86 escort diesel starting

Old June 7th 05, 04:14 AM
mg

Default 86 escort diesel starting

Hello

I have this 86 Ford escort diesel.

I've replaced the starter for the second time. I also replaced both the
starter solenoid, and the "solenoid" on the firewall.

I drove the car for awhile, and left it parked for awhile. I came back
and it had enough juice to turn the glow plug lights on, but it
wouldn't click, or turn over.

I attached another battery and it turned over.

I think there's a short somewhere. Because I get 14volts when the
battery is being charged from the alternator.

THis car also has one of those cluth switches. It won't turn over
unless you press down on the clutch.

Any ideas. It seems I keep going through the same parts.

Old June 7th 05, 08:54 AM
Ted Mittelstaedt

"mg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello
>
> I have this 86 Ford escort diesel.
>
> I've replaced the starter for the second time. I also replaced both the
> starter solenoid, and the "solenoid" on the firewall.
>
> I drove the car for awhile, and left it parked for awhile. I came back
> and it had enough juice to turn the glow plug lights on, but it
> wouldn't click, or turn over.
>
> I attached another battery and it turned over.
>
> I think there's a short somewhere. Because I get 14volts when the
> battery is being charged from the alternator.

14 volts is enough to charge a battery. 13.8 is the standard, but a .2
volts won't hurt
anything. And in fact with modern batteries, a bit higher voltage is
usually used for
charging since you get some voltage drop with bad connections and such that
occur
over time. And your meter may not be that accurate anyway.

> THis car also has one of those cluth switches. It won't turn over
> unless you press down on the clutch.
>
> Any ideas. It seems I keep going through the same parts.

Have you replaced the battery? That seems the obvious, and batteries last a
lot
less time than a starter does, as a general rule.

Ted

Old June 8th 05, 12:02 AM
Steve B.

On 6 Jun 2005 20:14:21 -0700, "mg" > wrote:
nless you press down on the clutch.

>Any ideas. It seems I keep going through the same parts.

You don't mention replacing the battery. Have you had the battery
tested?

Steve B.
Old June 8th 05, 12:10 AM
John S.

Have the battery stress tested and check all connections for corrosion.

Old June 8th 05, 06:08 AM
mg

The battery is good.

If I cross the two big contacts on the firewall "solenoid" the car
started.

Then it seems to start fine all day.
I do have try starting twice in a row. The first time I get no clicks,
but the second time it starts

Old June 8th 05, 06:22 AM
Steve B.

On 7 Jun 2005 22:08:05 -0700, "mg" > wrote:

>The battery is good.
>
>If I cross the two big contacts on the firewall "solenoid" the car
>started.

Then you have isolated your problem. Either the solenoid is bad or
the energizing circuit is bad. Next time it won't start try jumping
the b+ terminal to the energizing terminal. If it starts then you
have a problem in the neutral safety/clutch switch, ignition switch
or related wiring. If it doesn't start then jump the two big
terminals and go get a new solenoid.

Steve B.