is oil leak normal?

Old February 28th 06, 11:47 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default is oil leak normal?

Hi all,

I bought a 1990 BMW 318i from a dealer last week. After I took it home
I found a small oil leak under the engine. I am aware that it is a 16
years old car, and after reading around the web, it seems that oil leak
is quite normal. How do I prevent this to be a big problem later on?
I'm an automotive newbie, so please be patient.

Thanks

Old March 1st 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks for the reply,

Do you have any links explaining how to change an oil pan gasket?

Old March 1st 06, 01:56 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Cheepy wrote:
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> Do you have any links explaining how to change an oil pan gasket?

You might want to say what it is, but it's probably not the pan gasket
regardless. Oil leaks down from other places making it look like it's
coming from the pan.
Old March 1st 06, 03:00 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Cheepy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks for the reply,
>
> Do you have any links explaining how to change an oil pan gasket?

I'd suggest you buy a Haynes manual. OK for simple jobs like that.
I don't know any links offhand.
Manual 1948 covers the 3 series from 1983 to 1991.
Have a look on eBay for a cheap s/h copy.

I think you'll find that with the M40 engine in your car, the engine
mounting bolts on both sides need to be removed, as the engine needs to be
lifted to completely remove the sump.
So, apart from a jack and axle stands, you'll need a suitable hoist or
method of lifting the engine from the top.
Providing you have that equipment, the job is reasonably simple.
Mike.

Old March 1st 06, 03:08 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Cheepy" > wrote:

>Thanks for the reply,
>
>Do you have any links explaining how to change an oil pan gasket?

congratulatoins on buying a fine car. If you are considering doing
your own serviceing and maintenance on this car (or any car!) do
consider buying a book. there are a few around, I like the bently
manual.

keith
1993 E30
Old March 1st 06, 03:14 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Well, that what i don't have: the method of liftingthe engine from the
top. What kind of equipment is that?

I've ordered a Bentley manual from amazon, it should come around next
week.

Thanks.

Old March 1st 06, 08:10 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Cheepy wrote:

> I bought a 1990 BMW 318i from a dealer last week. After I took it home
> I found a small oil leak under the engine. I am aware that it is a 16
> years old car, and after reading around the web, it seems that oil leak
> is quite normal. How do I prevent this to be a big problem later on?
> I'm an automotive newbie, so please be patient.

On my 1989 318i (M40) I've had leaks from the oil filter housing
(gasket needed replacing) and also from where the dip-stick tube fits
into the engine block (rubber grommet needed replacing)

Stuart

Old March 1st 06, 10:37 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

"Cheepy" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well, that what i don't have: the method of liftingthe engine from the
> top. What kind of equipment is that?

Ideally something like this.
http://tinyurl.com/fblje
They can be hired, by the day, weekend etc, but a block and tackle will do
the job, providing you have a suitable place to hang it. Garage roof,
tripod, etc. An easier, cheaper, but maybe riskier way, is to jack the
engine from underneath, then hold it in position by tying it to a strong
beam across both wings so you can remove the jack. Protecting the wings with
plenty of padding, and something to spread the load.
It only needs to be lifted a couple of inches or so.

> I've ordered a Bentley manual from amazon, it should come around next
> week.

Even better. I didn't suggest it, because at £40 plus, it's a bit OTT for a
simple job like sump removal.
Mike.