Bug died, now in rest area....

Old May 6th 06, 07:00 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default Bug died, now in rest area....

I really need help now. Maggie, my 70 sp bug 1600 is giving
me fits. Here is what happend. Stock my car for a long drive
from Tampa to Asheville, NC. Started on my treck and broke
down 30 miles into the trip. Fortunalty, I had loaded her down
with almost every possibility.... Almost !
Here is what I did ( on the side of the road, btw... thank you Mr.
Muir )
1. Check connections to the coil.
2. Checked connections to the regulator
3. checked fuel flow from pump
4. put in and checked gap on new points
5. put in new coil
6. put in new condenser
7. gapped and installed new plugs ( old ones: 1 week old, solid
sooty black )
8. ( now engine is cold, so..) Set Valves at .006.
9. Used static light to get timing close enuf to start...
10. Made sure that the air screws were close
11. Tested each cylinder.. all four 120... ( yes I brought it with
me ! )

Crawled to a lighted area off the freeway...thank God I had the
tools
to attempt all this stuff,

Now why is she blowing black smoke, running rich ? Why and how do I
fix. ?

What am I missing ?

What else can I try ? Jets ? New carb ? I have dropped the engine
3 times in 9
months, so I am getting pretty good at that part, but making this thing
run is
twisting my patience.

Please HELP !!! Thanks in advance...

Stranded...

Trey.

Old May 6th 06, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

P>S>... Before she stopped, shimmied, shaked and started blowing black
smoke....

Thanks Trey....

P.S.S.
Now home...car still an hour away...

Old May 6th 06, 01:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Zadamax" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> I really need help now...............snip

...............I hate to tell you to blindly throw money at a problem like
this but I'd go with a new carburetor or better yet, a used one from another
bug that's known to be OK.

.............When it's running, try looking down the throat with a flashlight
to see whether fuel is coming out the vent tubes or maybe somewhere below in
the carb's body. I'm assuming that you've determined that the choke isn't
failing to open up properly and also that it's running on all four
cylinders.

Good luck

Old May 6th 06, 09:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Give me a call if you need assistance. I suspect a spark issue. I'm
off tommorrow, and live in St. Pete. My number is 727-647-3854. I can
pull the carb off of my baja if necessary...or go through an unknown
used one I have on a shelf. I have spare points and timing gun...etc.
Hell I can pull a dizzy just to keep diagnostics simple. Pick up a set
of plugs from auto zone and go from there. Let me know

Gary.

Old May 6th 06, 09:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Gary Tateosian" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Give me a call if you need assistance. I suspect a spark issue. I'm
> off tommorrow, and live in St. Pete. My number is 727-647-3854. I can
> pull the carb off of my baja if necessary...or go through an unknown
> used one I have on a shelf. I have spare points and timing gun...etc.
> Hell I can pull a dizzy just to keep diagnostics simple. Pick up a set
> of plugs from auto zone and go from there. Let me know

..............That's a great offer Trey. Take him up on it. Gary knows his
stuff when it comes to wrenching on a bug..

Old May 6th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Thanks Gary, appreciate that ! I just got her back ( thank God I paid
AAA ).
Actually, I am in Bradenton...A little south of you. I will give you a
call.
And to answer the other gents question, broken down meant running ok
and
then started running rough and no power. Compression is fine.
Now that I am back I am going to try a few things in the sunlight.

Thanks again,

Trey.

Old May 6th 06, 09:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Zadamax wrote:

> I really need help now. Maggie, my 70 sp bug 1600 is giving
> me fits. Here is what happend. Stock my car for a long drive
> from Tampa to Asheville, NC. Started on my treck and broke
> down 30 miles into the trip. Fortunalty, I had loaded her down
> with almost every possibility.... Almost !
> Here is what I did ( on the side of the road, btw... thank you Mr.
> Muir )
> 1. Check connections to the coil.
> 2. Checked connections to the regulator
> 3. checked fuel flow from pump
> 4. put in and checked gap on new points
> 5. put in new coil
> 6. put in new condenser
> 7. gapped and installed new plugs ( old ones: 1 week old, solid
> sooty black )
> 8. ( now engine is cold, so..) Set Valves at .006.
> 9. Used static light to get timing close enuf to start...
> 10. Made sure that the air screws were close
> 11. Tested each cylinder.. all four 120... ( yes I brought it with
> me ! )
>
> Crawled to a lighted area off the freeway...thank God I had the
> tools
> to attempt all this stuff,
>
> Now why is she blowing black smoke, running rich ? Why and how do I
> fix. ?
>
> What am I missing ?
>

> What else can I try ? Jets ? New carb ? I have dropped the engine
> 3 times in 9
> months, so I am getting pretty good at that part, but making this thing
> run is
> twisting my patience.
>
> Please HELP !!! Thanks in advance...
>
> Stranded...
>

> Trey.

Your choke is stuck take it off. 3 screws and thing on the right of the
carb.
Old May 6th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Zadamax" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Now why is she blowing black smoke, running rich ? Why and how do I
> fix. ?

Is the wire to the choke still attached? Is it live? As a work-around,
loosen the three screws holding the choke adjustment and turn it so it's
forced open.

Old May 7th 06, 12:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

2 wrote:
> "Zadamax" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> > Now why is she blowing black smoke, running rich ? Why and how do I
> > fix. ?

> Is the wire to the choke still attached? Is it live? As a work-around,
> loosen the three screws holding the choke adjustment and turn it so it's
> forced open.

Yes, the choke wire is live and the chock is not stuck. I did
get her running on all 4 smoothly, now I just have to the Idle
routine that Gary helped me with.
Thanks again for all you help Gary, you really saved the
day with the wealth of info that you passed on.

Thanks for all of your help...Issue closed !

Trey.

PS> evidently in the dark, setting the valves, I did not tighten
down
intake on #2 cyl. Really screwed me for awhile, hate to admit I was
a dumb*** but, there it is in black and white !

Tks again.
T.

Old May 7th 06, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

"Zadamax" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks again for all you help Gary, you really saved the
> day with the wealth of info that you passed on.

*BUT*....did Gary bring his guitar and play you a song? if not, you missed
his other natural talent...way to go Gary, helping out like that...Gary, if
i call you will you come up and put my front suspension together? i already
narrowed the beam and extended(and layed inward) the shock towers.. inner
fenderwells are cut and ready......you up for it? i gotta work...