Noisy transaxle (A2 Jetta)

Old April 17th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

Default Noisy transaxle (A2 Jetta)

My 1986 Jetta GL is just shy of 300,000 kilometers,
and has decided to test my loyalty and commitment
by developing a prounced whine that appears to
be the final drive.

All the usual checks (oil level, etc.) are negative.
It really is time for major surgery. With zero rust,
zero body damage, zero oil consumption, good oil
pressure, and good fuel economy (just noisy lifters
at engine start) I'm inclined to fork out the $$$, but
it's a close call.

The worst-case bill for a complete transaxle rebuild
is still much less than the down payment on a new Jetta,
so I can't complain too much. I've still made inquiries,
though those inquiries have been more in the Passat/
3-series (sorry!) sphere.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Laura Halliday VE7LDH "That's a totally illegal,
Grid: CN89mg madcap scheme. I like it!"
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W - H. Pearce

Old April 18th 06, 02:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

And you checked all wheel bearings? They can also whine while driving. The
rears you can easily check by spinning the rear wheels and listening, but
the rear of the car should be in the air. lol

The fronts will change pitch as you slightly turn left or right unless both
are bad.

I will ASSuME that you hear this whine ONLY when the car is in motion!!
I have replaced many failed and noisy timing belt tensioners, but they made
noise with the car standing still. ;-)

If you conclude that it is the transmission then you could also install a
later model trans. ;-)
Just have to deal with transmission flanges and reverse light switch.

--
later,
dave

ups.com...

Old April 19th 06, 11:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

You also have to deal with the inconvenience of doing without the vehicle
while its being serviced. The car ain't gonna go without a transaxle.
A chancy thing to do is get a used transaxle, have it rebuilt, then
installed at your convenience. The mechanic may be more happy with doing it
this way as well. Make absolutely sure about it before proceeding this
route. Both with the transaxle and the mechanic/shop.
--
Jonny

Old May 8th 06, 05:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

I collected my Jetta from the mechanic yesterday
(Saturday), having opted for a good used transaxle.
They also rebuilt the shift linkage.

The replacement transaxle (look up "4K" in your parts
book - yup, an A1 transaxle) has a shorter final drive
and closer ratios than what it replaced. Diesel? Twin-cam
Scirocco? Dunno. The result is, as expected, quicker
around-town performance, but a busier highway cruise.
No more 110 km/h freeway cruising at 3000 rpm in 5th.

They didn't replace the speedometer drive gear (grrr...),
so the speedometer reads high. Drove around with
my GPS to make su 80 klicks on the speedo is 72
on the GPS. 100 is actually 90. And so on.

The rebuilt shift linkage is just about telepathic. I like it.

Having synchromesh on 1st and 2nd gears is some-
thing of a novelty. :-)

A good car just got a lot better. I'm happy with how
things turned out.

Old May 8th 06, 12:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled

91 and 92 jetty's also had a close ratio gear box. Fun around town but a
pain on the interstate.

JoBo

oups.com...