a good idea to get an oil change
> for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

I'd consider it if only to possibly remove metal flakes missed during
cleaning after manufacturing.

Speaking of new cars, if the odometer has more than.. say.. 10 miles on it,
don't walk away from it - RUN from it.

What has probably happened is (a) the car was used as a demo, or (b) it was
driven at high speed from another dealer. In either case, it most
definitely was not carefully driven during it's most critical break-in
stage. It will burn oil and have low compression prematurely as a result.

Old June 24th 05, 06:48 AM
Laura Bush murdered her boy friend

JohnH wrote:
> 223rem wrote:
> > Is it a good idea to get an oil change
> > for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

> I'd consider it if only to possibly remove metal flakes missed during
> cleaning after manufacturing.
>
> Speaking of new cars, if the odometer has more than.. say.. 10 miles on it,
> don't walk away from it - RUN from it.
>
> What has probably happened is (a) the car was used as a demo, or (b) it was
> driven at high speed from another dealer. In either case, it most
> definitely was not carefully driven during it's most critical break-in
> stage. It will burn oil and have low compression prematurely as a result.

10 miles???? That's setting the bar pretty low. Best solution is
don't buy a new car. Only an idiot does.

Old June 24th 05, 07:16 AM
C.H.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 23:52:53 -0400, JohnH wrote:

> 223rem wrote:
>> Is it a good idea to get an oil change for a new car fresh off the
>> dealer lot?

Changing it after 500-1000 miles is more useful.

> Speaking of new cars, if the odometer has more than.. say.. 10 miles on
> it, don't walk away from it - RUN from it.
>
> What has probably happened is (a) the car was used as a demo, or (b) it
> was driven at high speed from another dealer. In either case, it most
> definitely was not carefully driven during it's most critical break-in
> stage. It will burn oil and have low compression prematurely as a result.

'Break in' is mostly superstition nowadays. Manufacturing tolerances are
so small, that even a car abused during 'break in' usually works out ok.

Btw, did you know, that high rpm or hard driving during break-in are
better for the car than hour long freeway-driving with minimal rpm
variations under light load?

Chris
Old June 24th 05, 07:21 AM
C.H.

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 21:37:03 -0500, DTJ wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:07:17 GMT, 223rem > wrote:
>
>>Is it a good idea to get an oil change for a new car fresh off the dealer
>>lot?

> Won't hurt. I change the oil in new cars at 500, 1500 and 3000 miles.
> Then every 3000. Overkill? Maybe. Does it hurt? No way.

In Germany cars (including US models like the Corvette) have routine
maintenance every 10000-20000km, which comes out to 6000-12000 miles. No
oil changes are performed in between. The life expectancy of the cars
does not suffer. 3000 mile oil changes are good for one party: The oil
companies. $50 every 3000 miles comes out to almost 3500 bucks given a
life expectancy of your car every 200k miles.

Chris

Old June 24th 05, 02:39 PM
Scott en Aztlán

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 19:07:17 GMT, 223rem > wrote:

>Is it a good idea to get an oil change
>for a new car fresh off the dealer lot?

What kind of car did you get?