2003 Caravan seatbelts

Old March 3rd 05, 12:55 AM
Lee W. Thul

Default 2003 Caravan seatbelts

I screwed up bigtime here... I used one of those pet barriers in the back
of our caravan to take our two labs with us on a cross country move.

The dogs CHEWED ON THE SEATBELTS!! The two shoulder belts in the back of the
van are chewed and frayed. I know they are not safe in their current state,
I need to replace them before anyone uses them.

I checked with one local dealer, and he quoted me $650 parts and labor....
WOW! Special order on the parts of course.

My question is, are seatbelts something I could replace my self and save on
labor? Any chance that one dealers price on parts will be significantly
cheaper?

Thanks!

Lee

Old March 3rd 05, 01:06 AM
maxpower

"Lee W. Thul" > wrote in message
> I screwed up bigtime here... I used one of those pet barriers in the back
> of our caravan to take our two labs with us on a cross country move.
>
> The dogs CHEWED ON THE SEATBELTS!! The two shoulder belts in the back of

the
> van are chewed and frayed. I know they are not safe in their current

state,
> I need to replace them before anyone uses them.
>
> I checked with one local dealer, and he quoted me $650 parts and labor....
> WOW! Special order on the parts of course.
>
> My question is, are seatbelts something I could replace my self and save

on
> labor? Any chance that one dealers price on parts will be significantly
> cheaper?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Lee

If you are mechanically inclined, you can remove the panels and install
them yourself, get the part numbers and search around, you may find they are
about the same price. I would stay away from a used auto parts yard
Glenn Beasley
Chrysler Tech

Old March 3rd 05, 01:44 AM
cavedweller

"maxpower" > wrote in message

> "Lee W. Thul" > wrote in message
> > I screwed up bigtime here... I used one of those pet barriers

in the back
> > of our caravan to take our two labs with us on a cross country

move.

> > The dogs CHEWED ON THE SEATBELTS!! The two shoulder belts in

the back of
> the
> > van are chewed and frayed. I know they are not safe in their

current
> state,
> > I need to replace them before anyone uses them.
> >
> > I checked with one local dealer, and he quoted me $650 parts

and labor....
> > WOW! Special order on the parts of course.
> >
> > My question is, are seatbelts something I could replace my

self and save
> on
> > labor? Any chance that one dealers price on parts will be

significantly
> > cheaper?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Lee
> >

> If you are mechanically inclined, you can remove the panels and

install
> them yourself, get the part numbers and search around, you may

find they are
> about the same price.

The same price as what?

>I would stay away from a used auto parts yard

Whyzzat?

Old March 3rd 05, 06:16 PM
maxpower

"cavedweller" > wrote in message

> "maxpower" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Lee W. Thul" > wrote in message
> > > I screwed up bigtime here... I used one of those pet barriers

> in the back
> > > of our caravan to take our two labs with us on a cross country

> move.
> > >
> > > The dogs CHEWED ON THE SEATBELTS!! The two shoulder belts in

> the back of
> > the
> > > van are chewed and frayed. I know they are not safe in their

> current
> > state,
> > > I need to replace them before anyone uses them.
> > >
> > > I checked with one local dealer, and he quoted me $650 parts

> and labor....
> > > WOW! Special order on the parts of course.
> > >
> > > My question is, are seatbelts something I could replace my

> self and save
> > on
> > > labor? Any chance that one dealers price on parts will be

> significantly
> > > cheaper?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >
> > > Lee
> > >

> > If you are mechanically inclined, you can remove the panels and

> install
> > them yourself, get the part numbers and search around, you may

> find they are
> > about the same price.

> The same price as what?

OP Any chance that one dealers price on parts will be
significantly cheaper (THE SAME PRICE AS ANOTHER DEALER)

> >I would stay away from a used auto parts yard

> Whyzzat?

Why stay away from seat belts from a salvage yard? hmmm they are normally
there because they were wrecked. Most seat belts on todays cars have
pretensioners built into them. Normally the drivers side and passenger side,
Those tensioners have a charge in them like an air bag that will ignite in
an accident. Thats designed to pull you away from the air bag before it goes
off. If they do ignite, the seat belt will be no good, and if you install
one that has.....the air bag lite will be on.I just wouldnt want to put a
used seat belt in a car to get in an accident later and find out it didnt
work...... my opinion only