91 XJ: front driveshaft double-cardan lubrication

Old July 4th 05, 08:51 PM
Doug

Default 91 XJ: front driveshaft double-cardan lubrication

If I jack up both front tires of my cherokee, apply the parking brake and
put the auto-trans in neutral and leave the xfer case in 4WD will I be able
to freely rotate the front driveshaft so I can get to all the zerk grease
fittings?

Also, what's the double cardan joint ball for? In looking at the exploded
diagram of the double cardan joint in the front driveshaft (right next to
the xfer case) there is a ball fitting that looks like its got a grease
fitting. What I'm wondering is why you need this spring-ball at all. If the
spiders are handling all the load from transferring power from the
driveshaft through the double cardan joint then what is the point of the
ball that goes between the spider and the center yoke in the double cardan
joint?

--
there is no .sig

Old July 4th 05, 10:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Doug,
Sounds safer than letting the wife run you over. You'll need a
grease needle to get the center bearing:
http://www.billhughes.com/cvZerk.jpg Without that centering bearing the
constant velocity universal joints would wobble all over the place:
http://www.billhughes.com/CVJoint.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 6th 05, 02:01 AM
Doug

Bill, the thing is, I've never even been able to see that grease fitting
(for the ball), no matter how much I rotate the front driveshaft. Does the
ball and spring put pressure on the spider? Is this how it stops the
double-cardan joint from wobbling?

--
there is no .sig

Old July 6th 05, 02:05 AM
Doug

The thing is Bill, with the double-cardan joint installed, I can't even see
that zerk fitting (for the double-cardan joint ball). The skid plate that
holds up the xfer case is right there in the way, but even then the zerk
fitting is covered by the knuckle of the spider.

Does the double-cardan joint ball and spring assembly put pressure on the
spider to prevent wobbling?

Thanks for all your responses and advice too Bill. I really appreciate it.
Were you a mechanic in a previous life (maybe after you were in the army)?
What unit were you in when you were in the army?

Old July 6th 05, 05:16 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Many time I have to rotate the zerk pointed and shot it blind, as
the angle is too tight pointed down.
Seems like that spring would give a little during operation, but it
doesn't, it's a must to give us enough room to pop bearing cap over the
lock cog on assembly.
I use the term universal joint, maybe star to further describe a
part of it, but spider is what we call the differential side gears
because of the angle their teeth are cut:
http://www.billhughes.com/dana35c/dana35cclip.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 6th 05, 06:03 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes, I was a mechanic in the Navy until Pearl Harbor, took me
twenty two days to die.
This life, I rebuilt my first carburetor at the age four, drove
twenty five dollars cars on twenty five cents tires, which of course
needed a lot of work to get to school. Caught the hot rod bug in high
school: http://www.billhughes.com/dragster.jpg Did twenty years as an
owner/operator Chevron Dealer: http://www.billhughes.com/chevron.jpg and
burned out, and thought Sony and Will's characters had a good job seeing
the U.S.of A. So I became an independent trucker driving a million miles
with two logs. Doing normal maintenance took all my spare time, giving
me a bunch more mechanic experience, but not much fun at ten cents an
hour: http://www.billhughes.com/kenworth.jpg
I was surveyor while in the ARMY '64 to '66, and tested all the
artillery divisions and the Honest John missile in Germany:
http://www.billhughes.com/proudFcivilian.jpg
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O

Old July 6th 05, 08:52 PM
Doug

Bill, I noticed your Chevron station was near (or on) Foothill Blvd. Is that
the Foothill Blvd. that runs thru Sylmar, Sun Valley and near Mt. Baldy? Why
did you give up on your Chevron station? It looks like your station was a
full-serve. I always thought there was a lot of money to be made in
automobile service?

Was that pic of the Pomona dragstrip? I think that's the only dragstrip left
in Southern California now.

Old July 6th 05, 09:50 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Doug,
Foothill and East Vista Way, Vista, California. All station were
full service when I open my second station pictured in '72. About '75 I
turned half my eighteen pumps into self serve. They rebuilt it around
'93 after I left turning it into a grocery store, car wash, with eight
pumps. The light colored area was my corner:
http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.c...cVista%7cCA%7c
The Jacket was from Pomona fair grounds, where they hold the
Winternationals now. The picture was taken in my front yard, when I was
home on ARMY leave '64 to give me something to carry with me, to show my
buddies, while the showed pictures of their girl.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 6th 05, 09:57 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I just got tired of it. Some people call it burn out. Also I felt a
little guilty about the amount of money I was making.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old July 6th 05, 10:08 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III