battery replacement (Novice)

Old July 17th 05, 11:29 PM

Default battery replacement (Novice)

Hi, All:

I want to replace my battery myself. I can disconnect the cable from
the negative terminal pole, but now I cannot see any bolt in the
positive
terminal pole (There is only a big red cap which is on the pole and
connect to 2 red cables) What can I do? Also, I see a very long pole
out of the battery tray, is it holddown bolt?

Thanks,

Rick

Old July 17th 05, 11:49 PM
NapalmHeart

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, All:
>
> I want to replace my battery myself. I can disconnect the cable from
> the negative terminal pole, but now I cannot see any bolt in the
> positive
> terminal pole (There is only a big red cap which is on the pole and
> connect to 2 red cables) What can I do? Also, I see a very long pole
> out of the battery tray, is it holddown bolt?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rick

Just a long-distance guess, but the red cap should pop off, and the pole out
of the battery tray is likely a hold-down bolt. Be careful when removing
the battery not to spill the acid on yourself (if it isn't a totally sealed
battery).

Ken

Old July 18th 05, 12:24 AM
Al Bundy

Rick, your questions scare me.
It's a battery. A positive and a negative liead come out of either the
top or side of the battery. Sometimes they do put a rubber cap on top
of the terminals so people will not short them accidently.
Take the negative wire off first to protect yourself from accidently
grounding a tool while taking the positive wire off. (This assumes that
the car has a negative ground as most do.) Safety is a good starting
point. Wear safety protection for your eyes at least until you learn
more about the risks.

Old July 18th 05, 01:11 AM
frank-in-toronto

On 17 Jul 2005 16:24:38 -0700, "Al Bundy" >
wrote:

>Rick, your questions scare me.

i suggest you have a buddy come over and help. altho it sounds
as if your intentions are good, you exhibit such a lack
of knowledge that i would hesitate to give you a clue.
get help. learn a bit more. you're on the right track.
....thehick
Old July 19th 05, 07:13 AM
NapalmHeart

"NapalmHeart" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hi, All:
>>
>> I want to replace my battery myself. I can disconnect the cable from
>> the negative terminal pole, but now I cannot see any bolt in the
>> positive
>> terminal pole (There is only a big red cap which is on the pole and
>> connect to 2 red cables) What can I do? Also, I see a very long pole
>> out of the battery tray, is it holddown bolt?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Rick
>>

> Just a long-distance guess, but the red cap should pop off, and the pole
> out of the battery tray is likely a hold-down bolt. Be careful when
> removing the battery not to spill the acid on yourself (if it isn't a
> totally sealed battery).
>
> Ken

I agree with the other replies that you should get direct help from someone
with more knowledge. If you insist on doing it by yourself make sure you
disconnect the negative cable before you do anything else.

Ken

Stupid Viper Alarm Starter Kill won't let me start car after battery replacement.. HELP! [email protected] Technology 3 March 28th 05 04:08 AM
Battery replacement comments and questions Tom's VR6 VW water cooled 1 November 12th 04 06:12 PM
battery question Jim Beaver General 14 November 6th 04 10:54 PM
Replacement battery for '94 E36 325ic Bruno BMW 4 November 2nd 04 04:54 PM
540I key fob battery replacement Barbara McMahon BMW 1 September 27th 04 05:18 PM